No announcement yet.

Tunnel V swapping ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want one that handles like it's on rails go with a JH OUTLAW 23 or 25 not the fastest hull on the water, but it handles like a vette & will not slide out from under you..... if not in your budget there are plenty of good used GULF COAST out there.... 23 VS would be my choice

Comment

I have seen videos of tests on these boats where you can see what happens. I think it was on a news4 San Antonio website. They actually remotely controlled the boats into a spin. FYI in case anyone wants to see them.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/tro...Z1hndUlYMzNBWg..
      Last edited by CLR; 05-25-2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
        I can tell you that at 65 mph, you don’t wanna know what swapping ends feels like.
        I'd imagine it's followed closely by swapping drawers.

Comment

Originally posted by CLR View Post
          I have seen videos of tests on these boats where you can see what happens. I think it was on a news4 San Antonio website. They actually remotely controlled the boats into a spin. FYI in case anyone wants to see them.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/tro...Z1hndUlYMzNBWg..
          Sad deal. That’s the reason I passed on a tunnel V when I was boat shopping several years ago. The thought of that happening with my daughter and wife on board was enough to get me to pass.

Comment

Like hitting turns, wet pavement, with a sports car.

If you slow down above, why don't you slow down, during transition through turns, with an air pocket stern for traction?

3/4 up to WOT - lotta hot hands on the water today. Speeds over 50 mph - well good if you can do it but, why turn at that speed?

My sports car can hit 150 but, I will never do it.

These boats were designed to bust thru heavy chop in shallow arse water - not turn even half throttle, if the boat runs 50 or 65 mph top end, it needs to turn below 20 mph IMO and or even less like 15 mph

Make the turns slow and controlled, then get back on it

Work the throttle like a brake as your turn - cuz you have zero brakes anyway

Easy Peasy
            Last edited by AtTheWall; 05-25-2021, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I had a 19ft with a 175hp and it never swapped ends on me. Just keep your Jack plate down and be cautious in turns. Just don’t drive crazy and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Back in my days surfing, 5'6" and 5'8" boards, I stomped on the tail, when I made my turns at speed. Even then, the fins would break out, board would slide and I would have to flatten out straight, then hit the turn again....sometimes doing this 3 times to carve thru without spinning out - waves double overhead kind of speeds and conditions

That surfboard, ran about 20 - 30 mph on big waves, and if I left her trimmed with weight forward - as you should do - trim bow down running skinny water.....making a turn, from this bow down press, with power on the motor in skinny water = ADIOS AND WELCOME SPIN

To turn fast on a short surfboard, you stand on its tail, to control stalls and spins

200-300 hp engines = 300 to 500 lbs or even more aft? And that entire weight is on the stern, and it's way up out of the water = top heavy as hell, and air bubbles below with zero bite.....then the G's hit in the turn.

Skinny water boat = no ballast below.

Comment

I looked at a clean tunnel v explorer at one time. My brother talked me out of it because they are known to swap ends.

I ended up with a cat hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                    I can tell you that at 65 mph, you don’t wanna know what swapping ends feels like.
                    That was quite the story....you shouldn't be here but by the grace of God!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                      There were a couple different boats that were cut down to make tunnel Vs. The Explorers and 19' and 17' Shoalwater were based on a cut down Mako. The 22' Shoalwater was a different hull. I always felt like it was probably based off an Aquasport flatback.
                      Yes the 22 Legend (Shoalwater) was a better design. At one time knew the person that sold the 19' Mako to Gary French who splashed, modified, and built the Explorers. It was around '94 I would guess. As said, they had their place at the time but designs have improved. Good times back then for sure.

I will say “Kali's Law" that went into effect Sept 2019 was named after a Comal Co. teen who died as a result of falling out of a 17' Tunnel V close to Conn Brown Harbor back in 2012.
                      Last edited by Notaguide; 05-25-2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                        Yes the 22 Legend (Shoalwater) was a better design. At one time knew the person that sold the 19' Mako to Gary French who splashed, modified, and built the Explorers. It was around '94 I would guess. As said, they had their place at the time but designs have improved. Good times back then for sure.

I will say “Kali's Law" that went into effect Sept 2019 was named after a Comal Co. teen who died as a result of falling out of a 17' Tunnel V close to Conn Brown Harbor back in 2012.
                        Explain Kali's law. ....the operator and some boaters must be attached to the kill switch....?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of poor Hull designs on the market, see junk on the bay every day

Comment

I've had several tunnel vs and it is a concern.

It has less to do with the height the motor is raised on the jackplate as it does how high you have the bow trimmed going into a hard turn. You will slide through the turn until the bow falls enough for the V to catch and around she goes. Having the jackplate raised up compounds the situation. The key to avoiding it is to slow down a little, trim down to get the hull down into contact with the water before you start your turn and try not to turn really sharp.

I fished off tunnel Vs for many years, caught gobs and gobs of fish out of them. Enjoyed them. They allowed me a semi decent ride and I could still fish back lake stuff. BUT, they really suck overall compared to what we have today. They are slow and inefficient. Most of them run funky and you have to put trim tabs, transom wedges, etc on them to get them to run right. In their day they were great but honestly anything my Shoalwater Tunnel Vs would do the current cat boats will do just as well. The cats ride as well and draft the same or less and give you a ton more fishing space. For me, a tunnel V wouldn't even be an option anymore. I'd really tell you to look at the design as a whole and think through what you want. If you want to have to run a motor hard all the time to get very moderate speeds and then have to be careful making turns to keep from having an issue AND you'd like a hull that porpoises easily and is very trim sensitive AND you want a boat that fishes small for it's size... the tunnel V may be the boat for you.

x2 this exactly
                            I'm getting the tunnel on my custom aluminum welded up for this reason.
                            it just doesn't handle tite turns on the river at all. i have to keep the nose up to high .then i cant see where I'm going

Comment

tunnel V is a **** design. the problem with the Tunnel V's isn't a planned turn that you can evaluate your jackplate height, speed, water conditions, etc.. it's when you have an unplanned event, like a wake, or need to dodge an semi submerged water hazard.

the boats are just unstable when traveling across wakes as well, which is extremely common on any bay system. not being able to track in a straight line, even when you're only going 35-40 MPH can push you into a bad situation before you know it.

get a boat that has a more forgiving hull. The sales pitch of a tunnel V being "smooth and shallow" is also a farce. there's no one hull that does it all. you're either going to go shallow, or go smooth.
                              Last edited by kyle1974; 05-26-2021, 07:15 AM.

Comment

The good thing about them is most of those tunnel Vs will only ever hit 65 when on a trailer. You'll do real good to get one to break 40 mph. Many top out mid 30's.
                                LOL, I had to unquote my post, because I was going to write exactly what you just said Glenn.

Comment

Working...
                                X