Who shoots the 28 Nosler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who shoots the 28 Nosler

I’m about to buy a new rifle and was going to get another 6.5 creedmoor. But found a 28 Nosler at a dang good price. I have other 6.5 creedmoors and really like the gun/caliber but that 28 Nosler has me thinking. Also have 6.5x284, 6.5x55

What your experience with barrel life.
    Is this a long range gun 6-800 yards
    I reload so ammo isn’t a problem

Thanks for any help

I have one, it’s a bad dude. I load 175 VLD’s and it lays the animals out.
    It will blow a hole thru a 3/8 steel plate at 600 yds.

Comment

I have one. It is definitely a bad dude for long range. I'm shooting 175 ELDx and at 1000 yards still has 1500 ft/lb of energy and 1950 fps. The only problem is finding brass. Nosler is the only place that makes it and they seem to only release it a couple times a year and it goes FAST! I'm on several email lists to be notified when it comes out, but still waiting. Right now I can't even find loaded ammo to use the brass from. Quite aggravating. Due to this reason if I had to do it all over i would have built a plain ol 7RM. I'm not a good enough shot to feel comfortable shooting at an animal past 700 yards and a 7rm has plenty of umph for that, and can still ring steel well beyond a grand.
      Last edited by ColinR; 09-11-2018, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
        I have one. It is definitely a bad dude for long range. I'm shooting 175 ELDx and at 1000 yards still has 1500 ft/lb of energy and 1950 fps. The only problem is finding brass. Nosler is the only place that makes it and they seem to only release it a couple times a year and it goes FAST! I'm on several email lists to be notified when it comes out, but still waiting. Right now I can't even find loaded ammo to use the brass from. Quite aggravating. Due to this reason if I had to do it all over i would have built a plain ol 7RM. I'm not a good enough shot to feel comfortable shooting at an animal past 700 yards and a 7rm has plenty of umph for that, and can still ring steel well beyond a grand.
        You are correct, been looking for ammo and can’t find anything

Comment

You can also neck up 26 nosler.

Comment

Nosler is notorious for making batches of brass. When it’s gone, you’ll be waiting awhile. I’d be very hesitant to build or buy any of the Nosler rounds. I had same issue with Nosler 300 RUM brass.

Comment

I love the 28 Nosler it’s a hammer. I haven't had a problem with ammo. I did loaded up with ammo before the 28 Nosler craze took off. Barrel life will last me a lifetime, since it’s only used for hunting.

Comment

If you want the absolute hottest 7mm available, go for it (or the 7mm RUM). But I'd probably build or buy a 7mm STW for a hotter 7mm. It gets you a bump over the 7mm Rem Mag but doesn't burn the mountains of powder or have the brass availability issues that the Nosler or RUM have.

LWD

Comment

I would not do it unless you are sitting on a pile of brass. Its hard to find for sure.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the input. Looks like I’ll hold off on it for now

Comment

I built one. It was an awesome rifle. But at the end of the day I couldn’t really figure out what it would do that others in the safe wouldn’t. So I sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                        I built one. It was an awesome rifle. But at the end of the day I couldn’t really figure out what it would do that others in the safe wouldn’t. So I sold it.
                        With that logic, I wouldn't need as many gun safes. I bought a Christensen Ridgeline in 28 Nosler and bought 6 boxes of 26 Nosler brass when Bullets.com was selling out. Used a K&M expander mandrel, imperial sizing wax and about 30 minutes to neck all of them up to 28. I discovered that I couldn't go by all the published load data and push them in this rifle or it left ejector marks on the brass. Still pushing a 175 grain Nosler LRAB at 3100 fps and 21.7 MOA to 1000 yards with enough energy to cleanly kill a hog (1350 lb-ft, feeder at 1000 yds), what else you need? With a Leupold VX5-HD with it's 38 moa vertical limit, can still dial to 1250 yds (longest plate we have). With scope it weighs just over 8 lbs.
                        Last edited by XR650RRider; 09-14-2018, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by XR650RRider View Post
                          With that logic, I wouldn't need as many gun safes. I bought a Christensen Ridgeline in 28 Nosler and bought 6 boxes of 26 Nosler brass when Bullets.com was selling out. Used a K&M expander mandrel, imperial sizing wax and about 30 minutes to neck all of them up to 28. I discovered that I couldn't go by all the published load data and push them in this rifle or it left ejector marks on the brass. Still pushing a 175 grain Nosler LRAB at 3100 fps and 21.7 MOA to 1000 yards with enough energy to cleanly kill a hog (1350 lb-ft, feeder at 1000 yds), what else you need? With a Leupold VX5-HD with it's 38 moa vertical limit, can still dial to 1250 yds (longest plate we have). With scope it weighs just over 8 lbs.

To each their own. For me, a $6k full custom rifle should fill a need that isn’t filled by my other customs.

I’m not a 28 Nosler hater. Far from it. But it is a great long range elk hammer and good for shooting steel at distance. Otherwise, there are better options for pretty much anything else you would ask a caliber to do. Not saying that it can’t do other things. Just saying that there are other calibers that do those things better or more efficiently.

Comment

Working...
                          X