No announcement yet.

East Texas tracking wounded deer with dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had a wounded deer and I needed a dog to find it, I’d put my JRT on the track. Period ! I never let him off a leash anyway so I can’t see the harm in that. I follow the laws, but on that one, I’d have to be an outlaw. In my mind, recovering an animal takes precedence over a silly law. If you want to stop guys running deer with dogs, catch them in the act and fine the hell out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
      I’d stop with their reply you’ve already received and carry it with me.
      I should but I want to be 100% with out a doubt that i am in the right. This would also clear the air for everyone else.

Comment

Wow, ya'll are making this difficult. You cannot hunt deer with dogs anywhere in Texas. You can use tracking dogs in Texas to find a wounded deer. In every county. All of them. But, there are 10 counties (the heart of the old dog-running area) where you just can't carry a shotgun while tracking a deer with dogs.

Comment

Once again do not follow the information from that email. The email answer combined two seperate statutes that are unrelated. Contact a Game Warden from one of the 10 counties. I know several Wardens from at least 5 of those 10 counties personally. It is illegal at this time to use a dog to track wounded deer in those counties. All Game Warden phone numbers are listed on the TPWD website by County. I sent you a PM with a number to one of them who will answer your call today. I already contacted him about the email response.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
            Wow, ya'll are making this difficult. You cannot hunt deer with dogs anywhere in Texas. You can use tracking dogs in Texas to find a wounded deer. In every county. All of them. But, there are 10 counties (the heart of the old dog-running area) where you just can't carry a shotgun while tracking a deer with dogs.
            False.

Comment

Ignorant law imo. What does it hurt having a tracking dog on leash? Nothing, heck just tell them you are taking your dog on a walk.

Comment

It is not legal to track with a dig in Angelina, Hardin, Jasper, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Sabine, San Augustine, Shelby and Tyler counties.

Comment

It looks like it’s not illegal to use a tracking to find a wounded deer but it is illegal to be in possession of a firearm while you do so...

Comment

Originally posted by JB_Archery View Post
                    It looks like it’s not illegal to use a tracking to find a wounded deer but it is illegal to be in possession of a firearm while you do so...
                    False.

Comment

OP, I would talk with your local GW for clarification. I may be wrong, but I am not sure you emailed the correct folks at TPWD. You need to get a response from their law enforcement division, not public hunts I would think.

Ultimately, it up to your local GW though in his/her interpretation.

Comment

Lord have mercy yall. I reached out to friends at TPWD. Hopefully the OP will receive another email fixing this soon. The email he received was not from the LE division. It was from the education department and public hunting staff, not law enforcement.

Once again in the 10 LISTED East Texas Counties, by law you CANNOT use a dog to track a wounded deer period at this time.... doesn't matter if you are unarmed. Period you cannot use a dog to track a wounded deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                          OP, I would talk with your local GW for clarification. I may be wrong, but I am not sure you emailed the correct folks at TPWD. You need to get a response from their law enforcement division, not public hunts I would think.

Ultimately, it up to your local GW though in his/her interpretation.
                          Perfect .

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            It is not legal to track with a dig in Angelina, Hardin, Jasper, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Sabine, San Augustine, Shelby and Tyler counties.
                            Stop making this difficult, Brent!!

Originally posted by BCBHunter712 View Post
                            Lord have mercy yall. I reached out to friends at TPWD. Hopefully the OP will receive another email fixing this soon. The email he received was not from the LE division. It was from the education department and public hunting staff, not law enforcement.

Once again in the 10 LISTED East Texas Counties, by law you CANNOT use a dog to track a wounded deer period at this time.... doesn't matter if you are unarmed. Period you cannot use a dog to track a wounded deer.
                            its literally in the regs under every one of the counties mentioned. It states, sandwiched in between the Antlerless Deer section and the MLDP section, Prohibited: All Dogs

And yes, I took the few minutes to look at all 10 counties this morning

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post

What makes it difficult for people to understand in all of the incorrect answers they get, like yours....

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                What makes it difficult for people to understand in all of the incorrect answers they get, like yours....
                                This.

Also....

It’s perfectly acceptable to say either “I don’t know” or to say nothing at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X