No announcement yet.

Which Brand of Air Conditioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The corrosion problem is formicary corrosion.

This definition explains the meaning of Formicary Corrosion and why it matters.

Aluminum may be the answer, time will tell
    Last edited by double bogey; 06-19-2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Some mfgs are using all aluminum micro channel coils. Don't let them get so dirty a spray nozzle on a hose won't work.

Comment

The lighter weight coils has a lot to do with pleasing our governments higher efficiency requirements regulated to the manufacturers

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
          The corrosion problem is formicary corrosion.

This definition explains the meaning of Formicary Corrosion and why it matters.

Aluminum may be the answer, time will tell
          Good information.

"Formicary" corrosion is the term the techs used when they replaced my coil recently. This time they put in a Sustainable Coil made in Lindale, TX. It came with a 5 year guarantee instead of Trane's 1 year.

double bogey. Just wondering if you think these coils will last. From their website.

"All RCTWE replacement coils utilize UNIGUARD® by Luvata copper alloy tubing for proven protection against formicary corrosion, the leading cause of coil leaks in copper tube applications. As an added feature, we also utilize aluminum end plates to further reduce rust corrosion."

Reliable HVAC Solutions: Sustainable Coils’ Trane / American Standard (AS) Replacement Coils for TWE, 2/4TEC, 2/4TEE, 2/4TEH Air Handlers. Experience enhanced durability with 3/8 OD Copper Tube and rust-resistant aluminum end plates. Includes a 5-year replacement warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
            Good information.

"Formicary" corrosion is the term the techs used when they replaced my coil recently. This time they put in a Sustainable Coil made in Lindale, TX. It came with a 5 year guarantee instead of Trane's 1 year.

double bogey. Just wondering if you think these coils will last. From their website.

"All RCTWE replacement coils utilize UNIGUARD® by Luvata copper alloy tubing for proven protection against formicary corrosion, the leading cause of coil leaks in copper tube applications. As an added feature, we also utilize aluminum end plates to further reduce rust corrosion."

http://www.sustainablecoils.com/tran...ent-coils.html
            Those guys make great direct-replacement coils. We use them all the time. Usually at a better price point than factory replacements to if the factory warranty has run out.

Comment

Different copper alloy, time will tell. There are coatings some mfgs are using on commercial equipment.

Comment

The trane I had only made it about 10 years and the coils were toast. It was cheaper to replace the unit since I new it wasn't going to make another 10 years. I had to replace a motor on year 7 also. I went with Rheem this time around without all the bells and whistles.

Comment

"knew"

Comment

Andrew, get chance at modern air solutions to get you a quote. Tell him I told you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My TRANE 3 1/2 is 30y old this year......only maint 2 inside house blower motors....2
                      caps outside...Prayers please

Comment

I replaced a rheem from 1978 a couple of weeks back. the condenser coil was leaking on the bottom row, all the way around where it rubbed on the bottom of the unit. Evaporator coil was not leaking. At one time rheem was pretty good equipment. Customer loves his new 2 stage 16 seer system.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                          Some mfgs are using all aluminum micro channel coils. Don't let them get so dirty a spray nozzle on a hose won't work.
                          Absolutely a great habit. I finally developed the habit of rinsing the coils every time I changed the media filters, 2 times/year. That's when I got 16 years out of 2 undersized production grade RHEEM units.

Comment

I used to sell Carrier and Payne. The difference between the two was price and the color of the sticker on many of the units. If they couldn't afford the Carrier we could offer them the "cheaper" Payne unit. Most were identical.

Comment

I've been in the AC installation business for over 27 years and I went with a Daiken on my new house. Just like most of the guys on here are saying, any brand of unit is only as good as the installation.

Comment

AC

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                                My TRANE 3 1/2 is 30y old this year......only maint 2 inside house blower motors....2
                                caps outside...Prayers please
                                Still hummin..prayers please

Comment

Working...
                                X