SHNF hunting 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    I think most of the OG’s don’t come around much anymore.
    No we don't, I just check in from time to time. How you been doing john and Eddie?

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
      No we don't, I just check in from time to time. How you been doing john and Eddie?
      Moved back close to home about 5 years ago. Bought 60 acres last year full of deer and turkey so no more public hunting for me. Hope you and your brother are doing well.

Comment

Pulled 5 cameras today lots of doe, fawns, pigs, two bobcats, some coyotes, a few young bucks and one mature 8 point. The 8 point was working a trail I found a huge scrape on, but I don’t think he is what made it. I’ve run a lot of cameras over the last 3 years and only found a couple of true trophy deer. I have a few more to pull wrote the season it was getting crowded out there today.

Comment

I haven’t seen much acorns in my usual areas - have you guys noticed a difference from last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
            I still step in just to look around. I dont hunt the Sam anymore. People posting locations on the internet , its gotten really crazy. Its definitely not the same as it used to be. The first few get togethers were fun, pizza shack and the fish pond.
            We still do get togethers but not as often Facebook group is where some of the old members are Dmack, hunting fool, Tod middleton and a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
              I haven’t seen much acorns in my usual areas - have you guys noticed a difference from last year?
              I did some scouting and did not see many oak trees producing this year I think the hard freeze kill the Early blooms. seen a few white oaks dropping and some water oaks with acorns the rest of the oaks are bone dry I didn't see any acorns on the red or black oaks.
              Last edited by Buck-Chaser; 09-29-2021, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck-Chaser View Post
                I did some scouting and did not see many oak trees producing this year I think the hard freeze kill the Early blooms. seen a few white oaks dropping and some water oaks with acorns the rest of the oaks are bone dry I didn't see any acorns on the red or black oaks.

I am strictly hunting in the white oaks, and I haven’t found any producing at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buck-Chaser View Post
                  We still do get togethers but not as often Facebook group is where some of the old members are Dmack, hunting fool, Tod middleton and a few others.
                  Dmack still flying his helicopter? lol

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                    Dmack still flying his helicopter? lol
                    Yea! He's a Regular at Cagle campground he's camps there all the time..

Comment

Well I just had my first camera stolen in the Sam. Not really a big deal as it was a cheap WGI camera. I am more ****** I didn't get to see what was on it. Here is my dilemma its one of my better areas and I have a lot of regulars in mainly does. I planned on hunting there Saturday morning. Question is do I still Hunt there or just write it off and move on. Again not worried about the camera as I use cheap cameras for this exact reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsig View Post
                        Well I just had my first camera stolen in the Sam. Not really a big deal as it was a cheap WGI camera. I am more ****** I didn't get to see what was on it. Here is my dilemma its one of my better areas and I have a lot of regulars in mainly does. I planned on hunting there Saturday morning. Question is do I still Hunt there or just write it off and move on. Again not worried about the camera as I use cheap cameras for this exact reason.
                        need more info. how far in are you? 59 side or 45 side? I hunted 4 miles from pipe gate and never had anything stolen because there weren't many hunters back that far.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          need more info. how far in are you? 59 side or 45 side? I hunted 4 miles from pipe gate and never had anything stolen because there weren't many hunters back that far.
                          I guess I don't understand why it matters east or west or .5 miles in or 5 miles in. Either way the area is compromised. its more of is the jackwagon who stole it gonna come back and try to sit there. Not that it matters but I've hunted the area for several years now and never had a run in with anyone. But to answer your question its about a mile back and west.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                            I think most of the OG’s don’t come around much anymore.
                            Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                            I noticed that last year.
                            I've been gone for 5 years, but I remember the get togethers and the opening morning lunch. And of course a little smack talk.
                            I checked into this thread for nostalgic reasons as well. I do remember getting together in New Waverly once. I have some good memories in the Sam. Pulled TONS of hogs and a few bucks outta there.

I am curious about how my old favorite area is doing. Last couple of years I hunted the Sam it blew up with people, after having it to my self almost all my life as I grew up nearby. What was odd is it didn't seem like I saw more people on the way in or parked at the gates, just more people in my little honey hole. It was weird and discouraging. I wonder if it has returned to normal.

Cut my teeth on public land hunting there. Still love the challenges and triumphs of public land. I don't like being confined to a few hundred acres. Sam shaped me as a hunter, for sure.

Comment

its going to be a wet opener. good luck to all. will be camping thru tuesday. got one nice buck on the cam yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by pelochas View Post
                                its going to be a wet opener. good luck to all. will be camping thru tuesday. got one nice buck on the cam yesterday
                                What camp you staying at. We are coming into Cagle on Sunday and Staying Through Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                                X