No announcement yet.

"Official" Sam Houston National Forest 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a good bit of scouting today with a couple of nice locations found for rifle season. I just could not find what I felt to be a good bow setup though.

On another note I was scouting and looked down and there lay a hog tusk lol...First time too ever find one in the woods. It was about 4in long.

Comment

Originally posted by roguecraft101 View Post
      In climbing down at 7... 7:01 is official cut off for legal shooting time lol
      Isn't legal shooting hours .5 hour before sunrise til .5 hour after sunset?

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
        Isn't legal shooting hours .5 hour before sunrise til .5 hour after sunset?
        yes, I usually stay to the last minute, otherwise it will bother me later

Comment

Pretty sure it's .5 before sunrise till sunset not after sunset
          Someone check? In driving... (I think it has to do with game retrieval )

Comment

Pretty sure it's .5 before sunrise till sunset not after sunset
            Someone check? In driving... (I think it has to do with game retrieval )
            You can legally hunt deer in TX till 30 minutes after sunset.

Watefowl hunting, however, does end at sunset. Just a tidbit of extra info. for ya'.

Comment

Well done Sarge. Outstanding!!!

Comment

Got everything ready to go for the morning. Will be leaving Katy @ 0300, mission: over watch intelligence area, eliminate legal deer in contact range.

Comment

Originally posted by ajmartinez View Post
                  Got everything ready to go for the morning. Will be leaving Katy @ 0300, mission: over watch intelligence area, eliminate legal deer in contact range.
                  Negative you are to observe and report locations. Do not engage!

Comment

Negative you are to observe and report locations. Do not engage!
                    Unlawful order, summarily ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
                      This excerpt is taken from the Public Hunting book, page xi:

Prohibited Acts:

Hunter Orange:

Fails to visible wear at least 400 square inches of hunter orange material with orange headwear and at least 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back during daylight hours at times when hunting with firearms is permited. Exempt from these requirements are: (1) authorized department personnel and landowner employess, (2) persons hunting turkey or migratory birds, (3) persons within the enclosed passenger compartment of a motor hehicle, (4) persons within a designated campground, designated vehicle parking area, designated boat launching facility or departmental check station, and (5) persons other than hunters on COE properties.

NOTICE to archery hunters and recreational users:You must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit. Many units allow firearm hunting year-round for rabbits, and firearm hunts for squirrel and dove often are conducted concurrently with archery deer hunts.

After reading this I can see how they could cite you because you are on the UNIT 905, which allows firearm hunting. I guess I will be wearing my orange now
                      Whew, I was glad to see you said this ^^^^^after reading your earlier post! This fella already got a ticket this year for not wearing his orange in the Archery Only section:
                      VVVVV
                      Originally posted by dmack View Post
                      So jealous. Wish I was back out there. This weekend was wet for sherry and I. Also you better have your orange on. Vest and hat. Even in the archery only. I hot a 171.00 to let for not having mine on. :-/

Comment

Sorry AJMag -- Didn't see your post above. (#1327) You had beat me to it!

Comment

Settled in a tree after three trip up the darn thing. Thought I had everything ready. Climbed. Pulled my bow rope up only to realize I didn't tie it to the bow. Climbed down. Tied the bow. Climbed up. Looked for the rope and it came undone from the stand. Climbed down. Got rope and tied it to the stand. Climbed up. Now I'm ready!

Comment

Originally posted by aceshooter01 View Post
                            Settled in a tree after three trip up the darn thing. Thought I had everything ready. Climbed. Pulled my bow rope up only to realize I didn't tie it to the bow. Climbed down. Tied the bow. Climbed up. Looked for the rope and it came undone from the stand. Climbed down. Got rope and tied it to the stand. Climbed up. Now I'm ready!
                            Lol, laughing with you, God has a way of making us not take ourselves too seriously. I'm all set in my tree as well, but I'm not in the Sam this morning. Good luck Ace

Comment

I'm at 25 feet today. Already her deer moving. Brought the infrared camera and thought I'd get some cool pics but the dang thing keeps nucing which makes too much noise.

Comment

Lets hear about some dead deer today.
                                Will be out tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X