No announcement yet.

Hard freeze and pools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All pumps should be running through the freeing temps.
    If you have a autofill line anywhere above ground cover that with something to keep it from freezing.

Don't forget your anti siphon loop on the sprinkler system.

Comment

You hope it all drains back into pool, 0 degree temps really call for winterizing.

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
      I drain my equipment and the pipe water level goes below ground level. If you do this make sure you hit all pumps, open pressure relief on filter and drain it, and don't forget the backwash line. I did this yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
        You hope it all drains back into pool, 0 degree temps really call for winterizing.
        Been doing it this way for 20 years. Not all drains into the pool, I also drain the backwash line.

Comment

Been doing it this way for 20 years. Not all drains into the pool, I also drain the backwash line.
          We haven't had this kind of weather since 1983

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            We haven't had this kind of weather since 1983
            If there is no water in the equipment it can't do damage. Running works great as long as you have power. I am not worried about it.

Comment

Lots of good information on here. I decided to text the owner of the pool company that does my weekly cleaning. He is coming over personally to make sure my pool and fountain are good to geaux!

Comment

If there is no water in the equipment it can't do damage. Running works great as long as you have power. I am not worried about it.
                I'm not a pool guy anymore and glad I don't have one now, but based off some other threads about freeze rates, if it isn't covered, it could freeze over 12 " thick before this is over. I would think that would bust out the skimmers. Best of luck to all the guys with pools

Comment

30 lb drum of Polyethylene glycol powder and it won't freeze. It's what they use to deice aircraft with at DFW. Can also be used as a laxative.

Comment

Granular swimming pool chlorine (calcium hypochlorite) and brake fluid (polyethylene glycol) react violently when mixed together, producing a fierce fireball. This paper proposes a mechanism which explains the production of the flammable products of the reaction by means of a radical fragmentation of polyethylene glycol.

As stated above can be used as a laxative

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                      Lots of good information on here. I decided to text the owner of the pool company that does my weekly cleaning. He is coming over personally to make sure my pool and fountain are good to geaux!
                      Good idea! Mine is not a new pool and my equipment is all manual (no computer) and pretty simple if it busts the pvc thats exposed. I'm just hoping for nothing to bust that i can't easily get to, just put down about 2k sf of pavers around the pool

Comment

Put both regular pump and aux2(waterfall) on freeze protect, wrapped the pipe in a blanket, and covered it with a tarp.

Its on the south side of the house and enclosed in a small fence thats inside another privacy fence. It doesn't get any air hitting it anyway.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Run everything when temps are sustained below freezing for extended hours.

Don't be foolish. The power is much cheaper than the repairs.

Comment

Did a lot of reading today, be sure water level is maintained at a normal rate to avoid slow flow through the sytem. Also check that skimmers and skimmer baskets are clean to avoid water flow restriction. Best of luck to all!

ac

Comment

All pumps on.

Comment

If it is in ground, I would be draining it now, or dump a lot of antifreeze or alcohol in it.

The people I have known who had in ground pools, drained them, during the winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X