Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    Nice work!!

I looked into making some cellular trap gates a few years ago. Parts are a whole lot cheaper than ya'd think. And certainly a lot cheaper than what they sell for.

It’s much cheaper to DIY. I will say building/buying one that is more or less movable would definitely have its advantages. But I put this one by the main hog trail through the property and tried to go as cheap as possible. I had an electrician help me out with the gate dropper part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like you did a fantastic job!

If I remember right, the actuator for dropping the gate is the most expensive part, pending which one/type you buy. The cell phone circuit boards and transmitters were pretty cheap, pending where you got them. Fabricating the drop gate is gravy form me, me being a fabricator. If I didn't have a good job where I'm at now, and a place to put one or two, I'd probably be building them.

Do you have an anti lift devise on the gate door once the door drops, so a big boar can't lift it up? Looking forward to some slain piggies in yours.
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-07-2020, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Looks like you did a fantastic job!

If I remember right, the actuator for dropping the gate is the most expensive part, pending which one/type you buy. The cell phone circuit boards and transmitters were pretty cheap, pending where you got them. Fabricating the drop gate is gravy form me, me being a fabricator. If I didn't have a good job where I'm at now, and a place to put one or two, I'd probably be building them.

Do you have an anti lift devise on the gate door once the door drops, so a big boar can't lift it up? Looking forward to some slain piggies in yours.
        That gate weighs about 40-45 lbs. i put an old boar skull under it and when the gate dropped it shattered the skull to pieces. It takes some effort to even pick up and set the gate. I’m not sure if a boar could pick it up enough to even
        attempt an escape.

Comment

What cell/sim card provider are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Hog Grim Reaper View Post
            What cell/sim card provider are you using?
            It is a tracphone sim card through AT&T. I had to get an adapter to make it work in my gate relay.

Here is what I am using for the gate relay:

Super easy to set up through the app

Comment

If you can get the strawberries a food market is throwing out, when they ferment for a couple days the pigs will come for miles for the sweet smell.

Comment

Here is the traps first victim. It was a boar that appeared to be castrated. Is that a common thing?

Comment

Depends on where you are. Some people call that a 'bar' hog, and the meat is supposed to taste better than an intact boar. Keep the pics coming!

Comment

That is a slick set-up! Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      If you can get the strawberries a food market is throwing out, when they ferment for a couple days the pigs will come for miles for the sweet smell.

Nice. I will have to try this. By ferment, do you mean actually putting them in a jar or something or just throw some strawberries in the trap?

Comment

That's pretty cool. i might have to look into this, except I'd be up all night with it.

Comment

Very nice setup.

Keep posting the results.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            That's pretty cool. i might have to look into this, except I'd be up all night with it.
                            The Arlo is awesome. It's only $10-15 a month and you are able to set it up so that it alerts you when there is motion and then you can live stream the trap to ensure you are catching at least the bulk majority of the pigs

Comment

Sweet setup!

Comment

This is awesome, can you send price points and a how to build would be fun project I just have no idea where to start hahha.

Comment

Working...
                                X