Souring corn for hog bait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Souring corn for hog bait

After all that I've heard about sour corn, I thought that I'd try making a batch. I put a 50# bag of corn mixed with a 1/3 bag of hog wild in a 30 gallon trash can, and added some water and just a touch of diesel. I put the cover on and waited a week, with the can being in the sun for about half of each day. After a week, it looked like the corn had soaked up most of the water and it just smelled a little stale, so I added more water and waited another week. This time the stuff was horrid. I could barely stand to be within ten feet of the can. So I dumped it out where the hogs were sure to find it. The corn was soaked, and there were big clumps of molded corn mixed in. I could smell the pile from twenty yards away!

My question is, is this how you want it? Should it be THIS nasty and rotten? Or should I only add enough water to make it ferment a little. Any tips for a first time corn sourer? Thanks!

I usually like it to be that nasty. Hogs will eat just about anything. I dont put diesel on it though coons not too much of a problem around here. I have a batch right now in a 55 gal plastic barrel about a 100 lbs in there uder about 6in of water sitting in the sun. whenever I need some I dip a 5 gal bucket in a get some out. (its very nasty if you get some on you)

Comment

mine is never molded, and i dont make that much. i pour enough corn to fill two 5 gallon buckets about 4/5ths full and then pour cheap beer in untill it starts to run over... let sit till it has a fermented smell( about 3 days) and then pou out and sprinkle hog wild or cherry coolaid mix on top.. works great

Comment

if you cover it with water it will absorb most of the water over night then top it off the next day. there is no need to add anything to the corn just water and it will sour up. then i dig a post hole 2 to 3 feet deep and pour it in. you want it to smell pretty bad so they can find it easy. I take a 15 foot long piece of french drain pipe that you buy in a roll and wire it to a tree about 4 feet up smash the loose end and fold it over then wire it closed and fill it with dry corn cut two 1" holes at the end one on each side. they will knock it around and get the corn out of it a little at a time. it makes a heck of a racket.

Comment

Thanks for the idea. Looks like something that is easy to do and even easier to carry around.

Originally posted by dfwhogkiller View Post
          mine is never molded, and i dont make that much. i pour enough corn to fill two 5 gallon buckets about 4/5ths full and then pour cheap beer in untill it starts to run over... let sit till it has a fermented smell( about 3 days) and then pou out and sprinkle hog wild or cherry coolaid mix on top.. works great

Comment

So you guys really COVER the corn with water/beer? Does the corn soak all of it up or is there excess? We have a lot of coons around, and you can easily shoot six of them in the first hour of dark at our feeders. To those who use it, how much diesel do you put in 50 pounds of corn? I just put a tiny bit and it reeked of diesel. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

there is still excess beer

Comment

save beer use milk that sh...tuff will be rank in half the time.

Comment

Let's see some pictures. Dead hog are good hogs.

Comment

If it has turned rank, you have done yer job. Pat yourself on the back and get up wind of this stuff. You might want to put a close pin on your nose. Now I am going to give you a recipe that requires 2 close pins! Try souring up corn flakes with big red soda.

Comment

i like to leave it in the sun a long time...you know its ready when you open it and you gag and throw up.....

Comment

New batch

I've been mixing my corn with diesel and Pigout in the past. I've tried a new batch of my own design for this year. Haven't tried it out yet....waiting for cooler weather. It's percolating in the sun. Won't say the ingredience yet till I see how it works.

SNAKEHUNTER

Comment

I leave my bags out in a couple of rain storms then pu them in the garage to grow beards on the inside. Works like a charm. Last 50 lb bag I opened made me gag and my glasses fogged up. I had game cam pics of them on it that night. The next morning revealed that it had been cleaned up. They hit hte spot for several more days cuz of the stink in the grass. This stuff was so nasty it was brown with freakin' bugs all over in it. Hogs loved it. I think it impossible to "Over" sour corn for hogs...they eat each other for cryin' out loud. Many times you can also buy sour corn at Gander in the Spring - bags that were caught out in a rain storm for about $4 per bag. The last batch I bought was sour but dry. I threw soured corn from my feeder for a month. It was like Woodstock under my feeder!

Comment

Show us some results! KAP baby!

Comment

Thanks guys! I guide hog hunts on my parent's place, and we've got some long time family friends coming this weekend. It's a dad and his two sons (18 and 15). The dad is an experienced hunter but his boys have never shot a hog before. I've been seeing a nice 200 pound tusker on the trail cams, I'll be sure to post him up if one of the hunters shoots him. I'll try to get some past kill and trail camera pics up later today. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X