Getting a broadhead out of an arrow??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a broadhead out of an arrow??

I have an old arrow that isn't any good any more. I need to get the broadhead out but it is stuck. What is the best way to do this? The arrow is trash if that matters.

Does it twist? I had some aluminum ferrules that had corrosion I was able to pull them off (very carefully)after unscrewing. Not sure that helps at all but that’s all I got

Comment

Steel broadhead shaft, and aluminum inserts, don’t react well over time. You’ll likely have to melt the insert off with a torch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        Steel broadhead shaft, and aluminum inserts, don’t react well over time. You’ll likely have to melt the insert off with a torch.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm sure there is corrosion or something binding it up. Really everything is disposable except the broadhead so this may be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Passafist View Post
          Does it twist? I had some aluminum ferrules that had corrosion I was able to pull them off (very carefully)after unscrewing. Not sure that helps at all but that’s all I got
          No, nothing moves but I have only tried by hand. I think if I take blades off I can put it in a vice and try to turn with vice grips or channel locks. That will likely be my first go but I wanted to see if there was something common and easy that I was missing...

Comment

Heat it as you try to turn it, it may just come loose. Heat it and spray pb blaster on the threads, may pull some down in it. If not, melt and peel.

Comment

Aluminum inserts melt real quick

I was messing with one trying to cook off some old epoxy. In no time half of it fell off and luckily did not land on anything that I cared about, including my bare foot

I would use some heat to get it out of the shaft, then put broadhead in a broadhead wrench and try to ease it off with vice grips first
              Like Dale suggested, a little PB down the back of insert into threads might help

Comment

Thanks for the help. I took the broadhead apart and cranked on it with plyers and channel locks and it came out. Paint was scraped off the broadhead but it is usable and in another arrow now.

Comment

Cut the arrow and pour your favorite lube in the arrow for a day or two.

Comment

Working...
                  X