No announcement yet.

The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought my buddy was given the new RICO 640, but it turned out to be the 42mm 384 version. That thing is dam impressive for a 384 unit. I’d say it was very close to my original Trail XP50 640 unit. It wasn’t quite the Trail 2 XP50, but it no doubt an excellent value.

Comment

Went out dove hunting yesterday evening, and didn’t have any intentions of hog hunting last night. Went to my cousins new lease he has with his dad, and while we were cleaning birds and BSing one of the spypoint cams sent a picture of a pretty nice boar. I didn’t have my rifles with me, but I had one of my LRF2s in my backseat, and my cousins dad had a new Sightmark Wraith he had set up on an AR. He’s bird hunted in the past some, but he’s never killed anything else. He just bought the Wraith in anticipation of this lease.

So off to the feeder we went on foot in the dark. I was leading the way, as I was using my LRF2 as a scanner while walking, and staying downwind of the feeder. Right as we got to the feeder the boar had sauntered off, but staying just in the brushline. He was weary I’m assuming of the new feed pin they had put up that day. The wind was highly in our favor, and it was dark as it gets so he hasn’t busted us. We’ll we sat up and waited him out, and almost gave up two different times before he’d make a brief appearance again. Finally 2.5 hours later he fully leaves the brush line and makes his was to the feeder. He’s a big boar. We’ll i instruct the shooter on what to do and where to place it, he makes a good shot, but not a great shot. He was hit hard and not in great shape. I carry a G48 and always have a quality pocket light on me. Not being my first rodeo we head back to camp and grab the ranger. We drive in close as possible before I jump out and head in after him. The brush is really thick, and it didn’t take me long to find him. He made it known where he was, and he wasn’t happy about it either. I just kept my 48 holstered, but untucked and easy access. Soon enough he made an appearance about 8-10 yds in front of me, and about that time he charged (not very well I may add). 2 135 +Ps dropped him, but didn’t finish him. Took 2 more behind the ear when I got up to him. He ended up scaling at 241 with some pretty nice cutters. His head is sitting in an antpile right now letting them do their thing. Hopefully in a few weeks we’ll have something to show for it.

Comment

Went calling on Friday night and ended up with 5 fox from 4 stands. I love nights like those when it is super easy.

Comment

Called in a group of coyotes last night. Took over an hour to get them to come in. Ended up getting one of them.

Comment

Got my first DRT night kill tonight. I’m loving the Pulsar XM30. This is roughly a 130-40ish yard head shot.

Walked up to him and he only had 3 legs.

I can’t figure out how to load the video I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did you call that coyote in? If so what sounds were you using? Also I imagine the file size is too big on the video you have. If you want I can upload it to youtube for you and share it. PM me if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                Did you call that coyote in? If so what sounds were you using? Also I imagine the file size is too big on the video you have. If you want I can upload it to youtube for you and share it. PM me if you are interested.
                I didn't use any call last night. I just set up on a hill over looking a pasture where everything crosses back and forth. I did call Friday night on my first night out and used the cottontail call. That called in 3 and to be honest, it happened so fast I wasn't ready. I went to take a shot and found that my mag wasn't seated all the way so the round did not chamber. All new set up so all the kinks are out now.

Comment

Fixed the video, first link I put didn't have the pictures at the end of the video for some reason.

Bazo's hunt in the link below.

Last edited by Fordnandez; 09-13-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Fixed the video, first link I put didn't have the pictures at the end of the video for some reason.

Bazo's hunt in the link below.

https://youtu.be/z60bBpJW_ZM
                    Thank you sir.

Comment

Pretty impressed with the iray Rico 640. I’ve handled just about every thermal scope and this checks off all the boxes for features, image quality and battery life. The iray app also works much much better than pulsars stream vision.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post

Pretty impressed with the iray Rico 640. I’ve handled just about every thermal scope and this checks off all the boxes for features, image quality and battery life. The iray app also works much much better than pulsars stream vision.

Yeah I got a Rico 384 and I love it. The app is pretty solid and they just updated the live feature.

For the price its hard to beat. Nothing on my reap lol but not far off picture wise

Comment

Pulsar app is awful. I have tried all the tricks on different phone settings and what not and i cant get it to work recently. Up till a year or so ago everything was perfect and then one day it just decided it wasnt going to work any more.

Edit: I dont use the app to stream or get videos off but it is the only way I know of to do updates. I know of at least 1 update I need to do but cant.

Comment

Pulsar app is awful. I have tried all the tricks on different phone settings and what not and i cant get it to work recently. Up till a year or so ago everything was perfect and then one day it just decided it wasnt going to work any more.

Edit: I dont use the app to stream or get videos off but it is the only way I know of to do updates. I know of at least 1 update I need to do but cant.
                            While I do think the pulsar app needs work for sure I haven’t had any issues lately. I’ve got 2 LRF2s and an XG Thermion. It’s been working just fine on all 3.

I turn airplane mode on, and disconnect from the house WiFi. Then connect only to the pulsar, and in 2-3 minutes I can have any video on my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              I turn airplane mode on, and disconnect from the house WiFi. Then connect only to the pulsar, and in 2-3 minutes I can have any video on my phone.
                              Sounds like what I do with the IRAY app.

Can download it in the field if I wanted to. Not that I do

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                                While I do think the pulsar app needs work for sure I haven’t had any issues lately. I’ve got 2 LRF2s and an XG Thermion. It’s been working just fine on all 3.

I'll have to give this a try. I can't get the Pulsar app to work at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X