Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 10-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land
Default Simmons Mako?

Anyone shoot these and have any feedback on them? I really like the design and I'm shooting Iron Wills already but looking for a lower cost backup option with a similar design and performance.
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

Don’t think you can go wrong with them or Magnus black hornet
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #3
HCtracker
Spike

Hunt In: Bastrop and Coke County

I shot the Mako 100 last year and again this year. I bought some before last year season just because of the shape where they taper wider close at the widest part. I shot an elk with one last year. I thought Simmons was supposed to come out with a 125 grain but did not see it, yet.
HCtracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sore Finger!!!

I'd buy and shoot them if they were 125 grain!
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

Donít hesitate on the 125 grain Landsharks. I think you will find the 1-3/16Ē cut to be more than adequate. The Landshark without the bleeders is slightly more efficient and has a better ferrule imo. Iíve shot the Tigersharks for seven years now and canít see myself ever shooting anything different. Their unique profile makes an insane cut, the best Iíve ever seen for a fixed blade COC head. I donít use them on my heavier setup, that gets the 225 Helix but on most days the Simmons are in the quiver. Iím very partial to them, they have been with me on all my biggest hunts, and taken some of my most prized trophies. Iím usually not a brand loyal guy but IĒll recommend them to anybody based on my personal experience with them.

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2021, 09:08 PM   #6
Phorizt
Eight Point

My first pack got lost in the mail so I ended up having to order another which I just got in but havenít tried them yet. They are very sharp and look to be very well made. A solid version in 125 grains would be awesome imo. Honestly after seeing them Iím surprised these are not more popular. My initial impression is that i like them better than any of the other reasonably priced coc fixed blades on the market. Sharpening the concave blades probably scares some people away but i bought one of the Stay Sharp guides for that so it shouldnt be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2021, 11:00 PM   #7
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hereís a couple of pics showing the Makos side by side w Black Hornets and Iron Will Standard and Wide vented. Bleeder pic top to bottom is Mako, Black Hornet and Iron Will. Mako has the biggest bleeder and I like the angle of the bleeders better than the Black Hornet. Main blades are .05Ē thickness which is thinner than either the BH or IW. The Mako ferrule is aluminum and not as beefy as the BH(this is a 125 grain BH so not sure how the 100 grain BH compares) while the IW ferrules are steel.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:00 AM   #8
critter69
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
My first pack got lost in the mail so I ended up having to order another which I just got in but havenít tried them yet. They are very sharp and look to be very well made. A solid version in 125 grains would be awesome imo. Honestly after seeing them Iím surprised these are not more popular. My initial impression is that i like them better than any of the other reasonably priced coc fixed blades on the market. Sharpening the concave blades probably scares some people away but i bought one of the Stay Sharp guides for that so it shouldnt be a problem.

You lost me at stay sharp, Ron is a thief and poacher, do some research. I personally wonít give the guy any of my money.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top