Grapevine Hunting 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's is probably time to start the 22/23 season thread.

I am pumped to be drawn out here. Hopefully we can get some quality deer on the ground and meet some quality folks out there.

With that I have hunted coastal deer my whole life and they rut in September. When should the deer be rutting at Grapevine?

Hunters: We have made all calls for the 2022-2023 Deer Lotto. So if you didn't hear from us or have a voicemail from us they you were not drawn. We understand the system we had to implement in 2020 is not a fan favorite and based off old thread it seems most would like it where you got a tag number and we post results. That one is a little harder to do since applications are emailed in. But we are already thinking of how to improve the system for next year. Quick question.... how would everyone feel about doing a live draw in person next year? Just trying to get some feedback from you hunters to see what you thought?

Comment

Never seen a live draw done... Would be fun I think

Comment

The live draw could be fun, but might be hard for a lot to make it due to work unless it is in the evening or weekend.

Comment

Live draws are fun. And gives the hunters a chance to meet other hunters. But, like said, work or life could hinder participation for some folks. There by cutting down on participation in the resources. I would also think the logistics of trying to draw deer permits, waterfowl permits, and all the other permits would be kind of taxing on the ACE staff without going to multiple day draws. It would probably need to be held outdoors as well. And some folks may not be able to participate due to heat related problems. Weather could cause a problem as well if storms were to blow up. And I'm very much sure the ACE staff would rather be in an A/C environment during years like this one.

I also want to send "Thanks for all you do" to the staff! Yall rock!

Comment

My friend Josh and I went out yesterday and found some good sign, put out a few cameras, bumped about 6-7 deer and few stud bucks! Hopefully we can put a few down this season; I'm pumped!

Comment

A live draw sounds interesting. I’d also like to thank the staff for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Grapevine USACE View Post
                Hunters: We have made all calls for the 2022-2023 Deer Lotto. So if you didn't hear from us or have a voicemail from us they you were not drawn. We understand the system we had to implement in 2020 is not a fan favorite and based off old thread it seems most would like it where you got a tag number and we post results. That one is a little harder to do since applications are emailed in. But we are already thinking of how to improve the system for next year. Quick question.... how would everyone feel about doing a live draw in person next year? Just trying to get some feedback from you hunters to see what you thought?
                A live draw could be fun. It would need to be an evening or weekend though. This would probably cut out the left over permits that never get picked up too.

Comment

I don’t understand how it’s so hard to get drawn it has been like 7 years since I was last drawn ������

Comment

How about giving all the allotted permits out for the season ? Makes no sense at all that yall sit on 50 to 90 permits each season that are not picked up. The re-draw of 30 percent was a minimal effort at best to allocate those to serious hunters that want these tags! it should be a first come first serve on the remainder of deer permits each season! problem solved i guarantee every permit would be utilized each year. It almost seems as though yall dont want people hunting there the way its been handled!

Comment

Originally posted by Swamphunterfw View Post
                      I don’t understand how it’s so hard to get drawn it has been like 7 years since I was last drawn ������
                      and they dont even give out all the permits allocated its kinda stupid

Comment

I'm not too worried about the draw method...so long as I get drawn it's been years and years! Yall need some hunters to start taking deer off the property, the past 2 years havent produced many deer harvests.

Comment

I'm ok with the current draw system, but do think a live 2nd draw of unclaimed permits would be nice. Give plenty of notice and make it a "be there to win it" type thing on a Saturday. That would help guarantee the seriousness of the applicants.

Whatever y'all decide, as long as we're able to hunt there, I'm happy. Keep up the good work and convince Lavon to start drawing permits for deer!

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                            My friend Josh and I went out yesterday and found some good sign, put out a few cameras, bumped about 6-7 deer and few stud bucks! Hopefully we can put a few down this season; I'm pumped!
                            I was drawn but haven't had a chance to get out there yet. Hope to soon! Has the heat and drought helped with the thickness, or is it still stupidly thick out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy3-17 View Post
                              I was drawn but haven't had a chance to get out there yet. Hope to soon! Has the heat and drought helped with the thickness, or is it still stupidly thick out there?
                              It's pretty thick but it's still possibly to navigate through.

Comment

Working...
                              X