Dove plot mgmt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump for 2021.

I bought 8 lbs (1.5 acres) of native sunflowers and got them in the ground in early March. Wish I would have done it before snowmageddon hit to stratify those seeds....but it didn't happen. I also disced 4 more acres in December to hopefully release the existing native sunflower seed bank. Will also plant some peredoviks as well in May.

Also planting 20 lbs of Roundup Ready Corn in late April. Its 102 day corn so should be ready by mid August.

Comment

How did your wgf sorghum do? I read that it continues to put up new tillers and seed heads through the growing season until frost. Did you find this to be correct on your planting? I was going to try wgf but I couldn't find any concep treated seed which prevents injury from preemergent sprayed at planting. I ended up going with a mix that contains 5 different grain sorghums and is treated with concep

Comment

What mix did you get and where 243 wssm?

Comment

We have a place that has never held to many birds, and we planted Kleingrass last year. Well it ended up being a mixture of Klein and Johnson Grass. Had it baled right before the opener, and the birds where all over it. Apparently gamebirds really love Klein seed, and you don't just have a food plot, you can cut it for hay. It seeds out like 3-4 times per year before winter, and is great habitat also. Deer love it's young and tender. Has lots of benefit for wildlife.

This plot was surrounded by milo fields, so they definitely preferred it. I think, they really like the clean cut ground, after it was baled, and there was a line of trees on the fields edge.
          Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 03-31-2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Great thread

My brother just bought some land but they won't start building until next fall. He just finished his tank and is planning to plant something for dove season

What would you guys recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
              How did your wgf sorghum do? I read that it continues to put up new tillers and seed heads through the growing season until frost. Did you find this to be correct on your planting? I was going to try wgf but I couldn't find any concep treated seed which prevents injury from preemergent sprayed at planting. I ended up going with a mix that contains 5 different grain sorghums and is treated with concep
              Cattle got in and ate it to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                We have a place that has never held to many birds, and we planted Kleingrass last year. Well it ended up being a mixture of Klein and Johnson Grass. Had it baled right before the opener, and the birds where all over it. Apparently gamebirds really love Klein seed, and you don't just have a food plot, you can cut it for hay. It seeds out like 3-4 times per year before winter, and is great habitat also. Deer love it's young and tender. Has lots of benefit for wildlife.

This plot was surrounded by milo fields, so they definitely preferred it. I think, they really like the clean cut ground, after it was baled, and there was a line of trees on the fields edge.
                Interesting. I've seen doves flock to a fresh cut coastal bermuda hay field too that had seeded out.

Comment

Originally posted by eyedoc View Post
                  What mix did you get and where 243 wssm?
                  Pheasants Forever seed. Its pricey but it is treated seed and safe with preemergent. Plus free shipping and will plant 4-5 ac. It's called Covey Rise
                  Covey Rise (25# bag) - 1 Bag Plants 4-5 Acres. Covey Rise is a mix of 5 food heavy grain-bearing sorghums with bright fall colors, super food value, and great habitat structure. It creates great hunting habitat and pheasants and quail love it. Though Covey Rise is a bit less attractive to the big ga

Comment

I planted and prepared a great dove plot 3 years ago. It started out awesome and then all died with no rain. Sucked

Comment

They have Klein seed, and just about anything else you could ever want, and fast reasonable shipping. You can buy 1lb or 500lbs.

That link should go to there dove mix.

Comment

I planted 2 acres of roundup ready corn and 2 acres of peredovik sunflowers this past weekend. I wish I would have gotten them in the ground a week earlier with all the good rain last week but it didn't work out.

Forecast shows a 90% chance tomorrow so hope it works out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I planted sorghum, browntop millet, and sunflowers yesterday. We had 4 inches of rain the week before and was surprised by how dry was already ..... Hope we get the rain they have in forecast!!

Comment

uncle.... how have your corn plots done in the past with the hogs ?
                            I have tried soybeans and the hogs eat most the seed before it even gets going ....

Comment

Originally posted by MossyRockRanch View Post
                              uncle.... how have your corn plots done in the past with the hogs ?
                              I have tried soybeans and the hogs eat most the seed before it even gets going ....
                              First year planting corn here....but believe it or not we don't have hogs. Been running trail cams for 2 years and never seen one.

Comment

Lucky !

Comment

Working...
                                X