Cheap Aggie Feeder Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RWB View Post
    As corn runs out of the feeder the middle falls first leaving more corn on the sides than in the middle. I worry that your ball is going to flow down wit the corn in the middle and clog the bottom of the feeder before all of the corn can drain out. May want to tie the string so that its tight when the ball is at the top of the funnel. That way the ball cant clog the feeder and you know all you have left is whats in the funnel. But I am probably overthinking it.
    This was my thoughts as well. I’m also a Neanderthal and just bang on the side of the barrel though.

Comment

that's what I get for hitting post before reading what I type...I meant knock on the side of the feeder. I have thought about cutting a narrow vertical slot towards the bottom of the barrel and cover with a strip of plexiglass and seal with silicone as a sight window.

Comment

As corn runs out of the feeder the middle falls first leaving more corn on the sides than in the middle. I worry that your ball is going to flow down wit the corn in the middle and clog the bottom of the feeder before all of the corn can drain out. May want to tie the string so that its tight when the ball is at the top of the funnel. That way the ball cant clog the feeder and you know all you have left is whats in the funnel. But I am probably overthinking it.

Makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
          This was my thoughts as well. I’m also a Neanderthal and just bang on the side of the barrel though.
          I guess Neanderthal's don't read too good either. From the first post, first paragraph.

...I had added a cone to ensure all of the corn made it to the spinner plate. Before I did that I could easily thump the bottom of the barrel and determine how close it was to empty. The cone kinda' makes that difficult.
          The ball is pretty good sized and I am a little concerned that it will fall into the center, too but time will tell.

Comment

Cool thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              I guess Neanderthal's don't read too good either. From the first post, first paragraph.

The ball is pretty good sized and I am a little concerned that it will fall into the center, too but time will tell.
              Slow your roll there before you get your feelings hurt. I wasn’t making a jab at you. More of one at myself than anything. Also, we were referring to the ball covering the hole. Not going into it. Seems like you got it all figured out and don’t want any feedback anyway. Good luck to you.

Comment

sounds like a very good idea.. as stated time will tell.... i as well have had the idea of cutting a slit and gluing plexy glass as a sight glass

Comment

Great idea. My buddy just looks at it with his thermal and sees the level. Ball and string or 4K thermal

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                    Slow your roll there before you get your feelings hurt. I wasn’t making a jab at you. More of one at myself than anything. Also, we were referring to the ball covering the hole. Not going into it. Seems like you got it all figured out and don’t want any feedback anyway. Good luck to you.
                    Yeah I'm sorry. I picked on you but several lithe made the same comment. It's all good. I can only reach the bottom 8" of the sides. The cone is about 8". I've had it for about 20 years but only recently put the cone in it.

Comment

DB
                      Looks like you can up with a simple and reliable solution.

If anyone decides to do the plexiglass covered slot, put it on the inside of the barrel. If it’s on the outside and fails your feeder instantly goes from single serve to Buffet mode.

Comment

Good idea, Dusty! I've got a plastic barrel feeder at my lease and it's hard to tell when it's getting low.

I'm doing this next time I go out.

Comment

Well dern it. This is exactly what happened. And I like your solution! I'll give thata try.

Comment

This is genius, going to have to try this

Comment

Actually I think what I'm going to do is tie the ball up and after a few months when I think it might be getting low, untie it and let it fall, with the knot as the indicator so it isn't continuously falling.

Comment

You should be able to just pull the string raising the ball all the way up out of the corn, then drop it to land on top, giving you your reading.

Comment

Working...
                                X