Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 08-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #601
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Thank you sir for helping me decide on which handheld I needed, such great help answering all my questions. I try to buy all my thermal scopes from you, thanks again.

Ryan
I havenít got to play with that one, but Iíve goy access to a Helion XP50 I use regularly for a scanner. Itís a dam good scanner. That new Pro should be even better.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #602
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

I thought my buddy was given the new RICO 640, but it turned out to be the 42mm 384 version. That thing is dam impressive for a 384 unit. I’d say it was very close to my original Trail XP50 640 unit. It wasn’t quite the Trail 2 XP50, but it no doubt an excellent value.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #603
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Went out dove hunting yesterday evening, and didn’t have any intentions of hog hunting last night. Went to my cousins new lease he has with his dad, and while we were cleaning birds and BSing one of the spypoint cams sent a picture of a pretty nice boar. I didn’t have my rifles with me, but I had one of my LRF2s in my backseat, and my cousins dad had a new Sightmark Wraith he had set up on an AR. He’s bird hunted in the past some, but he’s never killed anything else. He just bought the Wraith in anticipation of this lease.

So off to the feeder we went on foot in the dark. I was leading the way, as I was using my LRF2 as a scanner while walking, and staying downwind of the feeder. Right as we got to the feeder the boar had sauntered off, but staying just in the brushline. He was weary I’m assuming of the new feed pin they had put up that day. The wind was highly in our favor, and it was dark as it gets so he hasn’t busted us. We’ll we sat up and waited him out, and almost gave up two different times before he’d make a brief appearance again. Finally 2.5 hours later he fully leaves the brush line and makes his was to the feeder. He’s a big boar. We’ll i instruct the shooter on what to do and where to place it, he makes a good shot, but not a great shot. He was hit hard and not in great shape. I carry a G48 and always have a quality pocket light on me. Not being my first rodeo we head back to camp and grab the ranger. We drive in close as possible before I jump out and head in after him. The brush is really thick, and it didn’t take me long to find him. He made it known where he was, and he wasn’t happy about it either. I just kept my 48 holstered, but untucked and easy access. Soon enough he made an appearance about 8-10 yds in front of me, and about that time he charged (not very well I may add). 2 135 +Ps dropped him, but didn’t finish him. Took 2 more behind the ear when I got up to him. He ended up scaling at 241 with some pretty nice cutters. His head is sitting in an antpile right now letting them do their thing. Hopefully in a few weeks we’ll have something to show for it.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:40 PM   #604
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Went calling on Friday night and ended up with 5 fox from 4 stands. I love nights like those when it is super easy.

https://youtu.be/qAxwLzxGcIg
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2021, 05:54 PM   #605
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Called in a group of coyotes last night. Took over an hour to get them to come in. Ended up getting one of them.

https://youtu.be/n9RZ-UYkG3c
Old 09-12-2021, 11:44 PM   #606
Bazo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I can

Got my first DRT night kill tonight. Iím loving the Pulsar XM30. This is roughly a 130-40ish yard head shot.

Walked up to him and he only had 3 legs.

I canít figure out how to load the video I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #607
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Did you call that coyote in? If so what sounds were you using? Also I imagine the file size is too big on the video you have. If you want I can upload it to youtube for you and share it. PM me if you are interested.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #608
Bazo
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
Did you call that coyote in? If so what sounds were you using? Also I imagine the file size is too big on the video you have. If you want I can upload it to youtube for you and share it. PM me if you are interested.
I didn't use any call last night. I just set up on a hill over looking a pasture where everything crosses back and forth. I did call Friday night on my first night out and used the cottontail call. That called in 3 and to be honest, it happened so fast I wasn't ready. I went to take a shot and found that my mag wasn't seated all the way so the round did not chamber. All new set up so all the kinks are out now.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #609
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Fixed the video, first link I put didn't have the pictures at the end of the video for some reason.

Bazo's hunt in the link below.

https://youtu.be/z60bBpJW_ZM

Last edited by Fordnandez; 09-13-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #610
Bazo
Pope & Young

Quote:
Fixed the video, first link I put didn't have the pictures at the end of the video for some reason.

Bazo's hunt in the link below.

https://youtu.be/z60bBpJW_ZM
Thank you sir.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:51 PM   #611
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Pretty impressed with the iray Rico 640. Iíve handled just about every thermal scope and this checks off all the boxes for features, image quality and battery life. The iray app also works much much better than pulsars stream vision.

kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #612
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post

Pretty impressed with the iray Rico 640. Iíve handled just about every thermal scope and this checks off all the boxes for features, image quality and battery life. The iray app also works much much better than pulsars stream vision.

Yeah I got a Rico 384 and I love it. The app is pretty solid and they just updated the live feature.

For the price its hard to beat. Nothing on my reap lol but not far off picture wise
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #613
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Pulsar app is awful. I have tried all the tricks on different phone settings and what not and i cant get it to work recently. Up till a year or so ago everything was perfect and then one day it just decided it wasnt going to work any more.

