More Barrel Tuner Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Barrel Tuner Fun

We’ve been playing with several different barrel tuners lately and have been seeing some very positive results. I’ve posted some stuff here about it in the past. Both the ATS and EC versions have been solid for us. Erik sent me a new tuner/brake combo to play with quite a while back, but honestly I just didn’t have time to do anything with it………until today.

I had a great opportunity to put a tuner to the real test, so this would be the EC Tuner Brake’s chance to shine. I have a new 6 Dasher with only 30 rounds down the barrel. I also have a match on Sunday and no time for load development, and no back up gun at the moment. A full work week ahead of me leaves zero time for break in and load development. Perfect! Ha Ha

My plan? Load up 100 rounds of a charge weight I guessed would be below the pressure threshold based on my past barrels and hope the tuner would do what it claims to do! Just to muddy the waters further I decided to jump the bullets .050” instead of the traditional range I know they prefer. Doing all of this on a fresh barrel that will gain speed rapidly, should just about stack the deck against the tuner as far as I’m willing to stack it. If this worked, it would be hard to deny the tuner’s effectiveness.

I’m going to say it worked pretty good. Those groups where it came in on settings 3-6 were about as big as the actual mirage shift I was seeing(except 5 was on me). This rifle has TONS more potential as the barrel breaks in and I actually do some real load development for it………..but it is awesome to be able to start right out of the gate with some useful accuracy without having to wait 200 rounds for the barrel to “settle in”. Given the wide tune “node”, I should be able to keep it reigned in as it speeds up anyway. These things are pretty cool

Super cool!

Comment

Now that's slicker'n snot on a brass door knob!!

Comment

I can’t stop watching his channel on YouTube. Seems like a good dude and a heck of a shooter.

What are you slinging out of that Dasher?
        I’m really intrigued by the 6mm’s.

Comment

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Ive never heard of a 6 Dasher.

Good luck at the match MrStick1.

Comment

Good stuff Robert!

Comment

So is this basically a copy of the Browning BOSS? I know on my .338 I can tune the barrel to whatever ammo I want to. Faster than load development lol.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                I can’t stop watching his channel on YouTube. Seems like a good dude and a heck of a shooter.
                what is the name of his channel?

Comment

Awesome, planning to install one on my cz 22lr very soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                    what is the name of his channel?
                    Erik Cortina Pro Shooter

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                      We’ve been playing with several different barrel tuners lately and have been seeing some very positive results. I’ve posted some stuff here about it in the past. Both the ATS and EC versions have been solid for us. Erik sent me a new tuner/brake combo to play with quite a while back, but honestly I just didn’t have time to do anything with it………until today.

I had a great opportunity to put a tuner to the real test, so this would be the EC Tuner Brake’s chance to shine. I have a new 6 Dasher with only 30 rounds down the barrel. I also have a match on Sunday and no time for load development, and no back up gun at the moment. A full work week ahead of me leaves zero time for break in and load development. Perfect! Ha Ha

My plan? Load up 100 rounds of a charge weight I guessed would be below the pressure threshold based on my past barrels and hope the tuner would do what it claims to do! Just to muddy the waters further I decided to jump the bullets .050” instead of the traditional range I know they prefer. Doing all of this on a fresh barrel that will gain speed rapidly, should just about stack the deck against the tuner as far as I’m willing to stack it. If this worked, it would be hard to deny the tuner’s effectiveness.

I’m going to say it worked pretty good. Those groups where it came in on settings 3-6 were about as big as the actual mirage shift I was seeing(except 5 was on me). This rifle has TONS more potential as the barrel breaks in and I actually do some real load development for it………..but it is awesome to be able to start right out of the gate with some useful accuracy without having to wait 200 rounds for the barrel to “settle in”. Given the wide tune “node”, I should be able to keep it reigned in as it speeds up anyway. These things are pretty cool
                      Can it be cerakoted to match the barrel of its host?

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post

What are you slinging out of that Dasher?
                        I’m really intrigued by the 6mm’s.
                        Running the 105 Berger Hybrid in this load.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                          Can it be cerakoted to match the barrel of its host?

I'm sure that it could.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                            Erik Cortina Pro Shooter

I enjoy his YouTube channel but he seems to be transitioning to Patreon on a pay to view basis.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              I enjoy his YouTube channel but he seems to be transitioning to Patreon on a pay to view basis.
                              Makes sense since gun content is demonetized or removed all together.

Time + the equipment to make quality videos isn't cheap

Comment

Working...
                              X