Beginner/Starter Camera Rec's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner/Starter Camera Rec's

Looking for recommendations on a starter camera for my wife.
    She nor I have any experience with photography really, but she loves to take pics, so figured I would get her something that takes better quality pics than our cell phones.
    Ideally I am looking for something small, user friendly, that can both save to an SD card and upload to Icloud from the camera, and most importantly takes good quality pictures in everyday situations from nature to indoor gatherings.
    So far I have been looking at the Canon OES Rebel T7, Olympus M10 Mark IV & the Nikon D3500.
    Are there any others I should be considering, or can anyone else give a solid rec? Thanks

Great Question! A lot will depend on your budget; however , you can purchase great used merchandise from keh.com bandhphoto.com and adorama.com. Each one of theses place will usually warranty their used gear 3 to 6 months with the option to purchase extended warranties. DSLR's like Canon Rebel or Nikon 3500 will be a little bulkier than the new mirrorless cameras currently being released. That being said, another factor that may determine what you get is what are you going to be shooting? Portraits, Landscapes, Wildlife , Sports etc.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback jbr, I am going to check out the mentioned websites and see what they have.
      I have heard that the DLSR cameras are a little bulkier than mirrorless, but the image quality is better with DLSR, is that more or less truth? She takes pics everywhere, from family/friend gatherings to when we are out fishing etc., so looking for something that will give a decent image in all situations.

Comment

Now days the mirrorless technology has fought up. However you need larger lens to gather light. So any of the models with detachable lens give you potential to take better photos
        Last edited by scott123456789; 10-04-2022, 07:49 AM.

Comment

The Polaroid Sun660 Autofocus Instant Camera is a game-changing piece of photographic equipment, featuring advanced sonar technology that delivers exceptional results. This camera was Polaroid's first to combine 600 type film with the innovative Sonar Autofocus system, which uses ultrasonic sound waves to adjust focus automatically.

Best bang for the buck

Comment

Consider a book covering composition, exposure and lighting to go with your new camera. It can help you get the most out of your new cameras features and capabilities.

There's a lot to learn but the thing that improved my photos more than anything else was learning and using the Rule of Thirds

Enjoy your new camera!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsbound View Post
              Thanks for the feedback jbr, I am going to check out the mentioned websites and see what they have.
              I have heard that the DLSR cameras are a little bulkier than mirrorless, but the image quality is better with DLSR, is that more or less truth? She takes pics everywhere, from family/friend gatherings to when we are out fishing etc., so looking for something that will give a decent image in all situations.
              Mirrorless is the new technology, I wouldn't say that the image quality is better or worse, it all depends on the camera, lens and photographer. Please feel free to message me if you have more questions. There are lots of photographers on this forum that have great information as well. I feel as if most of the really good photographers that post photos in this forum and do photography as a hobby have probably moved over to mirrorless.

Comment

As mentioned before, your budget is likely the first consideration. The type of camera you choose would depend on how far you delve into learning to use the various functions. If she is going to shoot on automatic all the time, save your money and buy a good bridge/point-and-shoot camera. It will do everything you want. If she plans to learn how to really use one, buy what your budget can afford. Lots of good brands out there. I like mine, others like theirs. I would go mirrorless over DSLR. DSLRs will be phased out. Good luck with what you decide to do.

Besides the used sources already mentioned, MPB is also a good source.
                Last edited by Bill M; 10-04-2022, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies, I am looking at the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV (Black) w/ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ Lens on EBay, but I think a good bridge/point and shoot camera like Bill mentioned might be the a better fit for now.
                  Mostly because she doesn't like carrying things with her, even a purse, so carrying around a larger camera and multiple lenses is not something she will want to do.
                  She is also tech challenged, so something simple to operate that isn't overhelming at first might be a better fit.

That said, can anyone recommend a good bridge point and shoot camera in the 8-1000 range?
                  Last edited by woodsbound; 10-04-2022, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I’d let my Canon T7I with three lens go for $800. It would do everything you’d like but a bit more to tote around.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies, I am looking at the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV (Black) w/ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ Lens on EBay, but I think a good bridge/point and shoot camera like Bill mentioned might be the a better fit for now.
                      Mostly because she doesn't like carrying things with her, even a purse, so carrying around a larger camera and multiple lenses is not something she will want to do.
                      She is also tech challenged, so something simple to operate that isn't overhelming at first might be a better fit.

That said, can anyone recommend a good bridge point and shoot camera in the 8-1000 range?
                      This is a very good one with zoom out to 600mm. I used to own one. Problem is the price is more than you want to spend. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...v_digital.html

I know Nikon makes the P series and Canon has the SX. I'm sure Fuji and Lumix have some very nice offerings also.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                        I’d let my Canon T7I with three lens go for $800. It would do everything you’d like but a bit more to tote around.
                        Pm sent

Comment

Can anyone compare the Canon Powershot SX to the G series?
                          I was looking at the Canon Powershot G1X Mark 3, what would a comparable model be in the SX series or Nikon P series?

Comment

Don't scrimp on the glass

Comment

Can anyone compare the Canon Powershot SX to the G series?
                              I was looking at the Canon Powershot G1X Mark 3, what would a comparable model be in the SX series or Nikon P series?

The G1X is a step up from the SX in megapixel output and a few features it appears. I had bought my wife an SX60 and it was a good little camera. I chose Canon over Nikon because the Canon has the ability to shoot in RAW which is a big deal to me. I don't know if the latest P cameras have been updated to do that or not. The G1X looks like a very nice camera. 24-72mm range (35mm equivalent).

Comment

Working...
                              X