Edit: I dont use the app to stream or get videos off but it is the only way I know of to do updates. I know of at least 1 update I need to do but cant.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #614
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Pulsar app is awful. I have tried all the tricks on different phone settings and what not and i cant get it to work recently. Up till a year or so ago everything was perfect and then one day it just decided it wasnt going to work any more.

Edit: I dont use the app to stream or get videos off but it is the only way I know of to do updates. I know of at least 1 update I need to do but cant.
While I do think the pulsar app needs work for sure I havenít had any issues lately. Iíve got 2 LRF2s and an XG Thermion. Itís been working just fine on all 3.

I turn airplane mode on, and disconnect from the house WiFi. Then connect only to the pulsar, and in 2-3 minutes I can have any video on my phone.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #615
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
I turn airplane mode on, and disconnect from the house WiFi. Then connect only to the pulsar, and in 2-3 minutes I can have any video on my phone.
Sounds like what I do with the IRAY app.

Can download it in the field if I wanted to. Not that I do
Old 09-14-2021, 10:37 AM   #616
Bazo
Pope & Young

Quote:
While I do think the pulsar app needs work for sure I havenít had any issues lately. Iíve got 2 LRF2s and an XG Thermion. Itís been working just fine on all 3.

I'll have to give this a try. I can't get the Pulsar app to work at all.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #617
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:

Just tried this and I have tried a dozen other ways that people say to do and it can never connect. Worked great for the first few months and then out of the blue on the same device it decided to stop working. I have even unistalled the app and reinstalled it but no luck. I find it strange that I cant download the update to my computer and then transfer the file to the scope.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #618
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Just tried this and I have tried a dozen other ways that people say to do and it can never connect. Worked great for the first few months and then out of the blue on the same device it decided to stop working. I have even unistalled the app and reinstalled it but no luck. I find it strange that I cant download the update to my computer and then transfer the file to the scope.
One update I had constant issues with like youíre describing. I was eventually able to connect and update again though. I wonder if thatís the case. I prefer not to update now until Iíve heard some reviews and make sure people arenít having issues.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #619
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Ended up with one coyote last night. Was using a couple of rabbit in distress calls with no luck for about 15 mins, switched to a bird distress called nutty nuthatch when a fox came up right behind me and barked at me which scared the mess out of me. I turned around and fired a shot after he was behind some brush but missed. I think switched the call to grey fox in distress hoping to get him or another fox to come out when this coyote snuck up behind me since I was then pointed the direction of the fox.......... Shocking that I ended up with anything with all the moving I was having to do. I will upload a video later this week of the miss and hit.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #620
Fordnandez
Ten Point

I finally got my XP50 firmware updated. There is a stream vision 2 Beta app out there now that worked perfectly. I specifically had to do a search for stream vision 2 to get it to pop up. I deleted the other app and downloaded the 2 Beta version and all is good......... for now lol.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #621
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Ended up with one coyote last night. Was using a couple of rabbit in distress calls with no luck for about 15 mins, switched to a bird distress called nutty nuthatch when a fox came up right behind me and barked at me which scared the mess out of me. I turned around and fired a shot after he was behind some brush but missed. I think switched the call to grey fox in distress hoping to get him or another fox to come out when this coyote snuck up behind me since I was then pointed the direction of the fox.......... Shocking that I ended up with anything with all the moving I was having to do. I will upload a video later this week of the miss and hit.
That is one of my favorite sounds out there for when the rabbits aren't doing the trick. And grey fox distress seems to work great as a coyote sound as well as fox sound.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #622
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Another video Bazo gave me to upload from a hunt last week.

https://youtu.be/yZeUS4-fdD8
Old 09-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #623
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
That is one of my favorite sounds out there for when the rabbits aren't doing the trick. And grey fox distress seems to work great as a coyote sound as well as fox sound.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
I have had more luck with the grey fox distress and nutty nuthatch than anything including the rabbit sounds. I know that sounds crazy and folks are probably going to tell me that I am not doing the rabbit sequencing right (and they probably are right) but I have had the best luck with these two sounds.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #624
jofus
Nubbin' Buck

Any Rico RH50ís sold from now to 11/30 will get a free LRF with them. Priced at $800 otherwise.

https://www.facebook.com/10607209094...011221988/?d=n
jofus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2021, 02:54 PM   #625
duckmanep
Pope & Young

going to list a Thermion XG50 in the classifieds later if anyone is looking for one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2021, 06:16 PM   #626
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
going to list a Thermion XG50 in the classifieds later if anyone is looking for one.

How much?
Old 09-23-2021, 06:43 PM   #627
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
How much?
how much you got? haha.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #628
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
how much you got? haha.

Prolly not enough lol
Old 09-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #629
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Prolly not enough lol
sent you a pm of what I'm thinking for now. has an extra battery and will have qd rings too.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:31 PM   #630
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Not sure if anyone is in the market for an IR laser. If so, then KosherSurplus.com has the Steiner CQBLs at $589. That’s cheaper than I bought my first one 7 years ago at dealer cost. I snagged another one yesterday in case I ever feel the need to shoot with my PVS.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:17 AM   #631
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Got a redemption hog last night after I totally botched it on a group of 15 missed them all! Then I walked up on a little group I never saw them got either 20 yards when they ran out of cover and grunted at me. Shot this one with a 6.5grendel probably 40 yards.

BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #632
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County, Western Mountain States

Got me a sow the other night and hope to do some more hunting this weekend.

gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #633
static99899
Spike

It's been a few days, but got two pigs with one shot(I wish on purpose) hung my sling on the second shot, got another pig with the third. Using a Deserttech MDRX in 308 with a ATN ThOR4 640 and a YHM resonator. Love this setup!

https://youtu.be/pQpuiEzDvvE

Sent from my ASUS_I002D using Tapatalk
static99899 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #634
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Another video from Bazo. If anyone else has videos that they need help sharing PM me and I can put it on youtube. As you will see in the descriptions I put on youtube I dont take credit for the hunt.

https://youtu.be/2jXMu3EWdnw
Old 09-24-2021, 04:12 PM   #635
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by static99899 View Post
It's been a few days, but got two pigs with one shot(I wish on purpose) hung my sling on the second shot, got another pig with the third. Using a Deserttech MDRX in 308 with a ATN ThOR4 640 and a YHM resonator. Love this setup!

https://youtu.be/pQpuiEzDvvE

Canít wait for my resonator r2 itís going to be a long wait!

How do like the Thor? Any issues I hear itís very hot or miss on theM.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #636
Bazo
Pope & Young

Quote:
Another video from Bazo. If anyone else has videos that they need help sharing PM me and I can put it on youtube. As you will see in the descriptions I put on youtube I dont take credit for the hunt.

https://youtu.be/2jXMu3EWdnw
Thanks for posting. This thermal predator hunting is quickly becoming one of my favorite things to do.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #637
static99899
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Canít wait for my resonator r2 itís going to be a long wait!

How do like the Thor? Any issues I hear itís very hot or miss on theM.
The resonator is the best you can buy IMHO.

I love the ThOR4, it's only froze up twice in six months and both times a quick reboot fixed it.

I know some folks will balk at this next comment, but my dad has two Halo LRs and two Trijicon Hunter mkiii's and only the Halo has an edge on the ThOR4, and it's most noticable when humidity is really high. Otherwise, I'm going to say there's only about a 5-8% difference in image quality.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #638
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

So whatís the best thermal for this year?

Iíve been wanting the Thermion because it looks more like a rifle scope but want to make sure Iím not missing out on much better performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2021, 07:35 PM   #639
static99899
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post

Iíve been wanting the Thermion because it looks more like a rifle scope but want to make sure Iím not missing out on much better performance.

I'd recommend going to Cabela's or Ultimate night vision in fort worth and looking through them yourself. This stuff can be so subjective for the end user. Plus you always have fanboys pushing their favorite. I prefer my ThOR4 but my dad prefers his HaloLR. Just my 2Ę

Old 09-25-2021, 09:13 PM   #640
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:

Holler at Jason at Outdoor Legacy. He is a great guy and will get you set up right. Budget and average shot distance to determine what base magnification you need is a good start.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:56 PM   #641
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:

the one I got for sale is pretty awesome if you want a smoking deal on a used one. I agree with giving Jason a call if shopping for new stuff.... dude knows thermal.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:09 AM   #642
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
the one I got for sale is pretty awesome if you want a smoking deal on a used one. I agree with giving Jason a call if shopping for new stuff.... dude knows thermal.

Thatís a smoking deal!
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #643
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Had a couple of successful hunts from week before last. Ended up with two coyotes. I missed the fox but I thought I included it in the footage because if you listen close enough he was behind me barking at me at about 10-15 yards. Scared the mess out of me. Screaming grey fox brought the two coyotes in.

https://youtu.be/KTPXtcCWjwg
Old 09-26-2021, 04:02 PM   #644
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Quote:
So what’s the best thermal for this year?

I’ve been wanting the Thermion because it looks more like a rifle scope but want to make sure I’m not missing out on much better performance.

I’d look at Iray Rico 640 (iray currently has a special and you get the laser range finder for free) . I’ve had a Nvision halo lr and pulsar thermion XG50.. Currently have a iray 640 and like it the best. Hit up Jason @outdoorlegacy. He’s the man

Last edited by kkp005; 09-26-2021 at 04:11 PM.
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #645
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Another one of Bazo's hunts. Two hogs down.

https://youtu.be/-fsK0rYhsqI
Old 10-09-2021, 05:05 PM   #646
RedYote
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Finally
Attached Images

RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #647
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedYote View Post
Finally
I am so jealous
Old 10-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #648
RedYote
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
I am so jealous
I put down a deposit to get on a waiting list awhile back and finally got it. Its awesome. Hopefully I will have some actual videos to post before too long.
RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #649
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:

Not the thermion

Nvision Halo X gets my vote. And I got a Trijicon Reap
Old 10-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #650
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Not the thermion

Nvision Halo X gets my vote. And I got a Trijicon Reap

Too late. Got the Thermion 2 XP50 delivered this week.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top