21+ First Time Elk Hunting Tips from Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21+ First Time Elk Hunting Tips from Experts

If you're getting started on an elk hunting trip, you might look for someone who can point you in the right direction.

So I decided to ask 21+ experts the same question: "For first-time elk hunters, what should we prepare to increase the chance of success?"

Hopefully, these first-time elk hunting tips below can help you fill your tags. Here they are:
    • Finding elk is 90% of the battle
    • Knowledge
    • Hunting where elk are is number one
    • Absolutely relentless in finding elk
    • Make sure your broadhead will finish the job
    • Keep positive (never give up) mindset
    • Practice a lot and be in a good shape
    • Know your rifle, load and train to employ it quickly out to 300 yards
    • Use a spotting scope more than boot leather
    • Use a hunting consultant/booking agent
    • Starts with planning
    • Know which way the wind is blowing
    • Know the terrain
    • Get in Shape
    • Using applications to create opportunities to hunt…

Source: https://archerytopic.com/first-time-elk-hunting-tips/

Curious how many elk the Archery Topic author has killed. I agree with get in shape and stay relentless. It definitely ain't chasing whitetails.

Comment

Know your rifle? Elk are made to bow hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
        x2! when i can't bow hunt them i will shoot them with a camera

Comment

Shhh, don't tell the rifle people how much better archery season is. Already too many of us as it stands now!

Comment

That’s all good info!! I’m no expert but I would add Thales care of your feet, make sure you boots are broke in. In the mountains if your feet are done, your done!

Comment

I think get in shape is #1. No matter how in shape you think you are, the altitude will do a number on you.

Comment

Sorry but no spotting scope for elk hunting for us, good binos that you can see well in timber are a better choice than a spotter.
                And "a hunting consultant booking agent", give me a break.
                Study the draw odds and apply.

Better add, research altitude sickness and be prepared.

Didn't see anything about good fitting boots and a pack for packing out quarters.

Comment

One of the things I learned is to always be mobile. If you have a plan and the elk are not we’re you planned them to be then you need to move quickly to another area. Lots of hunters stay way to long we’re the elk are not.

Comment

Sorry, but elk were made to be eaten !

Comment

GoHunt.com is your friend. Excellent tool to identify areas that have potential and eliminate those that don't.

Do not cow call once they are within 75 yards or so. Their ears are like a radar and they look but don't see another elk they will hang up on you.

Learn how the thermals work throughout the day, they can make or break your success

Don't just locate the elk in a general area and go for it, pinpoint them if at all possible, play the thermals then make your move

Learn how to care for your meat in warm temps if there is potential for them. It would suck to be successful but loose the meat to spoilage

Good binos with a chest pouch or harness. I hunted with a harness last year but switched to an Outdoor Vision pouch for this year

Comment

Working...
                      X