No announcement yet.

Going rate for cattle lease.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it was under AG exemption just file for Wildlife Exemption. Place feeders, trail cams and show your taking care of the wildlife. Mine came out cheaper than AG.
    Last edited by Antlers86; 04-12-2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
      Wow. I don't know how a rancher could make much money at $20 per head per month.
      The guy that is leasing it is making X amount per head a month to take care of the cows from a bigger ranch. Hes not making as much on that piece of land as his other lease spots but he gets his monthly price no matter what the cattle market does.

At least thats the way I understood it when it was explained to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex21 View Post
        The guy that is leasing it is making X amount per head a month to take care of the cows from a bigger ranch. Hes not making as much on that piece of land as his other lease spots but he gets his monthly price no matter what the cattle market does.

At least thats the way I understood it when it was explained to me.
        Yep this is known as custom grazing.

Comment

I have 40 acres in Anderson Co. that I lease for $1,000.00 per year for grazing...good fences, plenty of Coastal and Bahia, 2 stock tanks, good pipe corral/working pen,
          he makes any needed fence repairs, keeps it mowed, fertilized and sprayed for weeds.

Comment

Can’t help on price per acre for the area, but few land owners want to spend large amounts of money for improvements. If we pay for new fence or plant coastal it’s put in contract that it's prorated for 20yrs that we are reimbursed the cost if we loose the lease for any reason within that time. Works well for both parties. I assume your land is for recreation and hunting, I’d find a neighbor and have in the contract that the cows come off in September and back on in January so you don’t have to deal with cows through the season, he gets grazing and you keep the exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by Collier View Post
              If he's having to feed round bales every week of the year. It would have to be free, or he has it way over stocked
              Agree!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                If it was under AG exemption just file for Wildlife Exemption. Place feeders, trail cams and show your taking care of the wildlife. Mine came out cheaper than AG.
                This here, win-win

Comment

We have 4 grass leases in Parker county and dont pay for any of them, we trade it out in work. Fence/road work, gates etc. Rancher is getting up there in age so I bought a new automatic gate opener and installed it for him.

Comment

In Mills county for native grass places the leases run around 10 dollars per acre. Some are higher depending on the grass.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                      x2!

and be done with it. Musta already been in AG tho

Comment

Timely thread for me... just bought a 70 acre place just south of Brenham and it had cows on it when I bought it. I told him to keep them there so I can have the Ag exemption.
                        From the looks of the pastures, nothing has been done in years. Speaking with the guy that has the cattle, he never met the previous owners. the pastures are not in good shape, so it sounds like I need to have another meeting with the cattle guy about expectations or buy myself a few head of cattle.

Comment

Not trying to make you feel bad.

But if previous guy had to feed round bales every week...

Comment

I think you can Google Ag Lease Rates in Texas. There is a bi-annual report by region. Actually, Tiffany Lashmet may have it on her Ag Law Blog. Google that.

Comment

Don't even do that, just convert the ag exemption over to wildlife exemption and you will be much happier! Same exemptions, and then you don't worry about keeping cattle on it.

Comment

Can you still run cattle occasionally with the wildlife exemption?

Comment

Working...
                                X