No announcement yet.

Dove plot mgmt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My peredovik sunflowers are looking good. Corn not so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, you got one ear. Lol

Comment

Corn actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. Corn takes a lot of fertilizers and several years for a new field will actually produce its potential (for farming) and you planted way late, heat takes a toll on it. With those ears, you should be fine for dove.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
          Corn actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. Corn takes a lot of fertilizers and several years for a new field will actually produce its potential (for farming) and you planted way late, heat takes a toll on it. With those ears, you should be fine for dove.
          Agree! I tried to time maturity a few weeks before dove season but that was probably misguided since it should stay good on the cob for a while. If I grow it next year I will plant late March early April. I'll also tried to build up some N before planting as well since its hard to incorporate it when it needs it most (mid to late stage).

Comment

Anyone ever plant sesame seeds? One of the best hunts I’ve been on was over a sesame seed field near El Campo. Was thinking a really long strip would be a good dove plot.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
              Anyone ever plant sesame seeds? One of the best hunts I’ve been on was over a sesame seed field near El Campo. Was thinking a really long strip would be a good dove plot.
              Yes there was a guy here in the Game Mgmt section that planted them last year I recall. I don't think he had good luck with them as the seed pods didn't shatter in time for the season.

Comment

Here is the thread on sesame. Looks like the seed dropped but birds didn't show until Dec.

Comment

I seen one of the seed companies (maybe Turner) has a fall seed to plant for doves. Has anyone ever planted a seed in the fall to come up in the sting summer.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                    Here is the thread on sesame. Looks like the seed dropped but birds didn't show until Dec.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ghlight=sesame
                    I remember that thread, never caught on it was sesame seed he had planted.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Getting to be about that time.

Comment

I just mowed my Turner Seed dove mix plot this weekend. Dove were coming in as I mowed. yesterday morning I was driving around and when I came to the mowed dove plot there were deer all over it. I hope the dove continue to find and use it thru September

Comment

we had about 1,000 acres of it several years ago, the dove hunting was stupid. We had unreal numbers even till the last day of the late season in s. Texas. It seemed to be almost all whitewings as well which is uncommon. We had so many birds that I literally drew a circle in the dirt and we wouldnt shoot a bird unless we thought we could get it to fall in the circle, who ever won bought dinner that particular night.

The problem with seasame is of course the size of it. That field had to be planted twice because a big rain the first time washed away alot of the seed even though it was planted and not broadcasted. Also certain planters have a hard time with the seed

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                            we had about 1,000 acres of it several years ago, the dove hunting was stupid. We had unreal numbers even till the last day of the late season in s. Texas. It seemed to be almost all whitewings as well which is uncommon. We had so many birds that I literally drew a circle in the dirt and we wouldnt shoot a bird unless we thought we could get it to fall in the circle, who ever won bought dinner that particular night.

The problem with seasame is of course the size of it. That field had to be planted twice because a big rain the first time washed away alot of the seed even though it was planted and not broadcasted. Also certain planters have a hard time with the seed
                            Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                              Getting to be about that time.

Are you going to shred them all at once?

A friend of mine with a place on the other side of Waco from you will shred (depending on field size) a few rows on the perimeter and strips through the middle before the season and then shred more as the season goes on to keep the birds coming in. They like to land on pretty bare dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                                Are you going to shred them all at once?

A friend of mine with a place on the other side of Waco from you will shred (depending on field size) a few rows on the perimeter and strips through the middle before the season and then shred more as the season goes on to keep the birds coming in. They like to land on pretty bare dirt.
                                Will shred 1/3 in a week and the others as needed. Yep been keeping my plot pretty weed free.

Comment

Working...
                                X