Going rate for cattle lease.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going rate for cattle lease.

I just bought some land in the Hamilton area and want to keep the ag exemption in place.

I live in the DFW area and can’t check property daily so I want to lease.

More about the property.

This property is unimproved.
    Fence lines hold but could use some work.
    Has 2 tanks and no running water.

The previous owner leased to a family friend who was feeding round bales at least once a week.

My question is what is the going rate to lease land for cattle?
    Is it determined per acre or per head?

Thank you in advance.

How many acres, what's the grass like, how much fence work is actually needed. Do the tanks hold water or do they go dry in the summer?

Comment

another consideration is the length of the lease. A short term is low value in most cases.

Comment

You can lease either way (per head or per acre).

Money isn't everything as far as cattle leasing. If you can, take you time. Find a good cattle guy that's willing to keep up fences well, not over graze etc. If he's a local with multiple leases near you then make sure he understands you plan to keep him on for years and years under the right conditions.

My guy helps me with all sorts of things. Paid 25% of the cost of a new solar well set-up. Helps me watch the place when I'm not around. And other small things like loaning tools. It can be a win win with the right person.

Comment

If he's having to feed round bales every week of the year. It would have to be free, or he has it way over stocked

Comment

We lease part of ours for $10 per head per month... That includes the guying leasing keeping up with the mowing, spraying, keeping up fences.

I also know a guy that leases his land for $20 per head per month but the landowner keeps up with the mowing, spraying, fence work etc

Comment

Originally posted by Tex21 View Post
              We lease part of ours for $10 per head per month... That includes the guying leasing keeping up with the mowing, spraying, keeping up fences.

I also know a guy that leases his land for $20 per head per month but the landowner keeps up with the mowing, spraying, fence work etc
              Wow. I don't know how a rancher could make much money at $20 per head per month.

Comment

Find some one to fix all the fences, maintain roads, shred weeds, and run only a few cows. Then take cows out during hunting season. Charge him for what the taxes are.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                  Wow. I don't know how a rancher could make much money at $20 per head per month.
                  No kidding. That's crazy.

Comment

based on your situation i would recommend just putting it in wildlife management if you can. we have 235 acres and dealing with the cows and fences and everything else that goes with it just wasn't worth it. we got the cattle off last year, transitioned to wildlife management to maintain our tax exemption and now have a guy bailing twice per year.
                    our pastures aren't overgrazed and we don't have the liability of cows getting out onto the street nor do we have to worry about who is on our property. if you have a current ag exemption then you can easily apply for wildlife management and it's very easy.

Comment

The tax exemption is worth it alone. Maybe he ain't making money, but he'll be saving it.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                        How many acres, what's the grass like, how much fence work is actually needed. Do the tanks hold water or do they go dry in the summer?
                        Roughly 250 acres
                        Grass is fair... but there is a lot of brush etc...
                        Tanks hold water all year

Comment

Send me a message. I live over in Comanche and looking for a place to keep some roping calves

Any working pens out there?

I would like to come look at it

Comment

could you get some bee hives?

Comment

Depending on the place. $15-$25 an acre per year.

Comment

Working...
                              X