No announcement yet.

You’re getting old when......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the story of my whole hometown. I'm raising my kids in the same town that my grandparents raised my parents....same for my wife's side. However, it isn't nowhere near the same place. I remember being a kid and my dad telling me how much things had changed. Now I tell my kids the same thing, but to an even greater degree. I miss when all we had was Mayer's Grocery and Feed, Sassie's Burgers, Dairy Queen, Foster Food Mart, Bettis Exxon and Milam Gulf Station. There was four-way stop at Hwy 59 and FM1314 and the feeder road was 2-way. We had a volunteer fire department that had fish fries and BBQ lunches. The Pentacostal church had chicken-fried steak dinner every Thursday and would deliver. Spring and Summer was spent at the the ballpark and Porter and New Caney shared a junior high and high school. Everybody knew everybody. It was a great place to be a kid.

Comment

Well

No matter where you sleep tonight...wherever you call home... someone...sometime...hunted,fished or farmed on that spot.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        I killed many deer in Austin what is now South Park Meadows.
        remember ruby ranch?

Comment

I can't quit thinking about that place. Lots of memories. Me and my hunting buddy were getting all geared up for bow season. Lots of excitement, and I blow my right shoulder out (I'm right handed) 3 weeks before the opener. I went anyway just to be in camp and my buddy comes up with this bright idea to put down some hand corn on top of a little pressure ridge. Then we were both going to sit next to a live oak and see what happens when the sun comes up. Right at legal shooting light, maybe a hair before, a doe walks up. We only see her because she is silhouetted against the sky (ok, maybe a little earlier than shooting light than either of us would like to admit).

He's on my right. The doe came out on my left. My buddy is left handed. About a nano second goes by and I hear him whisper "duck". So I did. The arrow went right over me and nailed the doe. We walked back to camp, waited 20 minutes, and tracked her down. Dead as a door nail with a great double lung shot.

Good times.

Comment

I got to know this really, really, really old guy. One day we got to talking about where I built my house and he told me he used to poach...I mean hunt deer on my street.

Did I mention this guy was really old? I think he used the term whipper snapper in our conversation...

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              This is the story of my whole hometown. I'm raising my kids in the same town that my grandparents raised my parents....same for my wife's side. However, it isn't nowhere near the same place. I remember being a kid and my dad telling me how much things had changed. Now I tell my kids the same thing, but to an even greater degree. I miss when all we had was Mayer's Grocery and Feed, Sassie's Burgers, Dairy Queen, Foster Food Mart, Bettis Exxon and Milam Gulf Station. There was four-way stop at Hwy 59 and FM1314 and the feeder road was 2-way. We had a volunteer fire department that had fish fries and BBQ lunches. The Pentacostal church had chicken-fried steak dinner every Thursday and would deliver. Spring and Summer was spent at the the ballpark and Porter and New Caney shared a junior high and high school. Everybody knew everybody. It was a great place to be a kid.
              It has sure changed a lot in the 20 years since I graduated high school. The old kroger that is now Harbor Freight is where every party started.

The hood we live is where I killed my first few deer.

The 2 high school thing still kinda trips me out.

Comment

I remember when Plano only had 2 gas stations, 1 grocery store and half the streets were dirt. The whole town was on the east side of 75. West side was nothing but farm land.

Comment

Yep, the woods across from my folks' house in Keller on FM 1709 are now a plastic surgeon's office, an oral surgeon's office, gold course and big fancy houses. Was a horse ranch with lots of wooded area and a creek running through it. We had free run of the place. It was a great place to grow up. The place I used to dove hunt and fish some of the best stock tanks around is now a huge neighborhood. It was a good sized dairy farm. Funny, they named the neighborhood the same thing as the actual dairy farm that used to be in that spot "Crawford Farms", up in north Fort Worth/Keller. Mr. Crawford was the owner/operator of his dairy farm, but was also the counselor at the high school. I was friends with his youngest daughter. We were able to fish any time we wanted. Dove hunting was pretty solid around those stock tanks during dove season. Every time I drive by there, I remember and wonder if the folks that live in Crawford Farms even realize that it actually was "Crawford Farms." I'm told when he finally cut it loose, he sold that place for $11,000,000.00! Wouldn't surprise me at all, it was a good sized chunk of land in a prime spot.

Comment

I killed my first buck in Helotes, Tx and now there is an apartment complex and pizza hut and other stuff sitting right where I celebrated the kill. I hate to look at it.

Comment

My Grandfather who was born in Goliad County in 1903, and moved to Houston to get a job in 1917, use to quail hunt where Astroworld once was.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                        It has sure changed a lot in the 20 years since I graduated high school. The old kroger that is now Harbor Freight is where every party started.

The hood we live is where I killed my first few deer.

The 2 high school thing still kinda trips me out.
                        Leander had one long school when I first started school here in 3rd grade. Elementary, Junior and High school were one block with Admin also. Football "stadium" (which was old wooden bleachers divided Junior and High)

Now we have 28 Elementaries and 5 HS's I lose count now..It's crazy

Comment

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
                          No matter where you sleep tonight...wherever you call home... someone...sometime...hunted,fished or farmed on that spot.
                          No truer words.

When I was mad at the prairie ducks my dad and I would drive by houses and he would talk about hunting in that area. We'd drive further south and hunt. Now, I drive by those spots further south and tell my kid I used to hunt there.

1/2 million dollar homes on places between katy and Fulshear where we would slaughter birds from dove season to late goose. Even snipe a pig or two after hunts

Comment

where I grew up and hunted is still about same mostly cotton corn maize rice soy beans and less natural pasture...a few more homes scattered...Used to be overun with Ducks geese doves quail rabbits cotton tail and jacks.. few cotton tails around and Jack Rabbits are gone ain't seen one in Years....As far as game mentioned above plenty doves a few quail..Waterfowl used to me like Millions now thousands...

Comment

Why does everyone my age look so old?

Comment

yep, time marches on!!! I used to hunt and fish where DFW Airport is now. And all around Grapevine Lake. I don't like it and they call it progress. I call it somethingelse.

Comment

Working...
                                X