Gun Appraisal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Appraisal

Just curious if anyone knows of a reputable place/person to appraise a gun for me. It is a very old double barrel 10 guage shotgun from a gunmaker in England. I'm thinking it is from the late 1800's to early 1900's. I inheritated it and just curious what the value of it may be.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post some pics and info on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It will likely be a tough one if there is no true history of any sold items of the same gun purchased recently on the net...only suggestion I have is to post pics to know condition & the make / model to see if it can be researched.

It's like asking what a 1/4 truck is worth...these are 10ga searches.

Buy and sell new and used guns online from anywhere in the world on Guns International, including pistols, shotguns, rifles, handguns, revolvers, ammo and more.

Find shotguns for sale at GunBroker.com, the world's largest gun auction site. You can buy shotguns with confidence on GunBroker.com
      Last edited by Artos; 03-21-2023, 10:02 PM.

Comment

It looks like the 10 gauge was invented in 1932, but some older models in England. Can you tell what brand? J Purdey?
        Last edited by jaspermac; 03-22-2023, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Where are you located? Larry Feland in houston would probably be a good source of information, or collectors firearms maybe

Comment

Gun Appraisal

Thank you for all the replies. I will try and get some pictures tonight when I get home.

I am located in Fort Worth for those asking.

It does have some engraving on it but I don’t remember off the top of my head. It has some gold inlays and the two hammers are horses/horse feet if I remember correctly. It’s been in my safe for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My unprofessional opinion is that it’s priceless since you inherited it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There used to be some guys at Winchester range over on Lancaster & 820 that would have known. Might give them a call. My friend here in Euless EGA is retired and the boys working there now won't have a clue. Maybe someone associated with Alpine gun range might know since they shoot a lot of scatter guns down there.

Comment

If it's a W.W. Greener stagecoach gun it might be worth a lot
                  I think Greener breech load doubles came out around 1875. those were damascus barrels and used black powder loads

Comment

Shotgunworld.com has a lot of information. I inherited a old english sxs built by P. Webley & Sons in London that I think I narrowed down to be built from 1893-1897. Both hammers are broken at different places, but it is a beautiful gun that makes a great conversation piece. Values for it in 2009 appeared to be 1k-3k, but don't believe that accounted for any damage. Never got it officially inspected.

Comment

If European, I’m guessing it’s a guild gun. Possibly made by an apprentice GS who did elaborate metal and wood work. Most of those guns are no longer shootable due to the Damascus steel used. They’re known as wall hangers and family heirlooms. If you have what I’m describing, value is insurance around $250. Since it’s family, it’s priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                        It looks like the 10 gauge was invented in 1932, but some older models in England. Can you tell what brand? J Purdey?
                        Ten gauges are much older than that. That date could be right for the ten gauge for smokeless powders I don’t know, but ten gauges were popular in the 1800s. Most farmers had a shotgun and lots of them were ten gauges. My grandpa had one but I never saw it. My dad told me about it and he was born in 1906.

Comment

I can make out C.F. Manton, London on the barrel. It says #613 I believe. It's definitely not in the best shape, but it's really cool looking.

Comment

Upload some pictures!

Comment

10-4. Taking some now.......

Comment

Working...
                              X