2021 Summer Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
    I noticed several okra plants browsed, but my deer density is abysmally low so finding browse on anything is difficult. I planted the okra in the mix primarily for its compaction breaking, deep tap root, and drought tolerance... any browse I got out of it was just extra.
    I know of a few people in higher deer density areas who have to fence the okra in their garden to protect it from deer so with enough exposure to it, it will become a frequently hit plant in a plot for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Makes sense. I will add it into the rotation for next year as we are in compaction-prone soil.

Thanks!

Comment

Had some time to burn yesterday so I went farming for light! Been 4-5 years since I gave the edges of my plots at the dairy a good pillaging. I’d estimate if lost 10’-20’ around the perimeter depending on side. On any field of any size your outside perimeter makes up the largest amount of acreage the fastest. I’ll guess I increased nearly 1/3 of usable plot. Plus got sunlight into the edge, which will also increase cover and browse. Front end loader and pole saw got it all cleaned up nice!!

Today I’m adding a layer of manure to sprayed and dead plot and hope to drill of time allows

Comment

3 loads were applied
        Attached Files

Comment

Nvm. Took me 6 loads!

Comment

Manure over turnips and grain thatch. Had I been more prepared I would have just broadcast seed and then applied manure. But drilling will be better anyway
            Attached Files

Comment

We planted 3 small plots Tuesday with “Spring Quail & Turkey Mix” from Turner Seed in Breckinridge. 3.5” of rain last week so it was plenty moist. It should germinate and then we’ll see what happens with rain. The planting is a part of our wildlife exemption. Got to make the effort whether we are successful or not. Lol
              We disked, packed, spread seed and packed again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

And we’re off!
                Attached Files

Comment

Good idea! I like that.

What does it cost, where do you get it and how do you spread it?

I am always looking to learn. I have VERY fertile soil and have grown whatever I want as we have a sandyish soil

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                    We planted 3 small plots Tuesday with “Spring Quail & Turkey Mix” from Turner Seed in Breckinridge. 3.5” of rain last week so it was plenty moist. It should germinate and then we’ll see what happens with rain. The planting is a part of our wildlife exemption. Got to make the effort whether we are successful or not. Lol
                    We disked, packed, spread seed and packed again.

Lawnmowers lol .I love it

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      Lawnmowers lol .I love it
                      Use what ya got! [emoji1787]

Comment

Use what ya got! [emoji1787]

I have field envy. My plot is so pockmarked with hog rooting that a lawnmower would get highsided in about 5 seconds haha. great looking spot!

Comment

2021 Summer Food Plot

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                          I have field envy. My plot is so pockmarked with hog rooting that a lawnmower would get highsided in about 5 seconds haha. great looking spot!
                          I hate to jinx myself, but we’ve never really had trouble with the hogs rooting up our food plots. They’ll do it a little but not too bad. For as much as they tear up other areas on the property we feel pretty lucky.

That little tractor my uncle is on is a 25hp “sub-compact” tractor, whatever that means lol. We have to keep the disc angle pretty shallow and make multiple passes but it handles that disc a lot better than I thought it would.

Last edited by Roscoe; 05-07-2021, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I hate to jinx myself, but we’ve never really had trouble with the hogs rooting up our food plots. They’ll do it a little but not too bad. For as much as they tear up other areas on the property we feel pretty lucky.

That little tractor my uncle is on is a 25hp “sub-compact” tractor, whatever that means lol. We have to keep the disc angle pretty shallow and make multiple passes but it handles that disc a lot better than I thought it would.

I would call it a SUPPED up lawn mower before I call it a tractor haha

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              I would call it a SUPPED up lawn mower before I call it a tractor haha
                              [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Comment

Getting pretty good germination out of my buckwheat (planted the area with the least thatch and highest ground all in buckwheat) so far. Hoping the rains come through as forecast this week
                                Last edited by txbowman12; 09-15-2021, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X