Wague brisket HEB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wague brisket HEB

While visiting an HEB in LBB we found wague brisket and was wondering how to smoke something this thick. It was 6"/8" at the thickest part. How long would this take to smoke (225 deg) and what internal temp to look for. It was a beautiful chunk of meat so what are some rules to follow to make sure it didn't get burned on the outside and not done internally?

I do mine the same way but I paper wrap at 160 IT and pull off at 190IT instead of 180 and 205 respectively, for a regular brisket.

I've also started seperating the flat and the point during the seasoning process. I've gotten better bark all around and reduced the cook time and any stalls.
    Last edited by Mud Shark; 03-24-2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

About an hour and fifteen/twenty minutes a pound at 225. No problem with 6-8". I go 200-202 internal temp. Have done a lot of wangus as well.

Comment

Wrap in butcher paper like stated above at about 160 or when your bark is set. Pull when probe tender, usually from 195-205. But wagyu is a different beef, so like stated, I'd start checking at 190. What's the weight of the brisket? It's usually around 1.5 hrs per pound.

Comment

The higher the fat content usually the cook goes longer. Think of grilling a filet v a rib eye. I did an "Ultra Prime" recently (whatever the hell that is) and due to the fat content it went a few hours longer than what I usually have to cook.

Comment

Wague brisket HEB

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
            The higher the fat content usually the cook goes longer. Think of grilling a filet v a rib eye. I did an "Ultra Prime" recently (whatever the hell that is) and due to the fat content it went a few hours longer than what I usually have to cook.

That’s kinda odd. My prime briskets usually cook faster than choice or selects due to more fat content.
            The more marbling it has, it seems to cook faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I generally allow time for 1.5 hours per pound. I'll rub down with salt and coarse ground pepper, throw on the smoker at 225 until it reaches 160-165 internal temp, then wrap until it reaches 205, then its time to eat! Sometimes if I'm tight on pellets I'll finish it in the oven once I wrap it, the brisket will only take so much smoke and I haven't noticed a difference in flavor when I finish in the oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                That hasn't been my experience at all, when I've cooked a Prime or Wagyu brisket they seem to get up to temp/done much faster than a Select brisket.

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
                  That hasn't been my experience at all, when I've cooked a Prime or Wagyu brisket they seem to get up to temp/done much faster than a Select brisket.
                  So many variables at play. Cook any lean piece of meat for the same time you cook a fatty piece and the lean piece will reach doneness well before the fatty piece.

Maybe the fat content in yours was so high there just isn't that much red meat left to cook. I know my primes take longer than my choices. I don't mess with Wagyu or Kobe as its just too much fat. Im a lean guy on brisket.
                  Last edited by Ætheling; 03-24-2021, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Thank you Gentlemen for your comments and suggestions, it has been most helpful.

Comment

I bought one at HEB and cooked the same as I do my prime 1 briskets, the Aaron Franklin way. Trim fat to 1/4" and remove thin spots and chunk fat. 50/50 mix of kosher salt & coarse black pepper mixed. Bring to room temp and smoke at 250 with fat side up. 1 to 1 1/2 hour per pound roughly. When internal reaches 160, pull and wrap in pink butcher paper. Cook until internal is 203, pull and leave wrapped to rest for at least 1 hour or until cool enough to handle if you can't wait. I used post oak for smoke.
                      Attached Files

Comment

^^^ phenomenal work, 30 mins right before lunch...

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                          That’s kinda odd. My prime briskets usually cook faster than choice or selects due to more fat content.
                          The more marbling it has, it seems to cook faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          X2

Comment

Thank you guys, very good information and just what I was looking for. It is appreciated very much.

Comment

Originally posted by H&H land man View Post
                              I generally allow time for 1.5 hours per pound. I'll rub down with salt and coarse ground pepper, throw on the smoker at 225 until it reaches 160-165 internal temp, then wrap until it reaches 205, then its time to eat! Sometimes if I'm tight on pellets I'll finish it in the oven once I wrap it, the brisket will only take so much smoke and I haven't noticed a difference in flavor when I finish in the oven.
                              Where do you take temps from, point or flat?

Comment

Working...
                              X