No announcement yet.

Perfect thermal/night vision host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve got a wilson combat AR, Hyperion k suppressor, and Thermion 2 XP50 that I like a lot.

AR is 6.8 SPC. I wanted something lighter than the AR 10’s I had and more grains than the .223.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Different for everyone.

I like short, lightweight rifles that hold lots of ammo. So I like the AR15. Short, light guns are just easier to move around inside a vehicle, walk with and shoot offhand with. Especially under low light or NODs. Since I'm a fan of the .223/5.56 that's what I choose.

I'm personally not a fan of the AR10 or it's clones. I do like the idea of the Ruger SFAR and will probably be checking one out before too long.

Comment

Perfect thermal host, for doing what? The animal you are chasing and the country you are chasing it in has an awful lot to do with it. Calling coyotes nothing wrong with a good accurate bolt gun in a varmint cartridge. Hammering big pigs an AR-10 sure has some good attributes. Just for all around, general purpose doing some of both I personally feel a fairly short, light, accurate AR-15 in 6.5 G or 6.8 SPC is pretty hard to beat. Something like that will handle about anything you throw at it pretty well.

Comment

My thermal lives on a 7.62x39 AR 15. I've tried a Grendel, and a 5.56, they don't possess enough posterior to anchor pigs as fast as I want. Tried an AR 10, but I didn't like carrying a truck axle. The Commie caliber works great with the 154 gr steel cased soft points. The 350 legend now has my interest, I may try that next.

Comment

Get that new Ruger small platform AR10 thing they came out with. 308 is a solid performer on piggies. It’s lighter and smaller than a traditional AR10. Think it has a 16” barrel which would be my choice when I’m putting a suppressor on it.

Comment

Honey Badger topped with a Trijicon Reap IR

Comment

I am running a 16 inch LWRC 6.8 A5 with a Surefire 300sps topped with an IR defense MKII. Put plenty of hogs, bobcats and coyotes down at our place. It is small and has plenty of power without all the weight of an AR-10. Got tired of carrying the AR-10 around the wheat fields at night in the panhandle.

Comment

Haven’t ordered yet but just about convinced myself to go with a 12” 6.5 Grendel. About $600 all on and already have the optic.

Comment

6.8 spc or 6.5 grendel. Then the 308. Not a fan of the recoil and heavier rifle.
                    The 2 rounds I mentioned allow u to stay on target easier and always put down what you hit.
                    No 300 blk
                    No 5.56

Comment

Originally posted by ET8300 View Post
                      I am running a 16 inch LWRC 6.8 A5 with a Surefire 300sps topped with an IR defense MKII. Put plenty of hogs, bobcats and coyotes down at our place. It is small and has plenty of power without all the weight of an AR-10. Got tired of carrying the AR-10 around the wheat fields at night in the panhandle.

That’s why I switched and it’s way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post
                        Get that new Ruger small platform AR10 thing they came out with. 308 is a solid performer on piggies. It’s lighter and smaller than a traditional AR10. Think it has a 16” barrel which would be my choice when I’m putting a suppressor on it.

Took my SFAR .308 out for its maiden voyage this weekend. Unfortunately I had some issues that will require a trip back to Ruger to get sorted out.

When I sighted in at the range it functioned properly (8 rounds) until the last round, then the bolt stuck in the receiver and had to be coerced out. I had noticed it was a bit stiff when I cleaned it and oiled prior to shooting (yes - I cleaned it, so it wasn’t manufacturing debris), but guessed it just needed to be cycled a bit to loosen up. Got it home, broke it down, cleaned it again and lubed well. Cycled smoothly and I thought all was well. After 3 rounds this weekend the bolt locked up again, and this time we can’t get it freed up. Took it to my local shop today, will have an update tomorrow if they can ID root cause.

Comment

8” ar in 8.6blk with a can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X