No announcement yet.

2021 Crappie Thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All 3 group 31 batteries, the 2 Dewalt batteries and excess cord are under this seat. The picture was before I added Livescope.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
      What does it look Keith

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
      See my post above. I'm open to ideas or suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
        Something isn't right with my Livescope, I think it's electrical interference. I need to look everything over and see what I can figure out. I've got lots of clutter on the screen and I've tried lots of different settings.

It’s possible it’s pollen. Before the rain last week my screen was full of clutter with no way to clear it up. Fished the following day in the rain and it was clear as you can get one. With Livescope you will constantly be adjusting for a clear picture, but some days good just has to be good enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had as good a day as you can have last week on Palestine before heading back to the rig. It was sprinkling when I started then the bottom dropped out. First 2 fish went 2.55 and 2.82, had several more over 2 with the smallest being a 1.6
          Ready to get home and get back after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why would a female crappie have white eggs in her this time of year? My brother fileted our catch and said two of the females had white eggs instead of yellow or orange is yellow.

Comment

The kids kept me busy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                Something isn't right with my Livescope, I think it's electrical interference. I need to look everything over and see what I can figure out. I've got lots of clutter on the screen and I've tried lots of different settings.

Pollen in the water or something this time of year makes the picture crap! It's gonna be like that for a month or so. You can play with the gain and adjust the TVG to med or low and knock out alot of the clutter and see your jig better but you lose seeing some fish too! I go back and forth throughout the day right now.

Comment

Man get the grease hot

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                    Pollen in the water or something this time of year makes the picture crap! It's gonna be like that for a month or so. You can play with the gain and adjust the TVG to med or low and knock out alot of the clutter and see your jig better but you lose seeing some fish too! I go back and forth throughout the day right now.
                    You think it could just be pollen, not electrical interference?

Comment

What a week! I'm beat! Fished 5 days in a row and needed to sleep in and come to work today. Fishing has been good everywhere right now. Wind has been the biggest factor for me lately. Hat's off to Clay for prefishing Thursday for our CAT tourney on Sat. I planned on prefishing on a trip Thursday but had a trip for 4 with 2 young kids and didn't wanna have em out in that wind so moved to a smaller lake. They had a great trip but I didn't get to look around any. He checked alot of stuff we discussed that he was able to look at and we just rolled the dice they would be where we thought they would be and they were! We had just over 15 pounds at 830am and culled up another pound before lunch on our scale that weights light but we knew that wasn't enough. I thought if we could get to 17.5 on our scale we would have it. Made a move at the end and stuck 2 big fish that moved us up to 17.15 which turned into 17.83 and big fish of 2.91. She was 2.71 on my scale. All fish were released back into Fork to do their thing! We had an amazing day. I remember ranting about 1 that all we were catching was 2 pounders! Nothing that was helping us any! I bet we caught 40 fish between 1.90 and 2.10! Good problem to have I guess! Ended the day with some Crazy Good Mexican Food at the Jalapeno Tree! Man I love that place!

Slew

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                        I think I may order one of those. I have been looking at them and thinking about it for to long! My home made PVC mount is getting old!
                        I'll report back when i get some on the water experience!

Comment

Keith, sorry to hear your picture is not great. many others have made good points. if all else fails, you may want to set back to factory defaults and build from there. Below is something i stole from TFF. you may be able to find the video to go with the guide below. I never knew about color gain until a few months ago and it is a very handy adjustment that many overlook. you may have to turn up noise reject and turn down TVG for a while until water clears up, then go back and crank them up to make sure you can still see your jig. Good luck!

The 10 Best Garmin LiveScope Settings to Get the Best Picture

By Jason Sealock •Aug 18, 2020
                          John Soukup, owner of TheBassTank.com and professional bass and crappie tournament angler, is one of the most knowledgeable anglers of Garmin LiveScope. He was one of the first guys in the nation to have it and he's seen all the applications for bass and crappie. He can practically apply the knowledge of these technologies to catch more fish as well as address any of the common install and usages issues anglers will have through his years of installs and troubleshooting.

We asked Soukup to give us a rundown of the 10 best settings for Garmin LiveScope to help anglers get the best looking picture on their units, and be able to see the fish, their lures and the cover in all fishing situations.

Here are the 10 settings and we'll give you link next to the title to the specific place in the video where he talks about each specific setting.

crappie-stake-bed-livescope-jpg.jpg
                          Jason Sealock
                          1. Noise Reject (39 seconds)

Noise reject helps filter the information that is coming into your unit from your LiveScope processor and transducer. When you have it turned off you'll see a lot of clutter on the screen. You will want a little clutter to filter through because you want to be able to see your line and small jigs on the screen and you need some of the information to pass through. But the Noise Reject setting at high will eliminated a lot of unwanted clutter.

To set it go to your LiveScope screen and choose Menu > Sonar Setup > Noise Reject and choose High.

2. TVG (1 min, 28 secs)

TVG stands for Time Variable Gain. This is filter information top to bottom to let you see further into the water. When you're in water less than 15 feet deep, you'll want to set TVG to off as it will filter too much out on the top part of the water column and you could miss some fish up there. Deeper than that and you can start with low.

To set it. Go to your Livescope Screen and choose Menu > Sonar Setup > TVG and choose OFF.

