2023 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fooser View Post
    Awesome thread!! So, I need to outfit my new friend with thermal optics and could use some recommendations….

.300 Blk, AR platform (suppressed)
    Longest spotting range will be 200yds, but 99% of shots will be under 120yds, with the vast majority of shots within 50-75 yds
    Minimum of 2.5hrs of battery life
    Needs to support multiple reticle/trajectory calibrations (ie super & sub-sonic)
    Within $4k….
    I don’t really care for the riflescope style… but not totally against it.
    Would Love something in dark drown to match rifle
    Hey Fooser there are a lot of good options in that fit that bill. Still some more questions to be asked as well. I'd suggest giving us a call one day and we'll be glad to talk it out with you over the phone and offer a few suggestions for you to research more. Give us a holler any time. (877)350-1818

Comment

Originally posted by Fooser View Post
      Awesome thread!! So, I need to outfit my new friend with thermal optics and could use some recommendations….

.300 Blk, AR platform (suppressed)
      Longest spotting range will be 200yds, but 99% of shots will be under 120yds, with the vast majority of shots within 50-75 yds
      Minimum of 2.5hrs of battery life
      Needs to support multiple reticle/trajectory calibrations (ie super & sub-sonic)
      Within $4k….
      I don’t really care for the riflescope style… but not totally against it.
      Would Love something in dark drown to match rifle
      I have this same setup and I’m running the Behring Optics Super Hogster. It works incredibly well and I’m really happy with the scope.

Comment

I usually over analyze things taking a long time researching technology. Last night made a very rash decision and bought a trijicon IR-Hunter for which I’m now stressing over.

They were giving you a free Tenmile riflescope if you purchased before Jan-31. Since I needed the scope for another project, the $2k savings will offset the cost of the thermal and put me right at $4k. So, I figured it was a win-win, but I cant find anything on this thermal. Is it the same thing as the MKIII??

With the ITAR certification, i still have time to cancel…. Am I better of with the Trijicon at $4k or am I stull buying the brand/label?

Comment

I am running 6.5 Grendel currently with an armasight predator thermal. I use pulsar thermal binoculars for scanning. I want to upgrade my riffle scope. I hunt saw ok and are looking at animals as far Ada mile at times. Want a 640 resolution scope. I am a buy right the first time person. Very interested in the iRay due to their warranty but am open to pulsar, AGM, Hogster, I need tough durable optic. What would you recommend. Will use for coyotes and pigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Axis doe with the Wraith on a frankenAR. Delton upper rebarreled to 6.8 SPC, AR Stoner barrel, and a Rock River lower. It has slayed many hogs up to 270 lb., most of them DRT with a high shoulder shot.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              Axis doe with the Wraith on a frankenAR. Delton upper rebarreled to 6.8 SPC, AR Stoner barrel, and a Rock River lower. It has slayed many hogs up to 270 lb., most of them DRT with a high shoulder shot.
              What is that out on the front? And dose it not block the view of the scope? Nice groceries, congrats.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s the IR torch that I used with my NV scope before I bought the Wraith. I think I need to take it off, but it doesn’t block the view. I do think it renders the IR light on the scope useless though, it “whites out” if I turn it on. That was my maiden voyage with the Wraith, I’m still learning it !

Comment

Did some rabbit hunting for my dad, they been tearing up his garden the past few seasons and he finally had enough of it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-dLTtbr8Dc"]Thermal Rabbit Hunt - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

This is probably going to be a stupid question but here it goes. Will light whether it be red,green,amber or white light hurt the internals of a thermal scope or scanner? I've looked at a coyote through night vision while someone shined a white light on it and it completely whites out everything. That's why I wondered if it would mess with a thermal. I don't know if it will hurt night vision either. I just know it doesn't work very well because it whites out the scope.

And yes, that coyote got away. It heard me cussin because I thought the scope jacked up on me all the sudden. I was about to shoot it in the chest and everything turned white. Son of a.... biscuit eater.
                    Last edited by okrattler; 03-13-2023, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      This is probably going to be a stupid question but here it goes. Will light whether it be red,green,amber or white light hurt the internals of a thermal scope or scanner? I've looked at a coyote through night vision while someone shined a white light on it and it completely whites out everything. That's why I wondered if it would mess with a thermal. I don't know if it will hurt night vision either. I just know it doesn't work very well because it whites out the scope.

And yes, that coyote got away. It heard me cussin because I thought the scope jacked up on me all the sudden. I was about to shoot it in the chest and everything turned white. Son of a.... biscuit eater.
                      thermal put out a graphic view of minute temperature differences .. light has no effect whatsoever on it ... you can look at a car driving toward you at night and you can't see the headlights at all aside from a different shade from the rest of the body of the car because it's not exactly the same temperature...

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                        thermal put out a graphic view of minute temperature differences .. light has no effect whatsoever on it ... you can look at a car driving toward you at night and you can't see the headlights at all aside from a different shade from the rest of the body of the car because it's not exactly the same temperature...
                        Oh okay. I didn't figure it would but I figured I'd ask to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post

light per se will not. However, we used thermal for maintenance problem discovery at work. We have two very high temp furnaces and it states "do not" view excessive temperatures. Both Fluke and Flir stated this. So, there may be certain light that damages it, but everyday normal activities will not/should not hurt them.

Comment

Well finally got me a thermal. Got a used pulsar core rxq30v for cheap. Should do everything I need till I upgrade in a couple of years. That said can't decide what I want to put it on. Be used for pigs and coyotes. I have 2 ARs I can stick it on. Would you put it on the 7.62*39 or the 5.56?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                              Well finally got me a thermal. Got a used pulsar core rxq30v for cheap. Should do everything I need till I upgrade in a couple of years. That said can't decide what I want to put it on. Be used for pigs and coyotes. I have 2 ARs I can stick it on. Would you put it on the 7.62*39 or the 5.56?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
                              For pigs I'd prefer the 7.62x39.

Comment

2023 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Coyote bit the dust tonight.

Also, forgot my flashlight so I’m really glad my iRay handheld has a built in flashlight. That’s what I used to take the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X