No announcement yet.

Pond and Lake Management Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should probably find out if there are fish in my two ~1/4 acre ponds. I know there is some amphibian life, but I have no clue what kind of management has been done in the past.

Comment

Water hyacinth? What can we use in a cypress pond to control the hyacinth and not kill other trees and vegetation?

Comment

I hope I’m not hijacking this thread but wanted to pick yalls brains. We are going to be making our 2.5 acre pond a constant level pond in February/March but want to get yalls input on where we need to set structure throughout the pond. Our pond is very deep in the middle (25ft) so I’m sure most of the structure will be around the perimeter in the 2-3ft down to 12ft of water and then add some other structure in the long “finger” that is around 4ft deep and 40 yards long. I don’t think we can do much for the middle of the pond where it’s very deep but maybe there’s some type of structure that can float around the 8-12ft depths. That way there are fish in ybr middle of the pond. The current pond level is around 10ft down due to the drought this year so I’d like to start adding as much structure as possible. I like the ideas of adding large rock/boulder piles throughout and also adding Mossback fish structure since they will last forever and hard to snag a hook. The only bad thing about the mossback structures is that they are expensive but it guess you get what you pay for. We’ve tried cedars and other trees but they degrade fairly quickly and the PVC structure we made in the past didn’t last longer than 4 years. Anyone have any ideas on how we should do this, how much structure we need to add, or if you know anyone that can offer some assistance? Our plan is to build a floating dock on the pond and make it a trophy bass pond, if possible. I’m happy to share pictures of the pond that shows the overall shape and how it looks currently and when it’s full.

I appreciate all of your help!

Comment

go to www.pondboss.com forum - lots of experts there who will provide great ideas and info

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
            I hope I’m not hijacking this thread but wanted to pick yalls brains. We are going to be making our 2.5 acre pond a constant level pond in February/March but want to get yalls input on where we need to set structure throughout the pond. Our pond is very deep in the middle (25ft) so I’m sure most of the structure will be around the perimeter in the 2-3ft down to 12ft of water and then add some other structure in the long “finger” that is around 4ft deep and 40 yards long. I don’t think we can do much for the middle of the pond where it’s very deep but maybe there’s some type of structure that can float around the 8-12ft depths. That way there are fish in ybr middle of the pond. The current pond level is around 10ft down due to the drought this year so I’d like to start adding as much structure as possible. I like the ideas of adding large rock/boulder piles throughout and also adding Mossback fish structure since they will last forever and hard to snag a hook. The only bad thing about the mossback structures is that they are expensive but it guess you get what you pay for. We’ve tried cedars and other trees but they degrade fairly quickly and the PVC structure we made in the past didn’t last longer than 4 years. Anyone have any ideas on how we should do this, how much structure we need to add, or if you know anyone that can offer some assistance? Our plan is to build a floating dock on the pond and make it a trophy bass pond, if possible. I’m happy to share pictures of the pond that shows the overall shape and how it looks currently and when it’s full.

I appreciate all of your help!
            I would put a couple of brush piles in that 25ft water. Bass and baitfish will Thankyou for it.

Comment

Just finished two ponds at my navarro co ranch. It is clay with partial solid rock base. How long after we start getting runnoff in the pond should I wait to start adding minnows and blue gill? I plan to at least let it get half full to check for leaking before spending any money on stocking but I have a small pond I will need to start removing larger blue gill and some small bass and wouldn't mind going ahead and transplanting them this yr since its free stocking.

Comment

Here is my lake that we closed the valve on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. It still likes about 4 vertical feet to fill. Water coming in from forest is leaf tea...brown, clear, and acidic. When full, it should be about 6 acres. I had about 12 tons of lime put out mostly on the slopes going into the lake last Monday in anticipation of rains to come Wednesday (which didn't come). Couldn't get any closer to the water with the truck. Hopefully, next rains will wash lime into lake.
                Any suggestions on when to stock minnows, or other things?

Comment

Well, here are pics.
                  Attached Files

Comment

My tanks in Navarro get really brown as well from all the oak leafs. Don’t think there is a cure for it but my fish don’t seem to mind.

Comment

We put minnows and very small perch in first spring after it filled up. Algae grows instantly and starts the food chain. Just don't put bass the first year or 2

Comment

I recently stocked 400 Hybrid blue catfish and 200 Hybrid striped bass in our 7 acre lake. They are supposed to be pellet trained, however it has been 6 weeks and I haven’t visually seen any of them.

The pond had been stocked with LMB, copper nose bluegill, redear perch etc. 7-8 years prior and I have a well established population of shiners and fathead minnows. I add minnows every year as well.

Is it normal for these new fish to take a while to come to the feeder? I feed twice a day and the established fish are regulars everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampasas View Post
                          I recently stocked 400 Hybrid blue catfish and 200 Hybrid striped bass in our 7 acre lake. They are supposed to be pellet trained, however it has been 6 weeks and I haven’t visually seen any of them.

The pond had been stocked with LMB, copper nose bluegill, redear perch etc. 7-8 years prior and I have a well established population of shiners and fathead minnows. I add minnows every year as well.

Is it normal for these new fish to take a while to come to the feeder? I feed twice a day and the established fish are regulars everyday.

How big were the catfish and hybrids when you stocked? They should be feeding by now in my experience....unless the stockers were very small and became fish food themselves.

Comment

Catfish were 7-9” and Hybrids were 5-7”

Comment

I figured at least the catfish would be coming to the feeder. I guess the Hybrids could be foraging on all of the new minnows still?

Comment

We just finished our new 2.5 acre pond in Oklahoma. They did a great job. Tons of structure and great topography. They did an excellent job.
                                Dream Ponds of Oklahoma. Soon as it fills it gonna be ready for sticker fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X