No announcement yet.

Help - Thumb Sucking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter had this problem when she was young too. We had a dental device put in her mouth that wouldn't allow her thumb to fit in the roof of her mouth. It’s kind of like a retainer that is glued in and rather than fitting the roof of the mouth it sits lower to block the thumb and take the comfort out of it. It worked great for her and once it was out she never looked back. Plus it’s painless and no one will know it’s in his mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
      My daughter had this problem when she was young too. We had a dental device put in her mouth that wouldn't allow her thumb to fit in the roof of her mouth. It’s kind of like a retainer that is glued in and rather than fitting the roof of the mouth it sits lower to block the thumb and take the comfort out of it. It worked great for her and once it was out she never looked back. Plus it’s painless and no one will know it’s in his mouth.
      Thank you!

He goes to dentist in Nov

How long does it stay in?

Do you remember the cost?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
        Use the great parenting method of LYING, lol. I had to tell my little girl that at night weird little night bugs came out when she was sleeping and pooped all over her fingers and if she sucked them, she would get that in her mouth and it would lead to bugs crawling out of her butt to get out. LOL. But it is working for last 6 weeks. I don't know why I came up with that, but it works haha
        Thanks I just went and washed my hands .

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
          Thanks I just went and washed my hands .
          Have to admit, it made my butt hole twinge a little after reading that.

Comment

Thumb sucking is a psychological comfort and habit. I think it takes creative discipline to work through it. I have a niece that is 22yrs old and still sucks her thumb.

Comment

Help - Thumb Sucking

My 6 year old does it when she's tired or nervous. I wouldn't stress too much. My cousin's kid was a bad thumb sucker and she stopped as she got a little older with no weird problems, but the pooping bugs & worms seems like a much more entertaining route.

I used to swallow my gum a lot when I was a kid so my mom told me my butt cheeks would stick together and I wouldn't be able to poop. Worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                Thank you!

He goes to dentist in Nov

How long does it stay in?

Do you remember the cost?
                I don't remember how long she wore it. I think it was up to the Dr. As far as cost I don't think it was too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
                  We used this for two of my kids. Works like a charm and once its in, you as the parent never have to fuss at them.
                  I think they wore it for less than a year and it was not a costly thing. don't remember if that tells you anything. Heck, insurance may cover it?

Comment

We used this. It only took a week for my daughter to stop sucking her fingers. I put it on her twice a day.

Comment

You should determine what is causing the thumb sucking. It is probably an emotional problem rather than a feel good thing. Improper handling of this situation can do much harm for the child.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

He wants to stop, he always just says I can't help it.

So I know its time to really get on it and help him out.

I honestly don't think he even knows it. I was flying next to him last weekend and I would just keep pulling it out over and over and he was shocked each time.

Crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie41 View Post
                          You should determine what is causing the thumb sucking. It is probably an emotional problem rather than a feel good thing. Improper handling of this situation can do much harm for the child.
                          Well it started when we were building our house. Stressful time for sure.

Once he found it and started using it, man it has just became a habit. So i don't think its one thing just a habit that he goes to when bored, sleepy, need comfort..

But heck, who knows.

Thats just my best guess at it.

Comment

I've found that yelling incessantly and throwing things will put a child's mind at ease.

My girl sucked hers until about 4. We sat her down and asked her about it. She said she liked the taste. We soaked her thumb in vinegar twice and she never sucked it again.

Also, how is **** caught by the swear filter but butt hole is OK?

Comment

If he was 14 and playing baseball sucking his thumb at 2nd base I would be concerned. At 6, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                                If he was 14 and playing baseball sucking his thumb at 2nd base I would be concerned. At 6, not so much.
                                OH for sure, I agree but he has expressed the desire to quit and says he cannot.

So I want to help him out to kick it.

Comment

Working...
                                X