No announcement yet.

No-Till food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how late in the year can you put seed in and still expect results?

Comment

Originally posted by Onski69 View Post
      how late in the year can you put seed in and still expect results?
      Depending on where you are I would say no later than the 2nd weekend in October. I think you want to give the plot about 40 or so days to grow before the first frost.

Comment

We did something a little different this year.
        After getting rid of the cows, i disked the area we dropped round bales. It was ripe for planting. Decayed hay and cow feces was perfect. Broadcast some Evolved Harvest mixed seed. One week later, the deer are already hammering it and the new blind is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you! Any suggestions for real loamy, sandy soil? Going to try and get something planted after this batch of storms rolls through.

Comment

Originally posted by Onski69 View Post
            Thank you! Any suggestions for real loamy, sandy soil? Going to try and get something planted after this batch of storms rolls through.

Ours is real sandy soil. Walker County. Was it cleared and disked or weeds sprayed yet?
            If so, go ahead and broadcast seed and drag it with a cattle panel. Throw some 13-13-13 as well. Thats all we did. The soil is plenty wet to start germination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in south Wise County. It's just been disked. I'll give that fertilizer a shot.

Comment

In Hamilton county one year I threw iron and clay and Austrian winter peas on disked ground. They did ok, but they did amazing in the two spots where I flipped my harrow over and dumped the thatch from mowing just prior to disking. The purple top turnips did great after raking them into loose dirt. Clover did zilch.

I wish I could answer more relevant to your area but I haven’t done any plotting on my east Texas place. Dad has though, I’ll see if I can get with him this weekend and answer your question more directly. We too have a lot of sand and iron ore.

Comment

Working...
                X