Hard freeze and pools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard freeze and pools

Those who have experience this cold with pools before, any advice for us who haven't. Just set freeze protect and let it go? Pump is going to be running 24-7 with it at the temps forecasted. Anything else that we should do?

Do I put my waterfall on freeze protect or just the main pump?

Following, great question for a new pool owner here too.

ac

Comment

If you have a separate pump for your waterfall, yes keep it running.

Comment

Be prepare in the event of power failure and your manual should tell you want you need to do. It has been about 10 years but we had to do it one night but I can't remember what it was. All I vaguely remember is having to fill a 2 liter bottle with antifreeze and put it in the skimmer, open up the filter basket on pump, vent system, etc.....

Comment

We just keep ours running 24/7 when the temps are going to be below freezing for hours at a time. I forgot one year and the water was frozen solid in there for a couple of days. Luckily nothing cracked.

Comment

Keep everything going and fingers crossed.

Comment

Yes, keep pumps on all day and night. Your motors should detect below 38 degrees I think and automatically stay on. I have pool and spa heaters on also. I am considering all water features also.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm leaving my pump on and dropping one of those shipping shipping blankets over the plumbing in Rockport, hopefully that gets us thru.

Comment

Freeze protection here too, I called as this is my 1st cold snap with a pool and my pool guy said letter eat!

Anyone up for a polar plunge monday?

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                    Those who have experience this cold with pools before, any advice for us who haven't. Just set freeze protect and let it go? Pump is going to be running 24-7 with it at the temps forecasted. Anything else that we should do?

Do I put my waterfall on freeze protect or just the main pump?
                    Pump should automatically cut on when it reaches below freezing. I've never done anything to any of my pools for winterizing. Pump just cuts on and does its work.

Comment

You can drain all the pumps and the tank that holds the filters if the power goes out. There are drains on all the pumps should be a black knob on the side if needed other than that run it 24/7

Comment

Run all pumps 24/7 all you do.

Comment

Mine has a temp sensor and runs everything when its cold.

Yesterday my pool guy told me yesterday that I had a leak and he couldn't get parts. So we had to shut everything off and drain the pump and filters

Comment

So run water features too? I understand it, but I'm thinking I'll end up with one big ice feature and a lot of water not going through the pumps as it is suspended in ice!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                              So run water features too? I understand it, but I'm thinking I'll end up with one big ice feature and a lot of water not going through the pumps as it is suspended in ice!
                              My thoughts exactly! My pumps are all running and water features too but low single digits might freeze my waterfalls up.

Any need to cover the pumps/equipment with blankets?

ac

Comment

Working...
                              X