No announcement yet.

UGGGG Divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play for keeps. Document everything. Contemporaneous notes go a long way with the court.

Comment

sorry to hear this. I am a one more last chance guy but if you are the limit there is only one thing to do.

Comment

You're going to want a lawyer so you can get full custody. Most Texas judges aren't going to grant you full custody unless you have some proof she has mental/substance issues.

Comment

Get a lawyer. Been down your exact rd 2X. It sucks but you will come out the other side ok.
          Get a good lawyer too. Not just the cheapest.

Comment

Been through a couple.....get a lawyer even if uncontested. Best of luck to you, going to suck for a while, but not forever.

Comment

Lawyer up, you're in Texas and typically women have more rights than men in divorce situations. Doesnt matter who did what, thats for a judge to decide.

Things will get ugly and you better protect your as$ and property because men usually get the crap end of this deal and while it's sometimes civil that is not always the case. Ex wifes/ex husbands certainly turn in to people that you didnt know once you owe child support or have possessions taken away. It is now a "business deal" and all things that are mutually agreed on dont mean sh*t.

Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
              Been there done that.

Hire a lawyer before she does. She is going to have everyone on her side telling her to get a lawyer. Once she does that, she will file for custody, child support, alimony, etc...
              And you will have to fight to get everything back. Whoever files first wins.
              100% true.
              Last edited by piercebronkite; 11-28-2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Good luck and Prayers. The kid is the most important part and I would recommend counseling for him.

Comment

Originally posted by TxxAgg View Post
                  Yall have a kid together and she has mental issues. Get a lawyer!!
                  yep

While I dont have first hand knowledge Ive listened and watched plenty of dads yell at their ex from the street. Id also start rat holing some cash

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    Get a lawyer!!!!
                    Right now

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Oooof to the ten years. 9 would have been better. 10 opens you up to spousal maintenance. "Cooling off period" is 90 days I believe. This means the decree cannot be signed by the judge until after 90 days from filing. All toys/property acquired during the marriage (with few exceptions) is community property. Man, with what you stated I would go the pro bono route and give it a shot if you truly think it can be amicable. You can retain counsel if things don't work out quickly. Just don't do anything stupid during that period.

Comment

Definitely lawyer up. Seems like I remember somewhere the court/judge usually appoints a lawyer to look out for the dependent child(ren) best interest (from their viewpoint). But I am not sure.

I know when I adopted my oldest daughter (uncontested) many years ago the court appointed her an independent lawyer that we paid for and they said it was for her interest.
                        Prayers up for you and your Family!

Comment

Doing it yourself is call filing Pro-Se and I cannot remember if you can do it if there is a minor child involved.

We agreed on everything right down to the dog and saved thousands and thousands of dollars in legal fees.

Also, that was on the advice of my attorney who knew us and knew we could be civil.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            yep

While I dont have first hand knowledge Ive listened and watched plenty of dads yell at their ex from the street. Id also start rat holing some cash
                            And slowly moving valuable belongings of yours to an undisclosed location (friend/family members) unless you want to end up paying for it all for a 2nd time.... if you leave early for work, before the rest of the house is awake, that's a great time for a safe to start slowly emptying itself.

Comment

Get a lawyer for your kids sake
                              Last edited by Mission408; 11-28-2022, 07:13 PM.

Comment

From my experience use a lawyer but the lawyer can do everything. YOU need to get the lawyer and YOU need to file though as others have stated.

If everything stays the course (y'all agree on everything), YOUR lawyer can handle everything for the both of you. Keep in mind a lawyer can only have 1 client. I found this out real quick when we initially decided to try to do it as you are and the lawyer (HER lawyer) wouldn't return any communication with me and my ex started writing EVERYTHING down that was discussed for HER lawyer. Again I figured it out real quick but there was some damage done thinking we could agree. I have good friends who did it the way your are hoping to and it worked out though. They even used my decree as the template since I was only a couple of months ahead of them. It can be done.

With that said, in a matter of weeks we went from "agreeing on everything" to the biggest dog fight I've ever been in. Everything from custody to every penny to every spatula was contested once she had people get in her ear and telling her how much she "deserved" and was "entitled to". IF it goes south which it likely will, then you will already have the lawyer and she will have to find her own. As others have said, start setting money aside and getting your stuff out. Separate accounts, credit cards, etc. NOW!! The quicker you can separate finances the less you will have to make equal.

When I got divorced I moved out after the lawyers were involved to make sure there was no chance anyone could say I abandoned my family. Nobody told me I couldn't come back in to MY house once I did. It took litigation for me to get back in to get guns I needed for weekend hunts, etc. My wife changed the locks right after I moved out and there was nothing I could do on A LOT of the stuff I left behind. I ended up losing most material things because I couldn't get back to them. So get it out NOW if you have ANY interest in keeping it or using it during the process.

One other thing to consider. If there is any chance it goes south talk to several lawyers even if you already know who you want to use. I'm not 100% sure on this but I was told even an initial consultation with you would prevent that lawyer from representing her. I did talk to a couple of the big sharks in Austin to make sure she couldn't use them. Again, I'm not sure how accurate that was but it is worth doing in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X