Which Brand of Air Conditioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
    All of their units are made here in Texas, too.
    Last I checked Trane and American Standard were still coming out of the Tyler plant. That may have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
      My question is what is so important about the installation? These things come pretty much put together. Make sure its level and will drain, solder up copper, vaccume and charge. Other than design of ducts/return ensuring all seams are sealed properly what is so important?
      Two companies install the exact same unit.

Company A uses highly trained, experienced installers. Everything is neat and clean. They cover your floors and sweep your garage when they are done. They install to or above mfr specs. Their install includes accessories like drain monitors, smart thermostat, advanced filtration, UV light for the coil, surge protection. They replace the breakers, disconnect boxes, and even the platform the unit sits on. They include an ironclad 10 year protection plan that includes annual service.

Company B offers a price thousands cheaper on the same unit. Their installer has “done ac” for years (1.5). Their install is more of a box swap, and includes no accessories that didnt come in the box with the unit. They were in a hurry to get to their second job of the day (when you slap them in cheap, it takes more to make a living) so they only got the vacuum to 1500 microns instead of 500, but that’s good enough. Doing this they leave a tiny leak that nobody knows about. When this issue surfaces 10 months later, the company is nowhere to be found and they didnt register the equipment so you are on your own for not only this repair, but all future repairs.

But hey, it was a Trane so it must be good.

Comment

We have replaced 2 of 3 systems with goodman in the past five years. All running strong and 10 year warranty.

These are basic single speed systems. I have not researched how they compare for zoned and variable speed setups....

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
          We have replaced 2 of 3 systems with goodman in the past five years. All running strong and 10 year warranty.

These are basic single speed systems. I have not researched how they compare for zoned and variable speed setups....

I’m having a 16 seer 2-stage Goodman installed next week. They have always been considered the “cheapy” brand, but, they have really stepped up to the plate on quality and warranty in the past few years.
          Much of the performance depends on how your ductwork is designed and installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
            Daikin…

Been in a few months.

Electric bill is cheaper and with variable speed house stays awesome.

2700 sq ft.

Warranty is the best

We rolled the Daikan way too this past spring and it has done well. Our guy listened to us about warm areas in the house, rerouted/enlarged some duct work and it has been great. Cold everywhere in the house now and shuts off all day long... we've had some 98 and 99s (feels like 102-103) so it will be interesting to see how it performs when we get those 103-105 deg days. Its already out-performing our old Trane unit that wouldn't have shut down on those 98-99 deg days until the evening..

Comment

AC

This is interesting install is everything they will all blow cold air most are are using Copland compressors and Trane has all aluminum foil. Daikin commercial units are built in Waller not sure where Mcquay thought came from. I think the flimsly came from Janitrol days, most of the manufactures build a builder unit Goodman is not that. Really what it depends on how long you plan to live there,age just to list a few is what I would say to how high a seer unit. They all have issues and I don't think most go as long as they use to, because they all try and save money. After a period of time updating saves money, I have been in this industry for over 35 years also

Comment

Over 27 years experience with residential flood repairs, remodeling, and new construction (mass production and custom). All at the same time. 27 professional years of each. $200k-1.5mil price points.

#1 How long are you going to keep the house?

#2 What is your lifestyle? 78, 76, 72 degrees or even cooler? Days and nights.

#3 As others have stated, the installer is equally or more important as the brand & model. I've built some very tight houses at $200k with base level components.

Consider that nearly all houses are concrete, lumber, and masonry; What makes one better constructed than the other? Good Supervision.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  We rolled the Daikan way too this past spring and it has done well. Our guy listened to us about warm areas in the house, rerouted/enlarged some duct work and it has been great. Cold everywhere in the house now and shuts off all day long... we've had some 98 and 99s (feels like 102-103) so it will be interesting to see how it performs when we get those 103-105 deg days. Its already out-performing our old Trane unit that wouldn't have shut down on those 98-99 deg days until the evening..
                  Knock on wood, I won't need this anytime soon. but
                  can you PM info on your 'GUY" ? i have a lot of Hot spot's in the house, need someone to to truly look and redesign the duct work

David G

Comment

So, it sounds like six of one half dozen of the other. I guess different units pull different amounts of amperage regarding size requirements? If so then you’d probably wanna be sure your not paying for more than you need.
                    Do they make propane ac,s and if so how do those stack up against electric? Just curious.

Comment

Which Brand of Air Conditioner?

Had an ac guy come by yesterday for a replacement quote. They sell Armstrong, he says it’s the “caddy of Lennox”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by savin yours; 07-29-2021, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Goodman all aluminum

Comment

18 years is not old IMHO. You may have to replace the fan motor upstairs or on the condenser unit or perhaps some start capacitors but I would expect you should get up to 30 years. I keep capacitors and extra fan motors in stock and swap them out when they fail.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                            Had an ac guy come by yesterday for a replacement quote. They sell Armstrong, he says it’s the “caddy of Lennox”?

Armstrong is a lennox subsidiary brand. Kind of like how an archery brand has their flagship bow that sells at pro shops (lennox), they also have the ones that sell at Bass Pro Shops under the Redhead brand (Armstrong).

Every AC guy will tell you that whatever brand they peddle is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                              Armstrong is a lennox subsidiary brand. Kind of like how an archery brand has their flagship bow that sells at pro shops (lennox), they also have the ones that sell at Bass Pro Shops under the Redhead brand (Armstrong).

Every AC guy will tell you that whatever brand they peddle is the best.

[emoji1303]Thanks

Comment

I can give you a list of the best air conditioning brands. Trane Central AC Units. Rheem Air Conditioners. Lennox HVAC Units. York AC Units. Ruud Central Air Conditioners. Amana HVAC Systems. HEIL Air Conditioners. Bryant Air Conditioning Units. And here are the worst brands of air conditioning like: Onida, Akai, Hisense, Tcl and Mistral, which are bad not only at air conditioning, but also at other electronics. If you want to install a good air conditioner, you will also need some good craftsmen. I for example hired a team from here https://www.spartamech.co.uk/air-conditioning-service/, and I was pleased with the result. Hope you will succeed.
                                Last edited by janleana; 07-30-2021, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X