Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
    Look @ bottom of the page , National wildlife refuge exotic or
    spread out your odds and apply for deer hunting also, because it’s unlimited exotic/ nilgai
    May the odds be in your favor
    Cool. Thank you sir.

Comment

I’ve applied multiple times over the past 10 years never been drawn for anything! With the loyalty points if you skip a year so you lose them? Also if selected how is the hunting set up? Do they give you a area to hunt that you have to stay in?

Comment

Originally posted by txbowhunter08 View Post
        I’ve applied multiple times over the past 10 years never been drawn for anything! With the loyalty points if you skip a year so you lose them? Also if selected how is the hunting set up? Do they give you a area to hunt that you have to stay in?
        You won't lose loyalty points if you skip a year, you only lose them if you draw a tag for that category. The hunting setup will vary depending on each induvial hunt. You can read the hunt details for each hunt and it should tell you, Some are compartment and others may provide an assigned blind etc...

Comment

Originally posted by jordan View Post
          You won't lose loyalty points if you skip a year, you only lose them if you draw a tag for that category. The hunting setup will vary depending on each induvial hunt. You can read the hunt details for each hunt and it should tell you, Some are compartment and others may provide an assigned blind etc...
          It will help if you apply for multiple hunts, not just one. I don't believe this system goes much by preference points anyway, maybe its a combo of those and number of applicants (?). I do know that I've been selected for hunts before with NO previous preference points so hope is not all lost.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowhunter08 View Post
            Each hunt will either be by compartment or by assigned blind.
            By compartment, you will be given a area to hunt and you can come and go as you please. You must hunt within that compartment.
            Assigned blind is usually a blind provided by the department. The department will take you out, drop off, then pick up. They don’t want you walking around and only hunt that spot.

Comment

I'd be curious to know the number of NonRes applicants each year. Although limited opportunity, Texas is by far the cheapest state for a NonRes to apply to. I wish TPWD would up the ante for NR to apply, even just doubling the $3 app to $6 or limited the number of hunts a NR can apply for in a given category.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                I'd be curious to know the number of NonRes applicants each year. Although limited opportunity, Texas is by far the cheapest state for a NonRes to apply to. I wish TPWD would up the ante for NR to apply, even just doubling the $3 app to $6 or limited the number of hunts a NR can apply for in a given category.
                And require NR license purchase to apply, like other states
                Bighorn sheep draw I have mixed emotions if NR can apply, but that’s a knee jerk reaction to how New Mexico, Arizona, Wyoming
                Idaho, treat NR hunters nowadays

And TP&W Texas has a Aoudad problem open up some more hunts
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-08-2022, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                  I remember hearing the director of TPWD address this on a podcast. He gave the percentage and it was extremely low.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                    I remember hearing the director of TPWD address this on a podcast. He gave the percentage and it was extremely low.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I would expect it to be. Other states are much more desirable with the draw hint offering and odd than Texas is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      I would expect it to be. Other states are much more desirable with the draw hint offering and odd than Texas is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Mike - Can you check your PM's?

Comment

Got my son applied for all the youth hunts. He's been lucky in drawing or standby hunting so I'm hoping his luck continues.

I applied us (grown daughter, son and myself) on the adult hunts that they can attend. Some applications just two of us some all three of us.

I applied for a couple hunts with my dad. The exotic hunts at Mason Mountain. He's not really able to get out and go like he use to so he just wants me to apply him for specific hunts. I'll end up putting him in on a couple more that I think he'd enjoy and be able to do.

Now I've gotta apply for hunts myself. Have a couple buddies that want to apply with me so I'll probably put them in on some of the applications.

Comment

The youth hunts are always hard for my son and myself to decide on. There's a few specific spots he always wants to try for so we do those first. But then it gets hard to narrow it down on some of them so we go with his gut feeling on what areas to apply. I guess I kinda get why they only allow you three applications per category (on the youth) but it sure makes it hard to choose sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
                            The youth hunts are always hard for my son and myself to decide on. There's a few specific spots he always wants to try for so we do those first. But then it gets hard to narrow it down on some of them so we go with his gut feeling on what areas to apply. I guess I kinda get why they only allow you three applications per category (on the youth) but it sure makes it hard to choose sometimes.

Make sure you get him signed up with TYHP.org if he’s not already. He just needs his hunter education completed and y’all can apply for lots of awesome hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                              Make sure you get him signed up with TYHP.org if he’s not already. He just needs his hunter education completed and y’all can apply for lots of awesome hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a really solid program overall. I try and tell a lot of people that I know about it. Believe it or not I've had a hard time convincing people to apply with them.

My son went on 3 hunts with them in 2019. We drew one and got asked to go on the other two due to cancelations. One we actually got called on a Wednesday afternoon asking if we could be there on Friday. The other hunt we got asked about 10 days out. We didn't apply in 2020 for various reasons plus they didn't has as many hunts. Last year we just didn't draw a hunt through TYHP but that's ok because he went on some through TPWD draw system.

The hunt he drew he got really sick Friday night. Tried sticking it out but he was just as sick Saturday morning so we didn't get to hunt. The one hunt that we got a call about he shot 2 whitetail does and an axis buck. Really awesome weekend to say the least.

Edit:

3rd hunt he just wasn't lucky. Most everyone saw several deer and killed a deer (I think 6 out of 8 killed something). Just wasn't in the cards for him that weekend. Still a very fun weekend.
                              Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-10-2022, 06:59 PM.

Comment

The H dude and Berk (her first year of eligibility) are signed up for more than 18 opportunities. I only put in for them including private lands and general draws. I think its a neat opportunity for them to see areas of the state they don't normally get to see.

TYHP is a solid program, but it hasn't been an easy draw for H thus far. His first year we got lucky and I just happened to be talking to one of the coordinators when they were looking to fill a hunt and he drew the Freeman Ranch last season. They prefer new hunters with little experience, IMHO. Which is great.

Comment

Working...
                                X