anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
    Anthrax is in the soil, not the grass. The livestock keep grass and weeds and browse eaten and beat down close to the dirt. Deer now have to really get their nose down close to or in to the dirt to get their food to eat that tender new growth. Keep their noses as far off the ground, and your odds increase of minimizing death.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

"Anthrax bacteria reside in the soil in many regions of Texas, but epizootics are more frequent in the counties mentioned above. During the warm summer months, when there are rapid changes in climatic conditions (alternating periods of rain and drought), spores of the bacterium can be found at the soil surface and on low-level vegetation where they are readily available for ingestion by livestock/wildlife. The incubation period is between 1 and 10 days. After the onset of clinical signs, livestock/wildlife die very rapidly, in as little as 3-4 hours. Clinical signs include depression, lethargy, and staggering; animals may try to get to water. Live animals often are not found. The first indication of an outbreak on an individual property typically is when carcasses are located. Often, the carcass will appear to be from an otherwise healthy-looking animal (no signs of prolonged illness)."

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      A friends place just south of Sonora on 277 in Sutton County found close to 100 dead deer and didn't see a single live one.
      Same story I received from a buddy that hunts in that area.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        "Anthrax bacteria reside in the soil in many regions of Texas, but epizootics are more frequent in the counties mentioned above. During the warm summer months, when there are rapid changes in climatic conditions (alternating periods of rain and drought), spores of the bacterium can be found at the soil surface and on low-level vegetation where they are readily available for ingestion by livestock/wildlife. The incubation period is between 1 and 10 days. After the onset of clinical signs, livestock/wildlife die very rapidly, in as little as 3-4 hours. Clinical signs include depression, lethargy, and staggering; animals may try to get to water. Live animals often are not found. The first indication of an outbreak on an individual property typically is when carcasses are located. Often, the carcass will appear to be from an otherwise healthy-looking animal (no signs of prolonged illness)."

Thanks Smart. This is what I was basing my comments off of.

Comment

A friends place just south of Sonora on 277 in Sutton County found close to 100 dead deer and didn't see a single live one.
          Was this a high fence place?

Comment

We are about 45 miles north of that....I hope that stuff stays below I-10...

Comment

In case yall have never seen here is an article about how anthrax was introduced to Texas
              Why livestock in the area between Ozona, Uvalde and Del Rio experiences high levels of anthrax.

Comment

Man, sorry to hear y’all have to deal with this. What Does this do to the land value or cost per acre to lease in that area?

Comment

As much as I'd love to hunt out that way again hearing about this makes me think twice.

Comment

Northeast Kinney County here. I am headed to the lease this weekend to check things out. I will report back.

Also, I called and spoke to the ranch manager on a very large well known ranch in my area yesterday and he said they haven't seen any sign of anthrax on their place. But they do feed medicated feed and dart/vaccinate a lot of their super exotics against it.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                      Was this a high fence place?

No. It's low fenced.

Comment

Originally posted by Doublelunger View Post
                        In case yall have never seen here is an article about how anthrax was introduced to Texas
                        https://www.texasstandard.org/storie...hrax-triangle/
                        There are some scientists who disagree with this and think that anthrax was endemic to North America. I think that I saw something recently that a study showed anthrax DNA in Pleistocene bone sites.

When pathogens arrived in the Americas is important for understanding the demographic history and biogeography of humans, animals and microbes of the Western Hemisphere. There have been two major p…
                        Last edited by ultrastealth; 07-30-2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doublelunger View Post
                          https://www.texasstandard.org/storie...hrax-triangle/
                          Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                          There are some scientists who disagree with this and think that anthrax was endemic to North America. I think that I saw something recently that a study showed anthrax DNA in Pleistocene bone sites.

https://contagions.wordpress.com/201...north-america/
                          Ahhhhhh
                          The great thing about Science.... A ton of it is constantly disagreed on and it’s always changing with new findings

Comment

My family place is down the Miers ranch road, just north of the 277/377 split.

I just received an email back from one of our wardens (Brent).

So far, no reports of anthrax down the Miers road. Although, I'm hearing 3rd party reports of some dead deer closer to the Devils River access.

Comment

Originally posted by Creedmore View Post
                              My family place is down the Miers ranch road, just north of the 277/377 split.

I just received an email back from one of our wardens (Brent).

So far, no reports of anthrax down the Miers road. Although, I'm hearing 3rd party reports of some dead deer closer to the Devils River access.

Great news Gene....hope it holds for yall!

Comment

Definitely not what you want to see when you go to the lease. This is one of many just south of I-10 in Sonora

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X