300wby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300wby?

Who has one? Pros and cons? Found a couple recently that I’m considering but no experience with it. I reload so that’s not an issue. Is it worth it over the 300wm that everyone makes?

A Weatherby Mark V can be very nice, and valuable. As for the power, they are a step up from a 300 Win. Mag., but with a 24" or 26" barrel, you will not see a lot of difference between the Win. Mag. and the Weatherby Mag. The Weatherby should have a 28" barrel or longer, to come close to burning all that powder in that case. I have one, but the barrel is going to get replaced with a 30" barrel to take advantage of the large volume of power in that case.

Comment

I have one, a 30yr old Mark V. It shoots incredibly well with Weatherby 180gr spire points. 3250fps is zipping for that weight bullet. Way way overkill for Texas deer, but I would use it just for its accuracy if I was on a hunt that might offer a longer shot.

Comment

Short answer, No. Nothing wrong with the caliber, but I'd take a .300 Win. Mag, or a .300WSM over the Weatherby in comparable rifles.

Comment

Great calibers!

I’ve had 2 Weatherby mags & they’re killing machines, killed an Alaskan black bear with one & cow elk with the other...ammo is much more expensive but sold both to fund other guns.

Currently have a 300 WM & took a big mule deer with it last fall. Easier to find ammo & different types of bullet styles.

IMO I feel they are almost the same gun in the field & on paper. I wouldn’t hesitate to own either but in my experience going forward, I’m sticking to my current 300 WM
          Good luck

Comment

I have 2, one a mk5, the other a custom Remington. If you want a .30 cal monster killer, it’s your best choice. I love mine, and wouldn’t hesitate to go up against any big game animal on this continent. Or a couple of continents.

Comment

My dad has had one for 20 years and liked it so much for mule deer he kept using it in south texas. It’s a hammer on whitetail. I liked his so much I got a mark v myself. Everything I shoot with it doesn’t take a step. All but one of my shoulder mounts was shot with it.

Comment

I also got some brass that’s factory and used once OP if you decide to get it.

Comment

Love my new one. Recoil isn’t as bad as I expected. Be ready for sticker shock when you price premium ammo.

Comment

I have a Sako L691 in 300 Wby. Very accurate and deadly. My only con is that as I get older I notice recoil more. After six or seven shots I'm done. PAST shield helps.

Comment

One of the best guns I ever owned was a 300wby markV. I sold it because of ammo cost. After Remington stopped making ammo for it I was done. I’m not paying 75 to 120 dollars for 20 rounds. Other than that it’s a beast ! Shoot 180gr NP and you can kill anything in north american and never worry if you brought enough gun.

Comment

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

"Go big or go home!" I have an uncle who absolutely swears by this round and that's his motto. It is a beast of a round.

Comment

I have a Mark V Lazermark, hands down the best shooting gun I ever owned. I’ve killed everything from elk to turkeys with it, it’s my go to. 30+ years old and with the ammo I have, it will outlast me.

Comment

Thanks all. The two I’m looking at right now are both Mark Vs. one is an ultralight and one is a wood stock. Both have brakes. Not worried about cost of ammo, anything weatherby is going to be expensive but reloading helps that. Sounds like is a good choice in the 180-200gr. I was looking at it for 180 accubonds for elk next year. I don’t have a 30 and as much as I was wanting to take my 6.5 or soon to be finished 280ai, feel like a collection isn’t complete without a big .30 cal

Comment

Working...
                              X