No announcement yet.

big tiger galveston co

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What tournament was that? They use to have the Big, Bad, & Ugly tournament in Matagorda years ago that was always a big draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
      Am I the only one that thinks that’s a mighty small boat to be taking 40 miles offshore
      Yea, I caught that also. We used to take a 21 ft. or so Wellcraft out about every weekend, during the summer. I think our fuel tank was 26 gallons. I can tell you we would fill up in Port A, I think Dolphin Docks or Woody's, then head out. We would only go out about 15 miles, I think. We had no GPS or any other navigational system, so I was guessing how far out we used to go. We would go out to some of the rigs and fish around them. We found one rig, that we went to multiple times, we always hooked into something big around that rig. So we made it a point to go straight to that rig, after a few trips out. But before that we would go out find offshore shrimp boats and fish around them, then off to find some rigs. I know every time we went out, we were on fumes when we got back to the end of the jetties.

To make it out 40 miles, they must have had a larger fuel tank installed or added a second tank. I know we might have made it out 40 miles, but we would have been out of fuel, by the time we got there, if we made it.

That same boat, we could go out and run all over Redfish Bay, Nueces Bay and Copano Bay, all week and still have plenty of fuel at the end of the week. We would rack up a lot more miles in the bays, that we did on one trip off shore. That boat burnt a ton more fuel every time we went offshore.

We did not have a whole lot of problem with the size of the ways, other than the fact, I had to give it a lot more throttle to get up the bigger waves, that we would encounter in a storm. It was not uncommon to encounter a storm in the middle of a nice sunny day. There were multiple times, we encountered waves that from crest to trough, were around 25 ft. high. Those waves were big, from crest to crest would be around to 100 yards. Going up those things was like climbing hills. Once you got near the top of the waves, you had to back out of the throttle, so you did not get airborne. Did that once, it was bad. We were heading out the waves going in, so the water just drops out from under you. You go from a couple feet from the bottom of the boat to more like 8 ft. to 10 ft., quickly. You don't ever want to do that, trust me, it hurts, when you land.

Even without a storm blowing through, it took a lot more fuel to get around out in the gulf compared to the bays.

We ran into storms going out a few times, that we could see would pass within a hour, so we would head out anyway. Then we got caught in some bad storms while out there fishing a couple times, those were not fun. When the waves come over the back of the boat, it will start filling the boat up quickly. There was one time, I thought the boat was going down, we had a lot of water in the boat quickly. We got it started and took off, took a while to get up on plane. We had the bilge pumps going for most of the trip back in.

If there was no storm, the trip out and back was not a big deal, other than the possibility of running out of fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
        Am I the only one that thinks that’s a mighty small boat to be taking 40 miles offshore

I do quite a bit off offshore fishing.....at a desperate time between one offshore boat being sold, and a newer one being built, myself and 2 buddies had the itch to go troll for wahoo at the flower gardens but the only vessel we had was a 21 ft center console with a single 150 hp yamaha we named "the dingy" ....We fueled the boat all the way up and took 55 gallons of extra fuel in gas cans in the front of the boat and headed out on our journey 100 miles offshore out of freeport late the night before. We arrived at the spot at about 430 am in time for a quick nap before sun up....we trolled the following day and caught several nice fish and made it back home by dark.....NEVER....EVER....EVER will I attempt a doofus move like that again.....my back still hurts thinking about that small vessel tackling those seas the entire ride in....taking a small boat far out to sea can be done, in the prefect conditions, but things can change out there in minutes. Mother nature has never been known to be very forgiving
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
          I do quite a bit off offshore fishing.....at a desperate time between one offshore boat being sold, and a newer one being built, myself and 2 buddies had the itch to go troll for wahoo at the flower gardens but the only vessel we had was a 21 ft center console with a single 150 hp yamaha we named "the dingy" ....We fueled the boat all the way up and took 55 gallons of extra fuel in gas cans in the front of the boat and headed out on our journey 100 miles offshore out of freeport late the night before. We arrived at the spot at about 430 am in time for a quick nap before sun up....we trolled the following day and caught several nice fish and made it back home by dark.....NEVER....EVER....EVER will I attempt a doofus move like that again.....my back still hurts thinking about that small vessel tackling those seas the entire ride in....taking a small boat far out to sea can be done, in the prefect conditions, but things can change out there in minutes. Mother nature has never been known to be very forgiving

A friend and I used to go 40-50 miles offshore in his 23ft Sea Fox with a single 150. Some nerve racking times dealing with swells and chop. We just didn’t know any better. I am so thankful for the time his boat wouldn’t start at the ramp. I had my young son with me, and it freaks me out to this day to think what might have happened if we got offshore and the boat wouldn’t make it back in. He did get stranded once but was able to radio to USCG and get towed in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I still want to know how did they get that shark into the boat. And then you know that boat didn't ride well at all on the way back in with that much added weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
              I still want to know how did they get that shark into the boat. And then you know that boat didn't ride well at all on the way back in with that much added weight.
              I'm wondering the same...I don't know how 3 guys pull 1000 lb over the gunnels of a v-hull boat....and they had the equipment on board preparred to catch and land something that size?...im thinking they had to have caught it and radio in for someone to come get it so they could head in

Comment

thinking they tow it back to shore crane put it in the boat for pictures?

Comment

They used a come along to get it in the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                    Another reason I don't swim in the ocean.
                    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                      Another reason I don't swim in the ocean.
                      Good thing it’s the gulf

Comment

I've taken my 23ft Ranger offshore with no problem. 75 gallon tank

Comment

The first time I ever went off shore not on a party boat was in a 24' robollo and a single 200 merc. 4 of us left and went 40 miles out of sargent with tackle and a compass. We didnt even own a gps

Comment

Shark fishing buddy said he would drag them to a rig and ask the crane operator to pick it and set in his boat.

Comment

Working...
                            X