375 h&h factory gun - Remington, Winchester, Kimber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

375 h&h factory gun - Remington, Winchester, Kimber

I’m looking into getting a factory 375 h&h rifle with express sights. Not wanting to spend a fortune and I’m not going dangerous game hunting right now - so doesn’t have to be a controlled round feed action.

Does anyone have input on the best accuracy potential between the following factory rifles?

- Remington 700 Classic
    - Kimber Talkeetna
    - Winchester model 70 super express (recent manufacture)

It will be a moderate range elk and Nilgai rifle.

Thanks for the input!

I was gonna say pre-64 Win, but you axed it, so I'm gonna say the Kimber 1st, Win 2nd.

Comment

I would go with a Remington just in case it doesn’t live up to the level of accuracy you are looking for there is more aftermarket support and every Smith works on a Remington 700

Comment

My coworker went through a similar exercise a few years ago, before a trip to Africa. He wound up with a Ruger No1 and is thrilled with it.

Comment

Don’t rule out the CZ550

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Don’t rule out the CZ550
            Not sure about the CZ 375 H&Hs, I am pretty sure BRNO makes some of the CZ guns or they are sold as CZ. I know that the BRNO 375 H&Hs the chambers are not close to what a actual 375 H&H chamber should be, the case fits very loose. They say when you fire a round out of a BRNO 375, it does not look like a 375 H&H anymore and won't fit in any other 375 H&H. I want to say brass fired in a BRNO 375 H&H, is just scrap brass, not really good for reloading as 375 H&H.

most CZs are great rifles and BRNOs are considered one of the best African big game guns, but the BRNO 375 H&Hs are supposed to be one to stay away from, because of the chambers are way loose. But, because the BRNOs are considered to be so good, some guys buy them anyway in 375 H&H and have them rebarreled. They are supposed to be some very reliable, durable guns. Just somehow BRNO does not seem to have a good ream for the 375 H&H.

Comment

From what you are describing, I would probably look at a Winchester model 70 Express or a Remington 700. The 700 should be more accurate.

The CZ or BRNOs are great choices if you can find one that the chamber has been reamed with a good ream.

Comment

Winchester mod 70 with the classic action. A CRF for me on a rifle like that is a must.
                Last edited by sharkhunter; 05-02-2021, 10:34 AM.

Comment

You can probably find what you are looking for on accuratereloading.com classifieds

Comment

I had a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger, it would shoot under an inch with handloads. I traded it for a Ruger African in 416, it shoots about 1 1/2 at 100. The fit and finish is perfect.

Comment

I’ve got one in the Browning A Bolt with the Boss system and the Remington 700, the Browning definitely shoots better but the Remington cycles a little smoother. My go to pig gun is the Browning.

Comment

I like the Winchester with CRF action.

Comment

My dad has taken his m70 Safari express chambered in .375 to Africa a couple of times and it been a great gun. Despite the chamber and payload it actually is much more shooter friendly than some 300 Wins I have shot over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the input, the kimber seems like it's a good fit for what I would want to do with it - but the classic wood and blued look of the winchester crf is what I originally had in mind...

Decisions, Decisions

Comment

Don't overthink it. In the $1000 plus or minus price range you can find some good stuff. The best deals no one knows about are the Whitworth express rifles built on Interarms actions. I really like my CZ550, and there are a lot for sale (though that's relative given the caliber). You'll also find a lot of of M70s both in controlled round and push feed actions. The 700 Classics can command a premium and they're a touch light, but some years ago Remington made a limited edition .375H&H that was basically a SPS with iron sites. Definitely look at the classifieds on accuratereloading.com. It's a great group of guys who shoot a lot of big guns.

Comment

Working...
                              X