Remington 870 Sticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remington 870 Sticking

I’m graduating to a Benelli SBE 12ga for dove hunting but I love my old Remington 870 and want my son to use it but a problem has surfaced during the last dove hunt. I’ve had a couple of shells get stuck in the chamber after firing and if that doesn’t happen then the fore-end will stick after firing and will not rack back to eject the spent shell. Anyone got any clues how to resolve this? I would like to get it ‘purring’ again in time for the next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low brass shells will cause his or it just may need a good cleaning.

Comment

A little sandpaper. Lots of videos on you tube. Should be an easy fix for your 870👍

Comment

Was going to say a good cleaning too. They’re east to take apart, there’s a ton of good videos online. Look over each part as you break it down, you’ll notice if something is glaring.
        Won’t take 15 minutes with a rag and an old toothbrush. Hope you getting it running smooth, hard to beat a good 870 ��

Comment

I've had that happen. I just cleaned it good and it quit doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
            I've had that happen. I just cleaned it good and it quit doing it.
            same

Comment

Remington 870 Sticking

I keep it pretty clean…after each hunt I break it down, clean, and then lube it all. BUT I did find some videos online about using steel wool, valve grinding compound, etc. to clean/hone the chamber so I’m going to give the chamber a quick inspection and cleaning as soon as I get home from work. Thanks everyone for the nuggets of wisdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Clean it good and make sure the cap that hold the spring and plug in is screwed down all the way.

Comment

Wrap a 12ga brush in fine steel wool and coat with oil. Put it in a drill and work it back and forth in the chamber. Cleans out any rust and smooths the chamber. Could also be the shells. My wingmaster will hang up sometimes with the cheap low brass promo loads.

Comment

I had a 870 20 gauge that did this, ended up polishing the chamber with a dremel. There are some YouTube videos on this.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg13 View Post
                      Wrap a 12ga brush in fine steel wool and coat with oil. Put it in a drill and work it back and forth in the chamber. Cleans out any rust and smooths the chamber. Could also be the shells. My wingmaster will hang up sometimes with the cheap low brass promo loads.
                      X2 - This is exactly what I did with my 870 that was doing the same thing and it worked perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by stickfigure View Post
                        X2 - This is exactly what I did with my 870 that was doing the same thing and it worked perfectly.
                        What I have found is that the plastic is building up in the chamber. There are some solvents out there that are better at removing plastic fouling than others.

Comment

If it’s clean no need to go after it with abrasives. My Dad’s did the same thing. Some of the cheaper shells use metal in the base that expands during firing but doesn’t contract back down properly and they stick in the chamber. Switch ammo to something with higher brass content in the base.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg13 View Post
                            This is what I do. Seems to do the trick

Comment

I never had a hiccup with mine and only oil it. Never really cleaned it. It’s like 20 years old.

Comment

Working...
                              X