Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gun/caliber for a <100yd varmint gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love my .17 hmr, and I’ve seen it on the shelves several times when nothing else is there for about $12-13 per 50.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
      I was in the 17hmr camp until I realized you must not have a 22lr.
      You’re right. I have a 22lr pistol, but not a rifle. I am kind of leaning that way.

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
      I vote for the 17HMR, perfect ticket for the job.

If noise is an issue and you're not suppressed, go with 22LR Subs but you're lobbing them out there at 100 yards. They are very quiet though.
      Not sure I’d run subs at 100. I think supers through a can would be quiet enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        Well yeah he is the law. That's how a lot of them are. I've heard of game wardens doing stuff they'd give people a ticket for a lot.

Just buy a few cats and they will get rid of the grackles. I used to feed my cats birds all the time. Good times.
        Some of the best GW's & other various LEO started off as outstanding hunting bandits / hooligans...trust me, I know.

We would get calls from farmers to help with depredation & shoot everything not protected attacking fields...sometimes we will just drive around farm land & snipe them with 22's for giggles. Not enough cats around to stop the Rats with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
          Grackles are NOT protected, just like sparrows, starlings, and pigeons

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
          I think you may have to get a depredation tag or something. I looked at the rules and it said you can shoot them if they're being a nuisance or destroying crops. Which leaves me with one question.....when are grackles not being a nuisance? It may not have said those exact words but the rule book says something to that effect. They're not protected but kind of? I really don't get it myself but that's the way I understand it.

Believe it or not I've actually seen a grackle kill a smaller bird by pecking it on the head with its sharp beak. Those suckers are not good birds.
          Last edited by okrattler; 02-21-2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            Some of the best GW's & other various LEO started off as outstanding hunting bandits / hooligans...trust me, I know.

We would get calls from farmers to help with depredation & shoot everything not protected attacking fields...sometimes we will just drive around farm land & snipe them with 22's for giggles. Not enough cats around to stop the Rats with wings.
            Sounds like a prairie dog shoot kinda. That's fun!

Comment

223 so when you want to shoot something bigger/farther you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                I like the ol' 22 mag
                X’s 2 !

Comment

.17 HMR or .22 mag. .17 is faster and flat. All good, depends on cost of ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
                    Ruger precision 22lr with a 6x42swfa!! I’m amazed what this little setup does. I shoot subsonics to 100.
                    Got one of these coming soon, found a case of 1600 federal 36 grain cphp I bought for 40 bucks or something a couple Black Fridays ago and forgot about, hope they shoot okay.

Comment

I have not seen a mention for the 17 hornet. So there ya go!

Comment

That sounds like the perfect job fo the 6.5 Creedmoor!!

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                          I have not seen a mention for the 17 hornet. So there ya go!
                          17hornet is sweet. But for grackles and such is the issue I hardly shoot rabbits just to save my rnds for bobcats tho.

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
                            You’re right. I have a 22lr pistol, but not a rifle. I am kind of leaning that way.

Not sure I’d run subs at 100. I think supers through a can would be quiet enough for me.
                            In my experience most quality accurate 22 ammo is subsonic. It’s definitely more consistent at least.

Comment

Accuracy of 2" or less @ 100 yards isn't nearly as easy with a 22lr as it is with a 17hmr or 17 WSM.

Comment

out of the box , hands down 17 hmr is the most accurate rim fire at 100 ... 22mag can get you there but more picky on ammo / rifle combo trial and error .. 17 shoot way slicker ballistic tip and it sounds really good with a can .. but due to tiny bore, you might need to clean it every 100 rds or so if your accuracy gets worse .. you can get there with 22lr but variance in distance will be a big factor on impact .. as it drops like a rock ... so look at for sure 3x group size over the 17. unless you shoot a vudoo, then i'm just not talking to you .. lol. after that, you got the hornet or the 204 .. all good calibers but overkill IMHO.

never played with the 17hm2 .. since hrm is all that + a bag of chips... i have a cheap savage that shoot center fire accurate at 100 ... that's what i'd recommend for all the reasons above .. good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X