No announcement yet.

Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a trap that apparently just barely caught whatever tripped it. It was a dirt hole set. Is this common if the pan tension isn’t hard enough? Trap was at the end of the cable about 3 foot from set. Set was not dug out, just a perfect depression where the trap had been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the best lure during the mating season?

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
        I had a trap that apparently just barely caught whatever tripped it. It was a dirt hole set. Is this common if the pan tension isn’t hard enough? Trap was at the end of the cable about 3 foot from set. Set was not dug out, just a perfect depression where the trap had been.

Sounds like a deer pullout or possibly pig.
        Deer will jerk out of trap and leave it just like you described.

Some kind of gland lure and a squirt of good urine

At least that is what I am using

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Got to trap a pine plantation a few weeks back and pulled up everything today. I'm going to quit driving the super stakes so deep with all the roots in those forests. Like to broke my back and shovel getting them out. Or get some with fins.

Comment

Yes

Comment

I killed a hog on my brother's part and dragged it to my part. Split him open and dragged him by the last 2 sets i have out. Put in a 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by farlow View Post
                  Got to trap a pine plantation a few weeks back and pulled up everything today. I'm going to quit driving the super stakes so deep with all the roots in those forests. Like to broke my back and shovel getting them out. Or get some with fins.
                  You can use a hand drill auger to get your stakes out. And make dirt holes.

Comment

You new trappers, something to check out.
                    [ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoSsF5pT8M&t=29s"]Coyote Locations, Avoidance, and Refusals - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                      You can use a hand drill auger to get your stakes out. And make dirt holes.
                      Although this particular auger is not ver good, this is the general idea.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Any well made set works, but use a little gland lure on them.

Comment

Any well made set works, but use a little gland lure on them.

Thank you
                          I got some today

Comment

Although this particular auger is not ver good, this is the general idea.
                            Make sure you move over just a bit from the anchor or it will be all wrapped up around the auger bit
                            I speak from experience

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              Make sure you move over just a bit from the anchor or it will be all wrapped up around the auger bit
                              I speak from experience
                              Yeah, I've ruined a couple myself.

Comment

Just a little side note about augers

If the wife likes to garden and is planting bulbs you can break out the auger and earn some brownie points
                                Of course when I decided to help mine out she went and bought 2 more bags of the things

Got me an expanded pan MB550 in the mail today. Gonna try my luck at a bobcat set.
                                May be a while before one comes by I guess, see them on game camera every so often. Never have found any tracks or scat that I know of

Comment

Working...
                                X