3. Color Gain (2 mins, 6 secs)

Color Gain is a way to set the intensity of just the objects that Livescope will detect. Instead of pumping up the gain and contrast of the whole screen, color gain just pumps up the fish, brush, your lure and other objects in the water. So this is a setting you can turn way up if you're having a hard time seeing fish or your lure at a distance. Soukup talks about his favorite settings in the video above, but each person needs to find their happy medium for where they fish.

To set it, go to your LiveScope Screen and choose Menu > Sonar Setup > Appearance > Color Gain. It defaults around 50 and Soukup often runs his up to 83 or 84 to really make those returns stand out on the screen.

4. Gain (3 mins, 5 secs)

After you get Noise Reject, TVG and Color Gain adjusted, then you can start tweaking your Gain up and down to see how much clutter you like cleared or showing to make sure you see the cover, the fish and your lure if necessary to make the most precise presentations to the fish. This is truly a user preference and you will find at times you will turn it up and other times you'll turn it down as you change locations and depth.

To set it go to your LiveScope Screen and down at the bottom towards the right you'll see Gain. You can click the + or - to increase and decrease your Gain.

soukup-color-palettes.jpg
                          Jason Sealock
                          5. Color Scheme (3 mins, 23 secs)

Everyone sees a little differently. It's this way on Marine Electronics for sure. Some folks see amber better while some see blue better. Sometimes on a cloudy day, one palette draws a better picture than another for different people. So that's why there are so many options. Soukup was a big fan of Black Emerald when he was here fishing the Crappie Masters tournament on Kentucky Lake looking for crappie in stake beds and brush piles that were covered in shad fry. I like the Blue and the Amber palettes.

To set it, go to your LiveScope screen and choose Menu > Sonar Setup > Appearance > Color Scheme. Then choose the color palette that you can best see everything with on that body of water.

6. Range (4 mins, 48 secs)

Range understanding is critical to distinguishing not only species of fish but size of same species of fish. So if you're hunting bigger crappie and not wanting to cull through a lot of little ones, you can learn what they look like by keeping your range in close and keeping it consistent. Same with your depth. As you stretch and constrict your screen sideways (range) and up and down (depth) you change the scale and detail LiveScope can display.

Soukup has some good feedback on how far out to use Range in the video above.

To set Range, go to your LiveScope screen. At the bottom left is the Range option. You can expand out or pull it back in.

Usually I stay between 25 and 50. I use 25 when I'm fishing for a specific fish on the screen. I use 50 when I'm trying to see a piece of cover before I get on it or if I want to sit off a school and make sure my bait is landing in the right place every time.

7. Depth (6 mins, 36 secs)

Like Range, keeping your depth consistent helps identify fish and how big the fish are before you ever put a lure in their face. Soukup recommends keep the depth setting on manual so the screen won't auto range in and out. Then set the depth to 3 or 4 feet deeper than the depth you're in. That will keep the menu items out of the way and below what you want to see on the screen.

To Set Depth, go to your LiveScope screen and choose, Menu > Depth Range then select a depth a few feet deeper than where you're fishing.

8. Bottom Fill & Trails (7 mins, 58 secs)

When you are fishing for fish that are hunkering on the bottom, something Walleye often do, you might want to use the Bottom Fill and Trails features.

To set these, go to your LiveScope Screen. Then choose Menu > Sonar Setup > Appearance > Bottom Fill or Trails. See a more detailed explanation of what each does in the video above.

17may20-0922-00.png
                          Jason Sealock
                          9. Orientation (Perspective Mode): 10 mins, 39 secs

You bought the new Perspective Mode Mount and are having trouble with it auto sensing and showing you the new perspective mode. Turn the transducer to Perspective mode. Then go to your unit and on the LiveScope screen choose Menu > Sonar Setup >Installation > Orientation and choose Perspective. Or set to Auto and it should autosense when you move the transducer.

10. Transmit (overheating fix): 11 mins, 46 secs

If you are having issues with Panoptix shutting off because the transducer is overheating while it's on the deck in the hot scorching summer heat. You can fix this by turning the transmit off while the Panoptix LiveScope transducer is out of the water.

To turn it off, go to Menu > Transmit > Off.

Comment

Thinking about going up to Caddo for a few days. Anyone here ever fish it? Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                              Keith, sorry to hear your picture is not great. many others have made good points. if all else fails, you may want to set back to factory defaults and build from there. Below is something i stole from TFF. you may be able to find the video to go with the guide below. I never knew about color gain until a few months ago and it is a very handy adjustment that many overlook. you may have to turn up noise reject and turn down TVG for a while until water clears up, then go back and crank them up to make sure you can still see your jig. Good luck!

The 10 Best Garmin LiveScope Settings to Get the Best Picture

By Jason Sealock •Aug 18, 2020
                              Thanks for the information. I've seen that video a couple of times, but it's been a while. I'll go back and review it again. In fact, I'll go check out several others with settings recommendations. It seems everyone sets their Livescope up differently. Maybe it's mostly pollen, like Slew mentioned. I plan to go fishing again this weekend, I'll report back if it's better then.

Comment

Got stuck in the finger cleaning fish Friday. Wear a glove to keep from getting my hands cut up but still get finned some pulling em out the cooler or the sink. Didn't think much about it till yesterday my finger was sore and today my hand is red, feels like it's on fire, and swelled up! Got 2 shots and an antibiotic this morning! I got fish to catch! Can't be messing around with an infection! Know 2 other folks that have had it. One waited too long and it got nasty!

Comment

Working...
                                X