Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait.

Comment

Hope everything went well. Kind of curious.

Comment

Job well done. A video of the launch would be cool. Good luck with the maiden voyage.

Comment

There should be splash pics here by now....

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            my thoughts as well

Comment

Hopefully he is to busy catching a mess of fish.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably still picking the bugs from his teeth from running around the flats grinning ear to ear. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

I told him to put the plug in. Sure hope he's just out having fun. I know the last thing on my mind after, completing an accomplishment such as that, would be updating a bunch of internet yahoo's like us.

Comment

Well, I have both good and bad news. The launch went great and Skipjack out performed my expectations. The original design said she should draft between 4-5” fully loaded but she did not. She actually drafts 2 1/2” fully loaded! I am able to move about without feeling tippy and casting from the bow deck is a dream. I realized 21 mph with a four blade prop before the outboard started acting up.

I launched solo at 0600 and had her back on the trailer by 0630. She would only go half throttle all of a sudden and after getting back to the dock, she would not start to load. That ended up being an o-ring that popped off that held the throttle linkage in place. Fortunately my neighbor has a giant assortment of little parts like that and I was back out on the water at 0930.

I pushed her hard to see what she was capable of going way back into the marsh where I found several tailing reds over oyster reefs just 6” below the surface. After going super skinny I wanted to see how she would take high speed turns so I opened her up and cut it all the way. She did not dig in as much as I hoped but she didn’t lean to the side either. I would say she drifted when I didn’t lean into the steer.

After playing around for a bit I ran her five miles to a shallow cove for pictures and video. Oh, did I mention not one chase boat showed up? Anyway, I got a couple good pictures and a little video before having to haul back to the ramp because a storm popped up out of nowhere. About 700 yards from the ramp a cool blast of air hit me dropping the temperature to 74. Pulling up to the dock there were no less than a dozen boats all scrambling to load before the rains hit. Fortunately I was able to get her loaded and on the road in time though everything including myself was covered in sand from all the wind.

Now back in the driveway I started cleaning her up. First I filled the barrel to run and flush her, reach over to start and she just spins, never firing off. It was then and there I decided to cut my losses and order a new Tohatsu 20 with electric start, tilt and trim. Skipjack turned out to be way too good of a boat to keep having to mess with the outboard!

I took minimal video posting some on Instagram and I will be producing a full build video this coming week. Overall I could not be more impressed with the design and performance! If able to go back there is not one thing I would have done differently other than purchasing a new outboard! Thank you for following along with me and I look forward to the next build being planned right now.

Michael

Comment

DIY flats skiff

Dang good looking boat Michael! Incredible craftsmanship.! Still can’t believe that is homemade.

Gonna be nice with that new motor and warranty too for peace of mind.

Comment

I think the new motor is a good choice. May not be budget friendly but after all your work, she (and you)deserve it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice write up & Congrats on a great build!

Comment

How awesome and rewarding! Thanks for letting us follow along...I really enjoyed it!

Comment

Great write up bud. Bet that initial run was heart pumping. Great picture too

Comment

She wet! Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X