Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many acres are you playing with?

Comment

A few of the smaller bur oak that I planted last spring are starting to wake up, the first picture is two weeks ago the second picture is yesterday. The 2nd picture the wind was blowing about 30 mph so the tree looks withered and stressed, but its actually not and looking great.
      Attached Files

Comment

I also couldnt help but buy 10 of these little oak trees from HEB the other day. I got half live oaks and half water oaks. For $25 a tree they where to good to pass up and hopefully will do great. I've got a mile of fence line that has nothing but hackberry trees in it, so these smaller oaks like this, I've been planting in that area because they are easier to get into the ground with out disturbing the roots of the larger existing trees. Hopefully the oaks that I've been planting in that area will have grown and then I can remove or trim the larger hackberries to let these oaks open up.

I also have a loquat, jap. persimmon, figs, and some little nuttall oaks in this picture that I'm going to eventually plant out there
        Attached Files

Comment

Enjoy following your our updates.

Rwc

Comment

I think pear trees will do well in your soil also. Deer love them when they drop fruit. I fully resodded my yard in Corpus this weekend. Man, it's dry. A think line of storms dumped .25" this morning just south of CC but maybe you caught a little bit of t.

Comment

MAP, PM sent. Thanks

Comment

I ended up getting my first gobbler off of this place the other day. I was not turkey hunting, but luckily had brought my gun with me. I drove by a new water station that I put up and saw 8 birds running from it. After my first gobbler, a few moments later I got my 2nd one. I didnt really think about it being my first gobbler from this place until I was cleaning them. I took the time to take a nice picture so I could get it framed with the beards and remember this day. We went from having very few turkey to seeing them pretty often.

Another good thing about killing turkey, is you get to spy on what the neighbors are feeding the deer. I guess they are onto some new protein offering with all of these blackeyed peas, I know both birds where full of it. I'm also looking forward to getting some lemon halves and making a "aniston turkey" in the oven.

This place is going to be such a turkey hotspot once I get water to that back pond and start planting different fields of upland game bird mix, and chicory with chufa.
                Attached Files

Comment

Also sunflowers will start to go in pretty soon for the dove. I like to plant different spots at different times so I have different stages of sunflowers that will last the entire season. I like having sunflowers that are fully mature at the beginning of September and other spots that are mature for the late December season. Some times it works and some times it does not.

Comment

Good stuff. I’ve enjoyed following along. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Nice birds. LOL on the black eyed peas. You should have caught some of that rain Monday evening.

Comment

we got alot of rain and alot of wind a few weeks ago, good news is the pond is 110% full again and all the trees got watered. The bad news is I lost 3 of my "favorite" hackberry trees and they each did damage when they fell.

I know everybody hates hackberry trees but when thats basically all you have, you have to save them and work with them. When I had the high fence built, I had it off seat alittle to save some trees. Well the biggest tree in that group paid me back by breaking and falling on the fence. Its a big tree and bent 3 T-post and made an accordion out of a small section of fence.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I think we had around 5" of rain and gust of wind up to 60+mph. I'm not sure if we had a mini tornado or straight line winds, but we also had alot of barn damage. Pieces of tin where scattered 200 yards away and we also lost several big mesquite branches on about a dozen different trees along the fences and at the HQ.

These two hackberries also fell and have really changed the look by the section of the pond. They provided alot of shade and just looked nice, now they are gone. The only good news is that 3 oaks where growing around them and at some point they will be big enough to make up for the loss. But of course when the hackberries fell, they landed on top of the bigger oak and broke some bigger branches off.....Sucks

The first two pictures are after the storm and before I even started on the pond 2 years ago.
                          Attached Files

Comment

We lost a good chunk of our HBs during Harvey but we have lots of other trees. I understand how losing the few trees you have is a big deal.

Comment

Looks like that will be a dive hunting hot spot! Congrats on the Turkeys and owning your own land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hopefully we get some more rain, to keep those ponds full. Looks like not only a good dove haven but ducks will love it too.

Comment

Working...
                                X