No announcement yet.

Meyer Lemons signs of life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No signs of life on 2 of my 3 20 year old trees. One has some sprouts at the base coming up. Going to look for an arborist to check them out and some other plants before spending money on all new landscape

Comment

I know a guy who has a huge Myers Lemon tree, it looked very bad, right after the freeze, I noticed it has some new leaves on it, as of a week or two ago.

Those Myers Lemons are great, my wife has been making a lot of lemonade from lemons from that one tree. So last year, I decided to buy a couple of them found out, every place I could find in the country, that sells any type of citrus tress, will not ship to Texas and most of the other far south states. So I looked into growing some from seeds. I read that most likely you would not grow and would not grow as a Myers Lemon tree, since it's a hybrid.

What I read, was to start them from clippings. I bought some rooting powder and tried the methods I found on the internet. The thing they did not talk about on the internet, is which time of the year to try starting the clippings. I tried to start some clippings at the end of this past summer. Some of them were dead, within a couple weeks, a couple made it for a few months before dropping all of their leaves and turning brown.

So I planned on starting some more clippings about now, again with some clippings from that one big tree. But then that tree, looked like it was possibly dead. So I was worried, I would never get a Myers Lemon tree. Then a few weeks ago, we were at Home Depot, and found they had a lot of Myers Lemons. So we bought a couple. One is already blooming. Then last week, I saw that Tom's Myers Lemon tree, had green leaves. So it looks like that tree survived and we got Myers Lemon trees and I did not have to acquire a green thumb and a miracle to get some Myers Lemon trees.

I am still a bit irritated that, you can't get on the internet and order lemons, oranges, limes or any other citrus in Texas, even through Home Depot. It's listed as illegal, but you can go do to Home Depot and buy lemon, orange, and lime trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        My 20 year old tree is deader than a doornail. Wife is very upset.
        Crap! I had plans man.......I had plans!!! 😩😩

I lost the 2 I planted here last summer as well. Had them both wrapped extensively with bubble wrap, bagged and heavily mulched and they still didn’t make it. I’ll be replacing soon with only potted plants and just bring them in during the winter.

Comment

Lost my 2 Meyers, limequat, Republic of Texas orange and both my Arbequina olives. Going with pots and dwarf species from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            My 20 year old tree is deader than a doornail. Wife is very upset.
            I wager $20 you get a root sucker...if in ground.
            Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-12-2021, 10:16 PM. Reason: InGroundSpake

Comment

Unfortunately, we will be replacing our lemon, lime, and orange trees. Pretty much sucks.

Comment

Mine are dead . Fixing to pull them up and replant .

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  I wager $20 you get a root sucker...if in ground.
                  I wouldn't know a root sucker from a leaf blower.

Comment

Ours are just dead sticks!

Comment

Any good source on getting citrus trees shipped in Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by Royal21973 View Post
                        Any good source on getting citrus trees shipped in Texas?
                        Brazos Citrus Nursery, we grow over 100,000 high quality 3 gallon citrus and fruit trees per year, as well as 7 and 10 gallon of both.

Comment

I planted 3 peach trees and two loquat trees last year and they seems to have all made it. The peach trees are actually looking pretty darn good. I almost bought a couple of meyer's last year and now I'm glad I didn't. I'm going to try to located 2 or 3 of them now and get them in the ground along with a few lime trees.

Comment

I have a Ponderosa Lemon tree and it appears to have survived the week of ice.

Comment

Working...
                            X