No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of wells do you get in your country?
    Ours (4”) are sometimes only single digit gallons/minute.

A large fishing lake that stays full will be a huge improvement and source of year around fun for your family. “Trophy” bass or not Great idea.

FWIW I laid a black poly line to our 4 troughs and my house.
    It didnÂ’t take much clearing ( trencher width) but I like your idea of Turner mix replanting. CD

Comment

Originally posted by Droptine3030 View Post
      I am assuming y’all have great groundwater there? Would it be a option for y’all to use the river and run poly pipe on top of the ground ? That’s what we did and it worked for us. Looks like ur bigger pond is roughly 8 tenths of a mile to the river. 2” black used poly was what we used. Just a thought.
      We thought about doing this. The issue is that the river will run dry in severe droughts so we will be in the same position. We would rather not take from the river if we don’t have to.

Comment

Well I didn’t realize the river goes dry, we are near the head of the river so that has never occurred to me. I was hoping after the 2011 drought I wouldn’t never see a year as bad but lucky us this was just as bad if not worse. So thankful for what we have gotten the last few weeks. Hopefully y’all got some good rains after this last event, we got 2”. Thank the lord. Anyway like following your thread. Good luck on hitting good well water.

Comment

We ended up getting right at 4in of rain this week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pictures of WATER

The 4-inches of rain this week were a godsend and have allowed our ponds to fill up. Our small pond, the one we dug out and made larger two years ago, is finally full for the first time after we dug it out.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Pond (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	24700017

The big pond is up around 10ft:

Name:	Big Pond (Large).jpg
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	24700018

The river rose around 2ft:

Name:	River (Large).jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	24700019

The springs are overflowing down to the river:

Name:	Springs to River (Large).jpg
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	24700020

I was kicking myself for not broadcasting more winter wheat, especially after all of this rain, but I think most would have washed away in all of this rain. We're hoping a lot of cool season forbs will start growing.

Comment

More Pictures...

Here is a picture of the first deer my 9yr old son shot last week.

Name:	Mason's First Deer (2) (Large).jpg
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	24700231
              He dropped her in her tracks.

Here's a better picture of the wide 8pt

Name:	Mason's Buck 2 (Large).jpg
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	24700232

The boys even made it in the Brady newspaper last week, which was icing on the cake.

Name:	Mason & Gage's Bucks.jpg
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	24700233

Comment

Good stuff right there. Congrats!!

I'm hoping for the day we take bucks like that whether they are considered a trophy or not. I know y'all have put a lot of hard work and dineros into it.

Comment

Awesome..

Comment

That is great!

Comment

One of my buddy’s was finally able to see Big Brows in person and he is bigger than I thought. His mass is crazy! We are still giving him another year to see what he does next year.

We were able to shoot 3 deer this past weekend - 2 doe and a 4yr old 8pt. I’ll post some pictures up later this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                        Good stuff right there. Congrats!!

I'm hoping for the day we take bucks like that whether they are considered a trophy or not. I know y'all have put a lot of hard work and dineros into it.

Thanks for the kind words! I think the biggest reasons we are harvesting and seeing these big bucks is because we are high fenced and allowing these bucks to get older. Before, these bucks would have jumped the fence and the neighbors would have shot them when they were 3 or 4yrs old. It’s amazing to see what these deer can do with some age and nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post

One of my buddy’s was finally able to see Big Brows in person and he is bigger than I thought. His mass is crazy! We are still giving him another year to see what he does next year.

We were able to shoot 3 deer this past weekend - 2 doe and a 4yr old 8pt. I’ll post some pictures up later this afternoon.

What a stud!!!! Dang..

Comment

Yup, that’s a big SOB

Comment

Update - 12/5/2022

Here are some pictures from this past weekend.

Name:	2 (Large).jpg
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	24700505
                              I was finally able to broadcast some wheat, silver river clover, yellow sweet clover, and chicory. I know we are about 45 to 60 days late but we finally have some moisture in the dirt and I needed to use the seed. I broadcasted the wheat on top, lightly disked it in, cultipacked, broadcasted the clovers/chicory, and then cultipacked once more. I'm hoping we see some growth in 3 to 4 weeks.

Name:	5 (Large).jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	24700506
                              I found Big Brows' sheds from last season. We have his set from 2020 and now 2021. Hoping to get the 2022 set once he drops them early next year.

Name:	Buck (Large).jpg
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	24700507
                              This is a 4yr old 8pt that one of my buddy's shot this past weekend.

Name:	Creek (1) (Large).jpg
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	24700508

Name:	Creek (2) (Large).jpg
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	24700509
                              All of our wet weather creeks still have water.

Name:	Young Bucks (Large).jpg
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	24700510
                              A couple of nice 3yr olds.

Name:	Snare (Large).jpg
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	24700511
                              We found a new dig and installed another snare.

Name:	Forbs (Large).jpg
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	24700512
                              We are seeing lots of cool season forbs since we got all of that rain last week.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words! I think the biggest reasons we are harvesting and seeing these big bucks is because we are high fenced and allowing these bucks to get older. Before, these bucks would have jumped the fence and the neighbors would have shot them when they were 3 or 4yrs old. It’s amazing to see what these deer can do with some age and nutrition.

Agree completely. We still don't have a good feel for our neighbors but if we ever get the funds I would still like to fence our place in. I think you mentioned it early in this thread but it isn't just having those bucks survive. If you need to shoot 10 does, it doesn't do much good to shoot 10 does and have 8 move in from the neighbors because you have food. All of it plays together, even if they are letting bucks walk.

Comment

Working...
                                X