No announcement yet.

Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See how the belly on the left cat is nice and white with good spots. The other 2 have a tan colored part to the belly with good spots but the tan color is not preferred. That is the cast color, the tan on the belly.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
      Guess all my trapping is not having much of an impact

[ATTACH]1118783[/ATTACH]

Only good news is 1 in 8 has their paw caught in a trap in this pic and she will not be having a litter this spring

I thought I was making some progress, had not seen more than one in a pic in a while.
      Wow...... you have some work to do.....

Comment

pretty cats

Comment

Are there any techniques to exclude bobcats when primarily trapping coyotes? I have read up on the subject quite a bit but haven't found much in terms of real actionable data. Picking a location where bobcats would not normally go (more in the open vs in the thick stuff) is one technique that has come up. Anything else I can do, whether it be bait/lure selection or something else?

Comment

According to the cell cam I got another one this morning

Yes Marty, thought I had put a dent in them but apparently they just don't get in front of camera very often.
            I had another set with a camera with video that showed at least one coming from a corner of the high fenced place next door so I need to investigate again and see if I can find a hole or crawl under. Willing to help the neighbors out if I can

Comment

Cell cam sent last picture at 0942 this morning and I thought for sure the coyote had escaped but I was on the way home and it sent another pic so I went out and took care of that one.
              Female caught in same set as male. Not sure if they were paired up but glad to have another one off the place

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7919.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	24705795

Comment

Wow I have never seen 8 coyotes in one group in my lifetime. Was she in heat?

Comment

I think it was just 2 groups and I am in an overlap

Pretty certain some came from the high fence cattle ranch (used to have some exotics) but I looked and did not see a crossing/hole/dig under

Turned out she was a he in the pic with 8, it was dark and I was in a hurry and took a quick glance. Rechecked the next morning and saw it was a male.
                  The one today was a young female

Comment

Bt that ol muddy coyote don’t look too happy to see you! I’m ready to get my line checked, it’s so muddy here I can’t get to some of my m44s! The ones I can get to id tear up the roads doing it.

Comment

Got our hides ready to sell.
                      We'll see I guess on the coyotes, hoping the cats save us and bring a decent price but the 2 are not the best.
                      Have to wait until Feb 19 for one buyer coming through and the FHA shipper is through in March or April.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good luck on the sale wytex

Cell cam sending me pictures of 3rd coyote in a week caught. Waiting on dad to do a some plumbing work and it is drizzling so going out around lunch to take care of it.
                        I would not skin a coyote to sell down here, skinning alone would not be worth the best you could get.
                        I skinned the big male I caught and sent to tannery because the wife wanted a coyote hide and it was big for here and fur was decent.

Comment

Just killed a hog.
                          Probably put in 4-8 sets tomorrow.
                          All easy checks. My want-to has declined with the density of coyote sign.

Comment

Got a call for a removal of a coyote that’s trapped inside the high fence. Or he was at least. Found where he actually chewed through the wire at ground level where it was rusted. Put a snare in the crawl through and set two k9 extremes about 50 yrds either side as he’s running the fence line a lot! One flat set was with a deer hide the other was with a deer leg. Made a few others close by at road intersects. Fingers crossed !
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by sharkhunter; 02-16-2023, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Most of my place is flooded out. Pulled all the traps before the flood, and hoping to get some set this weekend in upland areas.

Comment

Put in some blind sets today where I have seen coyotes traveling on game camera. Now to remember not to run over them while checking traps since they are in the ruts of the 4 wheeler trail

Planning on moving a couple of cameras tomorrow that are set up on traps. Noticed the glow is boogering about half the coyotes that it gets video of

Comment

Working...
                                X