• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great bucks

Comment

Shoot that 8

Comment

Once an 8 always an 8!!!

You've got some good ones to look forward to in a couple years. A lot of ours are either gonna be smaller this year, or are just "behind" with where they were at this time last year. I got tired of being disappointed with them, so I turned off my cameras for a while. Will turn them back on in a few weeks and hopefully be surprised. But most likely most of them will get a pass. We've always thought year 8 was our best year to target them, but sometimes at 9 or 10 they throw their best set of horns by far. Have no issues with letting them walk a while. Even if they were to continue to get smaller, at least we get some more breeding out of them. But for us if they are "big enough" at 8, we sure might want to take an up close look!

Comment

Here’s a picture of that non-typical buck. Bucks are looking healthy. We only got 0.10in yesterday unfortunately but there’s more chances today and the next 7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s such a cool looking deer.

Comment

Y’all are definitely doing it right

Comment

Love your thread. We hunt Menard and your pictures give me hope that the mature bucks we passed might have some nice racks this year despite the conditions. Thanks.

Comment

Man that non typical looks nice. Anymore pics from head on or the front?

Comment

Lots of rain today. Good luck

1.9” in Brown county
                    Water was running off like crazy in the hills and in town

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                      Lots of rain today. Good luck

1.9” in Brown county
                      Water was running off like crazy in the hills and in town
                      Looks like we got some as well. I'm hoping we got close to what you got, we definitely need it.

Comment

I’m happy to hear some received rainfall. Our weather station shows 1.37in today so that’s 1.5in for that week. Not much runoff but better than nothing. Our house in Dallas got over 13in in 24-hours. I wish that cell that hit Dallas would have hit west, central, and south Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          Man that non typical looks nice. Anymore pics from head on or the front?
                          I’m trying to find one and will post one once I get one.

Comment

We got our #'s back from the biologist and they recommend we shoot 9 bucks and 10 does this fall. Here are the #'s based on our 3 spotlight counts:
                            Acres/Deer - 4
                            Does/Buck - 0.61
                            Fawns/Doe - 0.79

Our goal is to hammer the deer herd again this fall, similar to last year, so we can get our herd around 1 deer/6 to 7 acres. We won't be shooting any trophies this fall but will shoot 2 to 3 6+yr old bucks and then try to remove the worst looking buck in each age class. I will post up pictures of the bucks we are after as we get closer to the season. Have a good one!

Comment

Thanks for that update
                              Anxious to see your worst 6.5 yr olds
                              I have only killed a couple / 3 my entire life

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                                We got our #'s back from the biologist and they recommend we shoot 9 bucks and 10 does this fall. Here are the #'s based on our 3 spotlight counts:
                                Acres/Deer - 4
                                Does/Buck - 0.61
                                Fawns/Doe - 0.79

Our goal is to hammer the deer herd again this fall, similar to last year, so we can get our herd around 1 deer/6 to 7 acres. We won't be shooting any trophies this fall but will shoot 2 to 3 6+yr old bucks and then try to remove the worst looking buck in each age class. I will post up pictures of the bucks we are after as we get closer to the season. Have a good one!
                                Great plan! I love it

Comment

Working...
                                X