Building up a 2018 F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
    I bought a 2020 XLT and added leather...amongst other stuff.

OP, I highly recommend adding the tailgate assist for $67 off of Amazon. Pull the handle, let the tailgate fall...and it falls slow and smooth. Everything is there, just need to add these parts...which is what the Lariats have.
    Originally posted by Mojo View Post
    I drive the same year model in white as well, but with the 5.0L and 5.5ft bed. Love it...I bought it new back then. One thing I added to my truck for 30$....a bed damper shock to drop that tailgate...it's easily worth 30$...amazon has them.

I have that part right here in my office, ready to install! Video to come.

Ford Tailgate Assist

I like that that Ford version is hidden and out of the way. Looking forward to adding that on.

Originally posted by TexasHunter.280 View Post
    Ain't nothing better than adding all the goodies to make a truck your own! Keep up the good work man!
    Thank you!

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
    Great thread. I have a '17... I got the headlight, fog light and reverse light bulbs you suggested. I also replaced the bed lights with LED:

FYI, there are two different bulbs for the reverse lights (I wasn't aware). Check your truck before you buy, or you'll be returning them (like me).

Did you do the headlights the "right" way, or did you go through the front of wheel wells?
    I found out the same thing about the reverse lights. Not sure about how to determine which goes with which model - Amazon seemed to think either would work on my truck.

My bed lights are already LED. Did yours come with something different, or no lights at all?

I'm not sure about a right or wrong way to install the headlights and fog lights, but I went through the wheel wells, and it worked just fine.

Comment

Nice truck. The long beds are hard to find!

Comment

Be careful with timing chain, mine and three of my colleagues h e been in shop just shy of 100k. Dealer told me he was seeing it in a few 3.5’s a week.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
          Be careful with timing chain, mine and three of my colleagues h e been in shop just shy of 100k. Dealer told me he was seeing it in a few 3.5’s a week.
          Do you have more info? My understanding is there were certain years more prone to issues than others. I bought this 2018 one because this year was supposed to have addressed some of the other issues.

One other point I kept coming across from dealers and mechanics is that Ford has sold so darn many of the 3.5 EB engines, the actual number of engines with problems are a very small percentage of overall volume, when compared to other engines. I'm hoping that's the case.

Comment

Do you like the husky liners ? I normally use weather tech but they don’t make them for my 2017 f250

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
                My bed lights are already LED. Did yours come with something different, or no lights at all?

I'm not sure about a right or wrong way to install the headlights and fog lights, but I went through the wheel wells, and it worked just fine.
                My bed lights were LED, but crappy. I was completely unclear above.

From my research, going through the wells (which I did last night) is a no-no. After talking this morning to a buddy that works at a Ford service center, that's what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                  Do you like the husky liners ? I normally use weather tech but they don’t make them for my 2017 f250
                  I'm liking them so far. I've been happy with WeatherTech as well in the past, but these were comparable, still made in the US, they were available, and were about half the cost, so I gave them a try.

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                  From my research, going through the wells (which I did last night) is a no-no. After talking this morning to a buddy that works at a Ford service center, that's what they do.
                  That's interesting. When I got the lights, I looked at it, didn't see an obvious solution to install them, so looked to the Google. The first thing I saw was instructions to go in from the wheel well. It made sense, so I didn't research how to do it any other way. I don't see why it would be considered a "bad" way of doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
                    I'm liking them so far. I've been happy with WeatherTech as well in the past, but these were comparable, still made in the US, they were available, and were about half the cost, so I gave them a try.

That's interesting. When I got the lights, I looked at it, didn't see an obvious solution to install them, so looked to the Google. The first thing I saw was instructions to go in from the wheel well. It made sense, so I didn't research how to do it any other way. I don't see why it would be considered a "bad" way of doing it.

I tried to order weathertech a few days ago . They don’t make them for my truck package for some reason . But husky does . Will probably order a set .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      I tried to order weathertech a few days ago . They don’t make them for my truck package for some reason . But husky does . Will probably order a set .

Based on personal experience with both, the Husky Xact fit liners are much better quality and fit than the Weathertech ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That’s a great looking truck

Comment

Lookin clean

Comment

An overdue update on the truck. Other than using it for its intended purposes, I haven't added much to it (I have a couple of items waiting to be installed). Yesterday, I added something completely cosmetic:

Before:

After:

I've always liked the look of the two-tone Fords, yet could not find one that checked all my boxes. After I bought this, I stopped by a local vehicle vinyl wrap shop to see what was possible. We looked through swatches and landed on this metallic grey option. I love the look!

No video for this one, since I didn't do it myself. Overall, I'm pleased with the final outcome. I'm a perfectionist, and vinyl is not as precise a craft as paint, so I have to overlook some little details.

Comment

Nice I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It's been a while. Mostly I've been enjoying the truck, though I did have some issues recently:

Cam phaser replacement

On a more fun note, I found a decent deal on Facebook for some Raptor wheels with low-mileage tires, so I made the proper modifications to get those to fit:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYhj2xsfewA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYhj2xsfewA[/ame]

A few updates on some of my earlier mods:

The Gator FX tonneau cover is holding up great! The newer F150s have quite the gap around the tailgate, so water does come in some, but it's not a huge deal.

The Herculiner bed liner is ok. Just ok. It's a softer compound than a professional spray-in liner, so the good news is things slide around less. It does tend to scratch easier though.

The Husky floormats are awesome.

I got a note from Amazon that the LED headlights I purchased have been recalled for being too bright. I was supposed to get some sort of notification from the manufacturer to replace them, but nothing so far. I still like the light output!

Thanks for following along. I've got a few items in my garage I need to install and I'll post that up when I get around to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X